Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:40:17
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

The fuss is question is about whether WIndows 8 is fit to fly so to speak. That includes fit to fly as a beta. I would suggest that it is very flawed at present and I'm not sure that it is a geat model at all. It's just plain badly designed and the obtuse manner of shutting it down is symptomatic of this. Why should you need to research such things? Research is for finding out how some obscure function works in Excel. You shouldn't need to research how to turn a PC off. crazy

There was a time I might have said this probably wouldn't be bad news for the PC world because PC users would just buy it. However, then came Vista and then came the utter failure of Microsoft to gain any traction at all in the phone and tablet market. Clearly, PC users don't just buy it if Microsoft start selling it. As an avowed fan of Apple, you might think that I'd think this would be great news, but that simply isn't true. I think it's good to have more than iOS and Android about in phones (I suspect that Blackberry is already being written off as an also ran). Moreover, I think that to all intents have nothing but the iPad in the tablet market isn't a great place to be. It could do with some healthy competition.

The fact is that Microsoft is looking more than a little bit vulnerable. If you are a fan then you should be worried if people are not happy with Windows 8. It may be that if WIndows 8 doesn't fly that there will never be a Windows 9. Instead you might find that it was replaced by Google PC or OS X 11.0 after Microsoft's share price entered terminal decline and it vanished in a takeover.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:46:37
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I can't imagine hibernate not being perfect for people who think they want to shut down.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:49:58
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
The fuss is question is about whether WIndows 8 is fit to fly so to speak. That includes fit to fly as a beta. I would suggest that it is very flawed at present and I'm not sure that it is a geat model at all. It's just plain badly designed and the obtuse manner of shutting it down is symptomatic of this. Why should you need to research such things? Research is for finding out how some obscure function works in Excel. You shouldn't need to research how to turn a PC off. crazy
I think it's been hidden because no-one needs to use it anymore.

The comparison between Vista (bad) and Windows 7 (good) is amusing given that 7 was just an incremental update to Vista - they're not completely different but almost exactly the same.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:39:00
Print Post

As ever, if you tunnel down one layer you are in what might as well be XP and tunnel down one layer further and you are mostly back to WIndows 95.

They thus just add new layers between the user and the functions the user is tying to access.

Even at the Windows build conference Steven Sinofsky specifically addressed the concern head on that they were adding layers - and assured everyone they were not - and proved it with an example of the resource usage in Windows 8 compared to Windows 7. Also, if you tried Windows 8, which I gather you have, you'd realise when seeing the speed it performs -- it has definately not been bolted on to Windows 7.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:43:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The capacity of your imagination is not the issue here.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:46:52
Print Post

At first it took me a few moments to find out how to shut down, but after that, I know... Big deal, it's no different to learning to go the bottom left, click on start (Or the windows logo) and then select shut down there.

(FYI Windows as we know it is all still there... ALT+F4 will bring up shutdown for example..)

Just like I had to learn to point the pointed in the corners to do things in Windows 8 - as it happens I did work most (not all) of this out before reading, but, if you don't take the trouble to find out, what do you expect.

If you don't invest any time in advance learning how to do something then you will fail regardless of how easy it is made for you. Nothing is 100% self-explanatory

Using it more it is clear Microsoft have done an amazing and extremely smart job at bringing it to the tablet and modernising without compromising with the classic Windows feel. If you used Windows 7 with a touch tablet, you'd know why the start menu was replaced as that was the single most awkward thing to use on a Windows 7 tablet.

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 04-Mar-12 16:04:43)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:48:18
Print Post

Please explain how hibernate fails if you do not use the computer every day?

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:01:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It doesn't fail. It just may not be what is wanted.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:05:39
Print Post

As I said, it seems a perfect alternative.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:07:47
Print Post

Ah, there is the difference between us. I don't see Operating Systems as things to be a fan of; I just want to use them. And the more I use Windows 8 the more I like it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to