Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 17:59:26
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Which is why I avoid betas. Unfortunately I am in the position of possibly neeeding to upgrade my desktop from Vista and was wondering whether to go to W7 or hang on for W8.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:09:59
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Really? So you immediately knew how to bin apps by holding on an icon for a few seconds? Same as you knew that if you double tap the button, you get the small menu bar appear at the bottom?

You may have used logic to see what happens when you do that, or even used logic to guess that's how you would do it - but this is just not obvious from the go.

As it happens, I still believe that Windows is far more intuitive than Apple/Mac to use, perhaps Windows is more instruction heavy, but I never had problems reading a sentence, and it's better than an ambiguous icon. That is where people fall down when using Windows, they don't read properly.

(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:34:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Nice try. My iPhone turns off the same way as every phone I have ever used. Apple sensibly didn't opt to but this in some opaque location. Which makes sense since it is a phone. I don't need to crawl under a desk to access it like I do with the power button on my PC tower at home and in the office. Other arguments on this board have said "I just shut the lid and let it hibernate". That's just great if you have a laptop, but not a button on a tower or media centre that is shoved out of the way and where the button is simply not easy to access.

I don't think this mode of shutting down is about a logic that makes Windows more convenient to shut down. It patently doesn't do that. It's about a logic to makes Windows more tablet like, which is great if you are using a tablet, but flawed if you are using a tower and will not work in a corporate setting where said button is disabled for very good reasons. It'll fly even less in a corporate environment where the PC is physically locked away in a cupboard or headlessly operated and in another building entirely.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:40:31
Print Post

Well, if it's anything like an iPad, that's not powering it off, merely suspending it. smile

Perhaps not so intuitive after all?
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:41:31
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Which is why I avoid betas.
Very sensible! This thread would be much shorter if everybody did the same.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:52:18
Print Post

I like Windows 8. I think it has an awful lot going for it. I think the Metro bit will mature into something really innovative (which is very rare indeed for Microsoft). I have a few issues though. One is the shutdown/restart one which is plainly bad design although I can see where it comes from and another is the daft inclusion of the ribbon interface in explorer windows (another bit of remorseless logic at work there). That later one won't bother me since I can ignore this daft array of tools that I wil never use. The former isn't a deal breaker, but it is a back breaker - literally when like me you have serious back problems. I'll get used to the new way if it makes it to RTM. I suspect it'll change though.

Apple are guilty of this at times too. They jumped trough hoops trying to justify the one button mouse long after everyone else moved on and Mac users were busy replacing their apple mise with two and three button third party ones. Then they embraced multitouch which is about as far removed for the one button mentality as you can get. crazy

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:03:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I rarely power off PCs. that's why its so easy to have the thing essentially inaccessable, which makes any argument that someone at Microsoft thinks the power button is what I should seem daft to me. It's patently not convenient in lots of instances.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:13:32
Print Post

Only used an iPad once and I recall that it you held the power button down (as you do on an iphone) it throws up a slide to power off option same as an iphone. Has something changed since then? All devices of this sort seem to need a press and hold to power up and down so that's normal. I would expect a quick press on said button on a pad to lock/suspend/sleep or suchlike.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:34:22
Print Post

No. But holding the power button down, rather than just pushing it, is not intuitive. And then you have to slide an on-screen button as well! What a hopeless mish-mash of unintuitive interfaces. Arguably, a physical power button is fairly intuitive. But the fact that it does something different if you hold it down for 10 seconds is not at all obvious.

But, TBH, I find it just as easy, and just as difficult, as powering off a Windows 8 computer.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:36:14
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Really? So you immediately knew how to bin apps by holding on an icon for a few seconds? [/quote}

Yep discovered that one when trying to move an icon on day one since holding my finger down on an icon was the only thing that might do what I wanted to do.

[quote]Same as you knew that if you double tap the button, you get the small menu bar appear at the bottom?

That I saw being demoed when they brought out that version of iOS. I never use it myself.

I think we can agree to disagree on ease of use. I've always found that Microsoft are their own worst enemy. Too many options. Too many things buried in obscure places. Too many sorts of interface elements. Far too many legacy things going on. I think the biggest change that they could make in Windows would be a radical rationalisation, but that might put whole swathes of the PC support industry that Windows obtuseness supports out of work. laugh

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to