Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:44:16
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Have you ever used a phone that didn't require pressing the power button being held down to invoke a power down? I'm pretty sure one of mine didn't power down with that. That just brought up the option on the screen with a yes/no attached to bottonsbelow the screen.

I'm not sure why the slide to power off bit is there other than to stop an accidental power down, but it's pretty much self explanatory and consistent with unlocking the phone. It doesnt say slide for settings which then calls up a window with a power off thing that then brings up a menu from which you can select power off.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:55:17
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Even worse than powering an iOS device off is powering it on. I press the power button and I expect it to switch on. But, no - I'm then presented with a second, on-screen switch to slide. What's all that about? It's like Apple is saying to me "You didn't really want to switch it on, did you?". This is not ergonomic design.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Mar-12 22:04:04
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
As it happens, I still believe that Windows is far more intuitive than Apple/Mac to use, perhaps Windows is more instruction heavy, but I never had problems reading a sentence, and it's better than an ambiguous icon. That is where people fall down when using Windows, they don't read properly.

Now I believe the opposite, I have always considered that the Mac OS (pre X or X) 'gets in the way' less than Windows. I have been a user of windows since the 3.1 days and DOS prior to that but I try to avoid it these days.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 22:35:20
Print Post

If all that is still too difficult, just create a shortcut and put it on the desktop or Start screen. Then it will be a single mouse click.

I've seen a few suggestions for various things in WIndows 8 thus far that come up with a shortcut on the desktop or start screen as a 'solution'. I would ask why such things need a 'solution' at all if the OS is doing what it should. For me that means being transparently easy to use. It's especially perverse to be using such options when Microsoft have been trying to dissuade users from having loads of things on the desktop for years. crazy

People who don't want to tinker with betas really shouldn't be tinkering with a beta.

I've not heard somethingquite so arrogant in some time. Of course people want to mess with public betas. That;s the point of them. I note that Microsoft don't call this WIndows 8 release a beta, though. They call it a 'Customer Preview'. In my case (as a consumer) it is utterly disfinctional on way more levels than this stupid power down issue. Have you heard me complain about these? I accept 100% that a lot of this is a work in progress and may not work as advertised. There is a differece here. The power off issue raised by me here and large numbers elsewhere isn't a beta issue. It isn't a bug or oddity affecting some users in a certain time zone when there is an 'r' in the month. Those are beta issues. Istead, someone willfully decided to do it this way and people very high up in Microsoft have gone along with it. Given that it is somethng so incredibly basic one can't help but speculate about what they are trying to achieve by doing it this way.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 22:50:09
Print Post

I don't argue with what you say other than to point out that the phone has booted up regardless of wether you use that slider. It will ring and calls are answerable. You can also make an emergency call using it. What you can't do is anything else without the PIN, which makes perfect sense in security terms since it means that you can't circumvent the security by simply rebooting the phone. This means thaty the appearance of the slider is again consistent with the normal behaviour of the OS in terms of unlocking it.

What you describe has nothing to do with ergonomics incidentally. That's a wholly different field in terms of product design.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 23:55:17
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Apple are not turnng 10.8 into an iteration of iOS. They are (among other things) taking some very familiar aspects of a very successful mobile OS and using them in a very familiar desktop one to do new things that the OS doesn't do now. With Metro in WIndows 8 Microsoft are taking unfamiliar aspects of a completely unproven tablet OS (although it has been seen by a vainshly small number of users who always buy the wrong thing) and making them absolutely central to how to access their core desktop OS. I'm not sure whether that is pragmatic, visionary, desperate or plain suicidal.

A few years ago I was in your defensive camp when it came to PC users views of things Apple. It's quite amusing to have Windows users rallying to the defence of Windows 8 and citing Apple as the source of all things evil in the world of IT. It smacks of profound levels of insecurity that I know well. It's amusing, but also very sad. I have come to like Windows since I was forced (and there is no other way of describing this moment) to use it daily. I've learned to love some things even when some people are surprised that WIndows does this (even though they use it daily). I've seen both sides of this fence and I am mightily alarmed about some things I see in WIndows 8.

I really fear that Microsoft are about to make one of those mistakes that becomes a text book example of how to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. There is no compelling reason to try to converge Windows with a tablet OS right now even less an unproven one. Apple are not doing this with what amounts to unlimited financial resources and a proven desktop and tablet OS to play with. Why Microsoft are attempting it I really do not know.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 07:03:43
Print Post

No, I don't need to enter a PIN to access my iPad. If I had configured it as such, then I could understand. But it is just sloppy programming to have to use two switches to switch the device on.

Ergonomics describes your complaints about powering off in Windows 8 precisely. (Though I note that noboddy has commented on the fact that you cab easily put a button on the Start screen to power the machine off. Configurability; I like that!)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 07:08:00
Print Post

Don't be so silly! Gomez referred to "people who don't want to tinker with betas". My statement was merely a tautology.
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:45:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

My network doesn't come back properly after a hibernate or sleep.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:50:35
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Try changing the power options to keep the network connection alive on sleep
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to