Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 29-Feb-12 05:24:55
Print Post

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[link to this post]

No an issue but did not know witch forum to put it in.

The download will go like at 2PM (29/2/12) so who of you all will be downloading it.

Ive been using th 8DP as my main os for months i find it faster and stabler than 7 so ill defo be getting it and i actually like metro smile

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Wed 29-Feb-12 11:11:47
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I tried Win 8 a few months ago but didn't think it added anything to Win 7,
I might give it another go, but only out of interest.

As for being more stable, in the two & half years been using Win 7 it's
crashed about twice (2 pcs, 1 netbook, 1 notebook.).

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 29-Feb-12 13:24:35
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DavidFinbarr:
I tried Win 8 a few months ago but didn't think it added anything to Win 7,
I might give it another go, but only out of interest.

As for being more stable, in the two & half years been using Win 7 it's
crashed about twice (2 pcs, 1 netbook, 1 notebook.).

Ive also never really had problems with win 7 i was more referring to older hardware with that i should of mentioned it, ive got an older pc that oddly enough struggles with xp after sp3 update but win 8 runs very well lol.

it don't add much so far except it uses less ram and if you've got a pc with a uefi bios it boots in like 5 seconds smile at least it dose on mine anyway.

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 29-Feb-12 13:26:49
Print Post

anybody got a link for win 8
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 29-Feb-12 13:34:09
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
anybody got a link for win 8

There's another 25 mins till it will be posted yet 2PM

Ash

So much for the 2PM downloads links available lol

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Edited by acpsd775 (Wed 29-Feb-12 14:49:59)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 29-Feb-12 16:09:59
Print Post

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Feb-12 16:31:03
Print Post

I got the developer preview on my other computer, I may as well put the consumer preview on it instead to see what have changed.

I did not think much of the developer version to be honest, the Metro Ui is naff and the lack of a start menu is stupid. i also not that impressed about the ribbon menu system,

As I said i will have a look, just to be nosy, but I will be staying with windows 7 on my main computer.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Feb-12 21:59:03
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I got the developer preview on my other computer, I may as well put the consumer preview on it instead to see what have changed.

I did not think much of the developer version to be honest, the Metro Ui is naff and the lack of a start menu is stupid. i also not that impressed about the ribbon menu system,

As I said i will have a look, just to be nosy, but I will be staying with windows 7 on my main computer.

yeah its touchscreen focused now and thats where all the consumer growth is which is why microsoft went that route. They seem hooked on the idea of sharing the same UI across all devices.
(freechataholic) Thu 01-Mar-12 00:16:12
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I found using Win 8 a pain on a non touchscreen.

In the end got is set up to be very much like Win 7 so would be a pointless upgrade.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 07:18:27
Print Post

A lot has been taken away unfortunately - as there is no start button, how do you shut down the machine or access programs like Notepad ?

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Preview of AtomZ My Blog
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 10:20:55
Print Post

I found using Win 8 a pain on a non touchscreen.

In the end got is set up to be very much like Win 7 so would be a pointless upgrade.

yet we will see review sites keep praising it calling it innotive simply because its changed. Makes me wonder sometimes what these review sites get in return for the reviews.
(freechataholic) Thu 01-Mar-12 11:52:46
Print Post

I hate change for change sake.

The new BBC web site I think is an example the HP has gone from being customizable,
to a complete mess.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 01-Mar-12 12:20:07
Print Post

I hate change for change sake.

The new BBC web site I think is an example the HP has gone from being customizable,
to a complete mess.

Agree on both points. Microsoft is trying to re-invent its products, and the only way it can do that is to change the way people use them. Hence why Office 2007 is a complete cluster....

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 01-Mar-12 12:29:16
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
A lot has been taken away unfortunately - as there is no start button, how do you shut down the machine or access programs like Notepad ?

The start menu have been replaced with the metro screen ive included a few print screens of the new ways to do things.

First of all to access the start screen (metro screen) just move you mouse the the bottom left were the start button used to be and the new start button just appears (some reasons when i try print screen it makes it disappear)

To shut down you press the WIN Key + I on your keyboard then click power (see here) You can also swipe down (with mouse or finger on touch) in the top right hand corner the bring the charms menu up click settings and it brings the previous menu up to shup down (see here)

To launch programs you can launch them by either shortcut on your desktop like always or launch them from the metro screen (see here)

If its something you dont want pinned on your desktop or metro screen, While on the metro screen just start to type the program you want to launch just like with start search (see here)

TBH i actually dont mind metro i cant say its made my life and easy or harder its just a change people moan and moan about change all the time but i say get over it if you dont like it dont use it simple as lol, I personally have not used the start menu as a menu since vista the only time i ever used it, i used start search witch basically metro dose, Yes i know some people still do use it as a menu but im sure they'll get over it quick.

When Microsoft put the start menu in in the first place you got people saying what do we need the start menu for anyway what was wrong with the old way of doing things and now there all like oh no dont take the start menu away (witch there not they've just remodeled it into full screen)

Thats my view on it anyway

Ash

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 12:40:25
Print Post

You can also show all installed items (sort of like "Programs" on star menu), by right clicking on the Start screen and selecting "All Apps" from the menu at the bottom of the screen.

The more I use the new interface the more I like it, but inevitably a lot of people will give up without giving it a chance. A bit like all the requests you see on help forums for replacing Windows 7 with XP. People get very stuck in their habits and are unwilling to embrace change.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 01-Mar-12 12:50:15
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
You can also show all installed items (sort of like "Programs" on star menu), by right clicking on the Start screen and selecting "All Apps" from the menu at the bottom of the screen.

The more I use the new interface the more I like it, but inevitably a lot of people will give up without giving it a chance. A bit like all the requests you see on help forums for replacing Windows 7 with XP. People get very stuck in their habits and are unwilling to embrace change.

Ahh yes i forgot about that one, and you are right people never give things a chance any little (or big) change and there instantly all dissing it but then again if they left it the same all these years then you can guarantee youd get oh typical Microsoft never change things leave it the same old boring way never innovate they just copy apple cant please some people i suppose lol.

Some people also argue that metro will be bad for PC novices because its too much of a change well you dont get much more of one that my mum shes been using comps for about 6 year and she still forgets how copy and past lol thats how bad she is, She can load the web page she wants to use and WMP that's the extent of her pc usage but she loves metro she says its more clear for her with the cleaner big tiles (shes never liked the start menu so everything had to be put on the desktop for her)

Ash

(freechataholic) Thu 01-Mar-12 14:00:09
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I use Office for the basic things.
Got 2007 to replace 2003, ending up giving 2007 to GF.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:04:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
yeah its touchscreen focused now and thats where all the consumer growth is which is why microsoft went that route. They seem hooked on the idea of sharing the same UI across all devices.

It don't work on a non-touch screen computer, I am using it now, but it is a pain in the neck, it is ok once you in the desktop, but even then it wants to go back to Metro apps for showing videos and photos.

TBH, windows 8 is a mess.

Adrian

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 23:54:53
Print Post

Yes, that works well - thanks!

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Preview of AtomZ My Blog
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 02-Mar-12 05:17:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

It don't work on a non-touch screen computer, I am using it now, but it is a pain in the neck, it is ok once you in the desktop, but even then it wants to go back to Metro apps for showing videos and photos.

TBH, windows 8 is a mess.

Mine don't they open in classic media player and photo viewer found in windows 7 nothing opens in metro that I don't want to open in metro Web pages chrome music vids media player pics photo viewer email metro mail because I want it to other than the mail I've found it no different to win 7 at all well except the Majour speed increase

Ash

Standard User Wonko
(committed) Fri 02-Mar-12 07:55:46
Print Post

Whilst I agree on the change for changes sake argument, I remember people hating Windows 95 when it launched.

So much so, I remember there being a way to have the windows 3.1 explorer in 95, cant for the life of me remember how you changed it,but there was a way.

I have not used Metro (have not used Windows for anything other than 3D movies in a few years), but it looks ugly, almost as ugly as Ubuntu's Unity tongue
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:16:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Mine don't they open in classic media player and photo viewer found in windows 7 nothing opens in metro that I don't want to open in metro Web pages chrome music vids media player pics photo viewer email metro mail because I want it to other than the mail I've found it no different to win 7 at all well except the Majour speed increase

Ash

Mine did, just opened another picture and it took me to the Metro app to do it, but this time it said I got new apps to open the picture and asked me if I wanted to do so in future and now pictures open in photo viewer on the desktop.

i don't find it that much faster than windows 7 t be honest, it might be because it is on a slower hard drive than my windows 7 install, but I doubt that will make a massive difference. Maybe over the weekend I will install it on the SDD unit. Depends if I can be bothered.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:18:48
Print Post

[re: Wonko] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wonko:
Whilst I agree on the change for changes sake argument, I remember people hating Windows 95 when it launched.

So much so, I remember there being a way to have the windows 3.1 explorer in 95, cant for the life of me remember how you changed it,but there was a way.

I have not used Metro (have not used Windows for anything other than 3D movies in a few years), but it looks ugly, almost as ugly as Ubuntu's Unity tongue

I never used windows 3.1 much, I came to PCs in windows 95 days, using a Amiga before that. But windows 8 may turn people away from MS and turn them to Macs; I already a know a few people who have changed over the last couple of years.

Macs are on the up and it is only the price that puts some people off

Adrian

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:20:28
Print Post

If you don't like what's happening to Windows you'd be horrified at what is happening to OS X. Next step is that you'll only be able to install software form the App Store.
Standard User Wonko
(committed) Fri 02-Mar-12 12:33:04
Print Post

I honestly can never understand why someone would choose to have an Apple, I have tried countless times over the years and every single time I just end up thinking "Why the hell am I using this"

The hardware is usually pretty decent, its just MacOS that I cannot stand.

But, to each their own, whilst windows has the monopoly on games, dont expect MacOS / Linux or similar to take the market share any time soon.

For all the complaints about windows, its runs on just about every hardware configuration, its a piece of cake to install drivers on, and just works.

I adore Linux, its all I run at home (apart from for 3D movies as mentioned above) but Windows is one heck of an OS that gets a lot of unfair criticism from some people, most of the times when I have had people moaning about windows its been a hardware fault or user fault. Its not perfect, but compared to the alternatives its the best for your average user.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 12:46:38
Print Post

[re: Wonko] [link to this post]

The biggest problem with Macs is Apple. I like the machines, and I like the OS, but Apple are restricting it more and more. It is only a matter of time before we have the situation, as with iOS, that users will only be able to install software via the App Store. And it will only be developers who cough up $90 a year who will be able to publish their apps there.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Fri 02-Mar-12 13:20:45
Print Post

We too were Apple enthusiasts from our early days in digital publishing (late 1980s) when Apple/Quark offered our first practical WYSIWYG. We kept a PC for office jobs like accounts and mailings because Apple software was not around, and we hated it.

After struggling with DOS Apple handled graphics and fonts with ease, whereas the Postscript typesetters of the time would crash big-time if you even whispered ' PC' or 'Truetype Font' near them. We once lost two days' production because of this.

But Apple was easily twice the price of comparable PCs, so we took the PC and XP road when we retired. We found much more software, and we can still do the occasional publishing job despite Windows inferiority on graphics. Going from Quark to PDF is the secret.

Today we're well pleased with W7, but I hasten to add that our printers are still very much on Macs, and they much prefer Adobe to Quark. I'd agree on this, for Q8 is bloated and very clumsy, but after 20+ years old dogs and new tricks ...
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 03-Mar-12 22:41:19
Print Post

I'm not sure what Metro is aupposed to be. I'm not sure Microsoft are sure what it's doing in Windows either other than as part of some 'convergence' fetish. It isn't a new interface as seems to be advertised. It is, instead, just another new layer between the user and what they want to do. I'm not sure that's helpful and having used it today I can say it is about as intuitive as..... well I can't think of much that is less intuitive, which can't be a great idea on any level in a consumer level product. The Metro bit may be great on a phone (not that phone users seem to have voted it so). It may be great on tablets (to be proven), but I'm not sure what it is adding to the desktop/laptop sphere.

II can see that Microsoft intend for Metro to replace the 'start' menu so famously changed to be the 'bobble' menu in recent iterations because some in Microsoft thought it perverse that you shut down from it (they perversely still used a buuble help thing that said 'start' though and still left the shut down bit). The only problem is that it's half baked and like most changes in Windows I never expect it to be fully baked. As ever, if you tunnel down one layer you are in what might as well be XP and tunnel down one layer further and you are mostly back to WIndows 95.

There is the problem with Microsoft here. They just don't have a vision thing going on with WIndows. They are locked into a specific mentality that they clearly don't like much of Windows, but they don't know what to replace it with either. They seem unsure where to 'start' even - literally. They thus just add new layers between the user and the functions the user is tying to access. Lets take an explorer window in Windows 8, where ribbons have suddenly appeared. I admit to not being a fan of these ribbons, but I've learned to live with them (or remove them in the case of AutoCAD). The only problem with them in Explrer in Windows 8 is that they seem to have been introduced because of some diktat that all WIndows programs must have them regardless of whether they do anything meaningful. So now you now need to click on the tab then the ribbon button then the function (even when there is only one option) instead of just the one button before. In the case of mapping a network drive this is now 3 mouse clicks with no less than two options titled the same thing to tunnel through where in WIndows 7 it was one mouse click That's not progress in anyone's books. It's obstruction! Why 90% of the functions are there on those explorer ribbons I'm not sure other than to provide an excuse to have the tabs and ribboms there in the first place.

Someone I know derisively suggested that 8 is more like new curtains than new windows. I'm minded to agree, but the sad thing is that I can see where Metro might go. I'm just not convinced that Microsoft will ever take it there.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 03-Mar-12 23:05:20
Print Post

If you don't like what's happening to Windows you'd be horrified at what is happening to OS X. Next step is that you'll only be able to install software form the App Store.

Yes also people are complaining about metro been to mobile/tablety (mainly apple fans taking the p out of windows as usual) but apple are basically turning mountian lion into IOS so good luck to that. (i bet though it will be oh apple are innovating bringing the os's together yet Microsoft dose it and oh no its stupid bringing tablet interface to desktops)

I honestly can never understand why someone would choose to have an Apple, I have tried countless times over the years and every single time I just end up thinking "Why the hell am I using this"

Im am the same ive owned a mac book ipad and an iphone 3g and 4 and every time they haven't lasted a month the macbook i did not like osx one bit pain in thee back side and could not justify the cost of the macbook to mainly run windows on so sold it and got a laptop 4 times more powerful and still had 150 quid spare , the Iphone 3g was very slow and lacked some things basic phones had for years before it, The 4 i thought ill give another chance still the same restricted phone for my likeing so that went i got the ipad the same time as the iphone 4 i was expecting more from it basically wanted it to replace a netbook that did not work so that went too.

I admit i am a huge windows fan i am actually one of the fans of metro and i also like to use linux ill admit im not a linux buff or anything but i do like it.

Mac users are welcome to use mac systems + osx/ios and im glad they enjoy using it but its defo not for me.

Ash

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 09:52:22
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
II can see that Microsoft intend for Metro to replace the 'start' menu so famously changed to be the 'bobble' menu in recent iterations because some in Microsoft thought it perverse that you shut down from it
They could have fixed that more cheaply and easily by calling it something other than Start. As I can get to it by pressing the Windows button on my keyboard why not call it Windows? Or Home or something?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 10:59:58
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

That sounds very logical. Alas logic of that kind seems to be something that Microsoft lacks in abundance. Instead it brings us Metro, which buries most of the funcltions behind several mouse clicks or puts then somewhere elese entirly that isn't on those sheets, but invoked by some mouse click or something else and brings up another interface entirely. As an example after my first use of WIndows 8 I simply could not find where you are supposed to shut it down. In the and I gave up and hit the reset button on the PC. I have since found that you need to move the pointer to the bottom right and select 'settings' from what appears to be a 'start' menu then select 'power' from the bar that appears on the right then select 'shutdown' from the menu there. [censored]? Who in their right mind came up with that proceedure? Just exactly how hard did they decide this was to be? It's got as much common sense attached to it as going from London to Brighton via Glasgow and Berlin.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 11:10:34
Print Post

Just press the power button. That's the best (and most logical) way to shut down any PC in an orderly manner.

And it's intuitive!

Granted in the pre-history days you had to select a shutdown option from a menu, when power management of PCs wasn't so good, but that's so last millenium.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 11:26:56
Print Post

I think you will find that many computers still in use today especially those in the workplace will not shut down gracefully by simply pressing the Power button. So if you don't know for sure that it will it is not the sort of thing you want to risk.

Not to mention that it depends what kind of shutdown that particular computer is set up to do: Sleep, Hibernate or Full? My three computers (desktop / laptop / nettop) are each set up differently to match their normal usage but occasionally I want to shut them down differently so need access to the menu options.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Edited by gomezz (Sun 04-Mar-12 11:32:05)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:01:46
Print Post

You set the computer to shut down, via the power button, as you want it to. And if you need to shut down differently the menu option is always there.

I don't know why people are making such a fuss about shutting down Windows 8; it's just as easy as Windows 7 once you know how. I think the problem is that people don't know how and don't want to do a little research to find the answer. And yet they want to play with beta software. crazy
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:21:59
Print Post

This is nothing to do with clever power management. It's to do with the conveneience of shutting down the PC in question without crawling about on the floor. Indeed, in this instane from the other side of the room. Any other OS GUI has a software power off option so has Windows 8, but for some some bizarre reason it takes access to no less than 4 completely different interface elements to access it. I'm sorry, but I don't see the sense of all the interface elements in the first place never mind why the power off option should be behind so may interface elements.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:23:26
Print Post

Please explain the simple, step by step way to shutdown in W8 using the menu option for the benefit of those of us who: a) do not bother tinkering with betas; or b) can only find a convoluted way of doing it.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:39:41
Print Post

<Windows>+I, power, shut down. It's really not that difficult.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:43:06
Print Post

See my previous answer to Desmond. Three simple steps, just like in Windows 7. Personally I let the power button do the work. If you like to work with the desktop, rather than the Start screen <alt>-F4 is your starting point.

People who don't want to tinker with betas really shouldn't be tinkering with a beta. crazy

Edit: If all that is still too difficult, just create a shortcut and put it on the desktop or Start screen. Then it will be a single mouse click.

Edited by AEP (Sun 04-Mar-12 13:46:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:26:49
Print Post

<Windows>+I, power, shut down. It's really not that difficult.
I really don't understand everyone's obsession with shutting down. I just shut the lid and my PC hibernates. If I leave it, it goes into standby after a while. This has been the case for years.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:34:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Fine if you use the computer every day. Other people's usage may be very different so you cannot really tell them they are wrong if you do not know their circumstances.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:40:17
Print Post

The fuss is question is about whether WIndows 8 is fit to fly so to speak. That includes fit to fly as a beta. I would suggest that it is very flawed at present and I'm not sure that it is a geat model at all. It's just plain badly designed and the obtuse manner of shutting it down is symptomatic of this. Why should you need to research such things? Research is for finding out how some obscure function works in Excel. You shouldn't need to research how to turn a PC off. crazy

There was a time I might have said this probably wouldn't be bad news for the PC world because PC users would just buy it. However, then came Vista and then came the utter failure of Microsoft to gain any traction at all in the phone and tablet market. Clearly, PC users don't just buy it if Microsoft start selling it. As an avowed fan of Apple, you might think that I'd think this would be great news, but that simply isn't true. I think it's good to have more than iOS and Android about in phones (I suspect that Blackberry is already being written off as an also ran). Moreover, I think that to all intents have nothing but the iPad in the tablet market isn't a great place to be. It could do with some healthy competition.

The fact is that Microsoft is looking more than a little bit vulnerable. If you are a fan then you should be worried if people are not happy with Windows 8. It may be that if WIndows 8 doesn't fly that there will never be a Windows 9. Instead you might find that it was replaced by Google PC or OS X 11.0 after Microsoft's share price entered terminal decline and it vanished in a takeover.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:46:37
Print Post

I can't imagine hibernate not being perfect for people who think they want to shut down.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:49:58
Print Post

The fuss is question is about whether WIndows 8 is fit to fly so to speak. That includes fit to fly as a beta. I would suggest that it is very flawed at present and I'm not sure that it is a geat model at all. It's just plain badly designed and the obtuse manner of shutting it down is symptomatic of this. Why should you need to research such things? Research is for finding out how some obscure function works in Excel. You shouldn't need to research how to turn a PC off. crazy
I think it's been hidden because no-one needs to use it anymore.

The comparison between Vista (bad) and Windows 7 (good) is amusing given that 7 was just an incremental update to Vista - they're not completely different but almost exactly the same.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:39:00
Print Post

As ever, if you tunnel down one layer you are in what might as well be XP and tunnel down one layer further and you are mostly back to WIndows 95.

They thus just add new layers between the user and the functions the user is tying to access.

Even at the Windows build conference Steven Sinofsky specifically addressed the concern head on that they were adding layers - and assured everyone they were not - and proved it with an example of the resource usage in Windows 8 compared to Windows 7. Also, if you tried Windows 8, which I gather you have, you'd realise when seeing the speed it performs -- it has definately not been bolted on to Windows 7.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:43:01
Print Post

The capacity of your imagination is not the issue here.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:46:52
Print Post

At first it took me a few moments to find out how to shut down, but after that, I know... Big deal, it's no different to learning to go the bottom left, click on start (Or the windows logo) and then select shut down there.

(FYI Windows as we know it is all still there... ALT+F4 will bring up shutdown for example..)

Just like I had to learn to point the pointed in the corners to do things in Windows 8 - as it happens I did work most (not all) of this out before reading, but, if you don't take the trouble to find out, what do you expect.

If you don't invest any time in advance learning how to do something then you will fail regardless of how easy it is made for you. Nothing is 100% self-explanatory

Using it more it is clear Microsoft have done an amazing and extremely smart job at bringing it to the tablet and modernising without compromising with the classic Windows feel. If you used Windows 7 with a touch tablet, you'd know why the start menu was replaced as that was the single most awkward thing to use on a Windows 7 tablet.

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 04-Mar-12 16:04:43)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:48:18
Print Post

Please explain how hibernate fails if you do not use the computer every day?

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:01:56
Print Post

It doesn't fail. It just may not be what is wanted.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:05:39
Print Post

As I said, it seems a perfect alternative.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:07:47
Print Post

Ah, there is the difference between us. I don't see Operating Systems as things to be a fan of; I just want to use them. And the more I use Windows 8 the more I like it.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:09:19
Print Post

Well, yes. It's a totally unimportant thing yet everyone seems to be obsessed with it.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:18:33
Print Post

Then the difference between us is that I want to use my computer to do what I want it to do. If the OS gets in the way of that then it is problem and is important.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:27:34
Print Post

I certainly wouldn't use an OS that got in my way. That's part of what I like about Windows 8; it lets me do things in many different ways. Naturally, being so versatile, it repays a little study.

It doesn't bother me that it doesn't work exactly like Windows 7. If that bothered me I'd still be using MS-DOS.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:42:11
Print Post

That is why I am in this thread, to ascertain how much veracity there is to the assertion that W8 is disabler rather than an enabler compared to older versions.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:53:32
Print Post

I suspect that it is an enabler if you are prepared to put in a little time exploring and researching it and configuring it to your requirements This will, of course, be far easier once the OS is actually released.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 16:59:04
Print Post

I'm afraid. that I need to use a software power off. Anyone with a media PC that is hidden away - maybe attached to the back of their TV - needs to use it. Someone with a headless PC or server needs to use it. Anyone using a virtualised environment (something Microsoft are supposedly keen on) needs to use it. Additionally, corporate users routinely disable power buttons for security reasons.

I don't think it's put where it is because people don't need to use it on a desktop PC. I think it's just a piece of bad design that originates in their attemting to converge a tablet OS (where you almost never shut down) with a desktop environment. This has pushed them down a particular route and now you need to use 4 different interface types on opposite sides of the screen to get to it. I'd lay money on this changing before the RTM is reached since the web is already awash with complaints about this 'feature' and a few others besides.

Incidentally, sInce when has it been a 'setting' to turn off or restart a PC? I'd expect setting to mean a control panel or it it's a poer setting to mean chngint things like sleep settings or screen brightness etc, but these are elsewhere (where they belong in control panels). There were similar bizarre things in Vista like the options in network that were labelled 'cutomize' where you couldn't change anything and another labeled 'view status' where you could change things. Does that sound like something that was well thought out or just bad interface design?

I never said that 7 was completely different to Vista (In fact I didn't mention 7 in the last post at all). But on the subject I did note the way that network setting issue changed in WIndows 7. It was one of several such interface issues that changed to something that made sense. My only reference to 7 in this whole thread is that Microsoft are to all intents still mostly using Windows 95's interface once you tunnel down. I noted this hadn't changed much with Metro since it's really just a new superficial 'layer' that sits on top of the same WIndows 95 bits.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 17:13:42
Print Post

I think the power options becoming a setting happened when the GUI became the operating system rather than an extension running on DOS. I don't think there are many consumer devices that still have a power button to switch them off.

I don't see why you need a software power off on any PC - media, headless, server, any..

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 17:52:43
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

[qoute]Nothing is 100% self-explanatory
My iphone has been 100% self explanatory.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 17:56:17
Print Post

Nothing is 100% self-explanatory

My iphone has been 100% self explanatory.
How do you power it off?

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 17:57:40
Print Post

If it's like the iPad it's not exactly intuitive. smile
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 17:59:26
Print Post

Which is why I avoid betas. Unfortunately I am in the position of possibly neeeding to upgrade my desktop from Vista and was wondering whether to go to W7 or hang on for W8.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:09:59
Print Post

Really? So you immediately knew how to bin apps by holding on an icon for a few seconds? Same as you knew that if you double tap the button, you get the small menu bar appear at the bottom?

You may have used logic to see what happens when you do that, or even used logic to guess that's how you would do it - but this is just not obvious from the go.

As it happens, I still believe that Windows is far more intuitive than Apple/Mac to use, perhaps Windows is more instruction heavy, but I never had problems reading a sentence, and it's better than an ambiguous icon. That is where people fall down when using Windows, they don't read properly.

(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:34:54
Print Post

Nice try. My iPhone turns off the same way as every phone I have ever used. Apple sensibly didn't opt to but this in some opaque location. Which makes sense since it is a phone. I don't need to crawl under a desk to access it like I do with the power button on my PC tower at home and in the office. Other arguments on this board have said "I just shut the lid and let it hibernate". That's just great if you have a laptop, but not a button on a tower or media centre that is shoved out of the way and where the button is simply not easy to access.

I don't think this mode of shutting down is about a logic that makes Windows more convenient to shut down. It patently doesn't do that. It's about a logic to makes Windows more tablet like, which is great if you are using a tablet, but flawed if you are using a tower and will not work in a corporate setting where said button is disabled for very good reasons. It'll fly even less in a corporate environment where the PC is physically locked away in a cupboard or headlessly operated and in another building entirely.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:40:31
Print Post

Well, if it's anything like an iPad, that's not powering it off, merely suspending it. smile

Perhaps not so intuitive after all?
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:41:31
Print Post

Which is why I avoid betas.
Very sensible! This thread would be much shorter if everybody did the same.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 18:52:18
Print Post

I like Windows 8. I think it has an awful lot going for it. I think the Metro bit will mature into something really innovative (which is very rare indeed for Microsoft). I have a few issues though. One is the shutdown/restart one which is plainly bad design although I can see where it comes from and another is the daft inclusion of the ribbon interface in explorer windows (another bit of remorseless logic at work there). That later one won't bother me since I can ignore this daft array of tools that I wil never use. The former isn't a deal breaker, but it is a back breaker - literally when like me you have serious back problems. I'll get used to the new way if it makes it to RTM. I suspect it'll change though.

Apple are guilty of this at times too. They jumped trough hoops trying to justify the one button mouse long after everyone else moved on and Mac users were busy replacing their apple mise with two and three button third party ones. Then they embraced multitouch which is about as far removed for the one button mentality as you can get. crazy

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:03:53
Print Post

I rarely power off PCs. that's why its so easy to have the thing essentially inaccessable, which makes any argument that someone at Microsoft thinks the power button is what I should seem daft to me. It's patently not convenient in lots of instances.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:13:32
Print Post

Only used an iPad once and I recall that it you held the power button down (as you do on an iphone) it throws up a slide to power off option same as an iphone. Has something changed since then? All devices of this sort seem to need a press and hold to power up and down so that's normal. I would expect a quick press on said button on a pad to lock/suspend/sleep or suchlike.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:34:22
Print Post

No. But holding the power button down, rather than just pushing it, is not intuitive. And then you have to slide an on-screen button as well! What a hopeless mish-mash of unintuitive interfaces. Arguably, a physical power button is fairly intuitive. But the fact that it does something different if you hold it down for 10 seconds is not at all obvious.

But, TBH, I find it just as easy, and just as difficult, as powering off a Windows 8 computer.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:36:14
Print Post

Really? So you immediately knew how to bin apps by holding on an icon for a few seconds? [/quote}

Yep discovered that one when trying to move an icon on day one since holding my finger down on an icon was the only thing that might do what I wanted to do.

[quote]Same as you knew that if you double tap the button, you get the small menu bar appear at the bottom?

That I saw being demoed when they brought out that version of iOS. I never use it myself.

I think we can agree to disagree on ease of use. I've always found that Microsoft are their own worst enemy. Too many options. Too many things buried in obscure places. Too many sorts of interface elements. Far too many legacy things going on. I think the biggest change that they could make in Windows would be a radical rationalisation, but that might put whole swathes of the PC support industry that Windows obtuseness supports out of work. laugh

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:44:16
Print Post

Have you ever used a phone that didn't require pressing the power button being held down to invoke a power down? I'm pretty sure one of mine didn't power down with that. That just brought up the option on the screen with a yes/no attached to bottonsbelow the screen.

I'm not sure why the slide to power off bit is there other than to stop an accidental power down, but it's pretty much self explanatory and consistent with unlocking the phone. It doesnt say slide for settings which then calls up a window with a power off thing that then brings up a menu from which you can select power off.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:55:17
Print Post

Even worse than powering an iOS device off is powering it on. I press the power button and I expect it to switch on. But, no - I'm then presented with a second, on-screen switch to slide. What's all that about? It's like Apple is saying to me "You didn't really want to switch it on, did you?". This is not ergonomic design.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Mar-12 22:04:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
As it happens, I still believe that Windows is far more intuitive than Apple/Mac to use, perhaps Windows is more instruction heavy, but I never had problems reading a sentence, and it's better than an ambiguous icon. That is where people fall down when using Windows, they don't read properly.

Now I believe the opposite, I have always considered that the Mac OS (pre X or X) 'gets in the way' less than Windows. I have been a user of windows since the 3.1 days and DOS prior to that but I try to avoid it these days.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 22:35:20
Print Post

If all that is still too difficult, just create a shortcut and put it on the desktop or Start screen. Then it will be a single mouse click.

I've seen a few suggestions for various things in WIndows 8 thus far that come up with a shortcut on the desktop or start screen as a 'solution'. I would ask why such things need a 'solution' at all if the OS is doing what it should. For me that means being transparently easy to use. It's especially perverse to be using such options when Microsoft have been trying to dissuade users from having loads of things on the desktop for years. crazy

People who don't want to tinker with betas really shouldn't be tinkering with a beta.

I've not heard somethingquite so arrogant in some time. Of course people want to mess with public betas. That;s the point of them. I note that Microsoft don't call this WIndows 8 release a beta, though. They call it a 'Customer Preview'. In my case (as a consumer) it is utterly disfinctional on way more levels than this stupid power down issue. Have you heard me complain about these? I accept 100% that a lot of this is a work in progress and may not work as advertised. There is a differece here. The power off issue raised by me here and large numbers elsewhere isn't a beta issue. It isn't a bug or oddity affecting some users in a certain time zone when there is an 'r' in the month. Those are beta issues. Istead, someone willfully decided to do it this way and people very high up in Microsoft have gone along with it. Given that it is somethng so incredibly basic one can't help but speculate about what they are trying to achieve by doing it this way.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 22:50:09
Print Post

I don't argue with what you say other than to point out that the phone has booted up regardless of wether you use that slider. It will ring and calls are answerable. You can also make an emergency call using it. What you can't do is anything else without the PIN, which makes perfect sense in security terms since it means that you can't circumvent the security by simply rebooting the phone. This means thaty the appearance of the slider is again consistent with the normal behaviour of the OS in terms of unlocking it.

What you describe has nothing to do with ergonomics incidentally. That's a wholly different field in terms of product design.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 23:55:17
Print Post

Apple are not turnng 10.8 into an iteration of iOS. They are (among other things) taking some very familiar aspects of a very successful mobile OS and using them in a very familiar desktop one to do new things that the OS doesn't do now. With Metro in WIndows 8 Microsoft are taking unfamiliar aspects of a completely unproven tablet OS (although it has been seen by a vainshly small number of users who always buy the wrong thing) and making them absolutely central to how to access their core desktop OS. I'm not sure whether that is pragmatic, visionary, desperate or plain suicidal.

A few years ago I was in your defensive camp when it came to PC users views of things Apple. It's quite amusing to have Windows users rallying to the defence of Windows 8 and citing Apple as the source of all things evil in the world of IT. It smacks of profound levels of insecurity that I know well. It's amusing, but also very sad. I have come to like Windows since I was forced (and there is no other way of describing this moment) to use it daily. I've learned to love some things even when some people are surprised that WIndows does this (even though they use it daily). I've seen both sides of this fence and I am mightily alarmed about some things I see in WIndows 8.

I really fear that Microsoft are about to make one of those mistakes that becomes a text book example of how to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. There is no compelling reason to try to converge Windows with a tablet OS right now even less an unproven one. Apple are not doing this with what amounts to unlimited financial resources and a proven desktop and tablet OS to play with. Why Microsoft are attempting it I really do not know.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 07:03:43
Print Post

No, I don't need to enter a PIN to access my iPad. If I had configured it as such, then I could understand. But it is just sloppy programming to have to use two switches to switch the device on.

Ergonomics describes your complaints about powering off in Windows 8 precisely. (Though I note that noboddy has commented on the fact that you cab easily put a button on the Start screen to power the machine off. Configurability; I like that!)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 07:08:00
Print Post

Don't be so silly! Gomez referred to "people who don't want to tinker with betas". My statement was merely a tautology.
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:45:59
Print Post

My network doesn't come back properly after a hibernate or sleep.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:50:35
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Try changing the power options to keep the network connection alive on sleep
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:14:22
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

That sounds like a potential security risk.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:27:01
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

That means it probably won't come back after a Windows 8 shutdown either as shutdown is a partial hibernation.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 16:08:37
Print Post

I can think of reasons why microsoft are trying it but I think those reasons are a bad idea.

1 - they get desktop users to use the new interface and it then sells more windows phones as the users then want the same interface on their phones.
2 - they are focusing on the mobile market as thats where the consumer growth is and are confident that their monopoly on the desktop market will allow them to release a substandard OS and still get adequate sales.

My own view is this.

If the time comes and windows 8 remains inefficient to use on my desktop and windows 7 is also EOL, for the first time since I have started using pcs I will be considering an alternate OS to windows, probably some form of unix. I have been using pc's since the ms-dos days so a very long time. Since microsoft would be putting me in a position where I have to learn a new GUI then obviously I would be much more willing to try alternate GUIs such as gnome.
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Tue 06-Mar-12 11:59:59
Print Post

More of a risk than when I'm using the machine?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Thu 08-Mar-12 01:21:05
Print Post

How to Enable Good Old Start Button (ORB) and Start Menu in Windows 8?

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-good-old-start-bu...
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Mar-12 13:27:09
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Brunel:
How to Enable Good Old Start Button (ORB) and Start Menu in Windows 8?

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-good-old-start-bu...

funny how removing the start menu and orb buttons are described as improvements.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 08-Mar-12 22:43:35
Print Post

Good old Brad http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to