Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Thu 01-Mar-12 17:52:39
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Android widgets? Windows gadgets? Doesn't seem anything new.

I think the main problem for Windows 8 is Windows 7. 7 is considered "good enough", like XP before it, so why would people upgrade? I certainly have no plans.

Edited by e102gamma (Thu 01-Mar-12 17:53:15)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 18:03:35
Print Post

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

The biggest problem you are probably struggling to adapt to is the removal of the taskbar, instead of doing that, you go to the side or corners. Once you get used to that you probably find it's a more efficient way of working (for the most part)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 18:40:28
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

Not the same thing at all. These are full blown applications that display a "live" icon when not running.

I don't think that Microsoft will have any problems selling Windows 8, particularly on a host of ARM-based tablets. I suspect that it will prove, in time, to be Microsoft's most successful OS.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Thu 01-Mar-12 19:06:50
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Totally agree with you AEP as a scientist I think it is going to be an incredible operating system it will tie the versatility of many contrivance’s into a very clever and powerful tool. On final release it will be a very exciting major operating system to start to learn and master its intricacies. It is an extraordinary development and very advanced to anything else on the market for many years to come. Very impressed
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:13:22
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Brunel:
Are Wordpad and Notepad included in this preview?

Or am I wasting my time looking for them?

Press left windows key and R to get the run dialogue up , then type in notepad or wordpad and enter. i thought we gone pas this text entry for commands, may as well go back tot he Amiga.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:15:54
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by e102gamma:
Android widgets? Windows gadgets? Doesn't seem anything new.

I think the main problem for Windows 8 is Windows 7. 7 is considered "good enough", like XP before it, so why would people upgrade? I certainly have no plans.

Nor me, windows 7 does what I want with ease. Windows 8 is very cloud based, wants you to have a microsoft account, which is the old live account and most of the apps on the metro screen will not work unless you have one.

i am not a cloud person, prefer to keep my files on my computer, not on someone elses.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:22:30
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Agree with you there, luckily you can opt out. I suppose this is Microsoft bending to pressure, moron users who can't manage anything unless it's all in one place, can't remember more than one password, etc.

It's going to be a LONG time before power users can put all their data on the cloud and manage and work with it at acceptable speeds, but, people who use a computer for the sole purpose of talking rubbish on twitter and facebook may find these features very useful.

Edited by Pipexer (Thu 01-Mar-12 20:26:24)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:46:26
Print Post

Well, you can run them that way, but it's easier just to use the icons. Pin them to the Start Page if you are going to use them a lot. Just like the Start Menu really. smile
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:50:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by Brunel:
Are Wordpad and Notepad included in this preview?

Or am I wasting my time looking for them?

Press left windows key and R to get the run dialogue up , then type in notepad or wordpad and enter. i thought we gone pas this text entry for commands, may as well go back tot he Amiga.

Err it's easier than that ... on the metro start screen, just type "notepad" and hit enter!

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:51:13
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Windows 8 doesn't require you to store all your data in the Cloud. But you can if you want. It's more versatile than earlier versions of Windows. I could wish it had inherited the new file system from Server "8"; perhaps we'll get that in 9.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to