Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Mar-12 07:49:58
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Windows 8 will also have privacy concerns, as you will need to use the cloud with win 8.
Untrue.
Very. It has some nice integration with the Windows Live stuff (I liked the user creation process) but it's no more tied into 'the cloud' then any previous Windows version.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Mar-12 09:12:03
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The one thing that will determine success or failure will be the corporate enviroment.

Can windows 8 tempt businesses to upgrade from win XP or even older?

Currently nobody has said wether or not their current software actually works on it and to the people who say "give it some time to get used to it" business will want to be able their staff to use in within 5 mins of turning it on.

If they can't do that they won't be interested and they will happily keep with their old OS for another 10+ years
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Mar-12 09:34:21
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

they will happily keep with their old OS for another 10+ years
Having worked in a corporate environment, managing thousands of PCs, I can assure you that big businesses will not keep using an OS that is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Mar-12 13:22:02
Print Post

they will happily keep with their old OS for another 10+ years
Having worked in a corporate environment, managing thousands of PCs, I can assure you that big businesses will not keep using an OS that is no longer supported by Microsoft.

I have experience of the opposite.

Generally micrososft will extend business support past consumer expiration remembering they get large fees of these companies.

I still know of businesses's using NT4 and windows 2000. I dont know of any at all using windows seven or vista. Decent takeup of windows 8 in my view is extremely unlikely on corporate desktops. Microsoft are vulnerable within the next decade, because their core market is not looking future proof. The consumer desktop market has limited growth and corporations are more about stability and cost vs keeping with the cutting edge. The reason IE6 has been around so long is for corporates as well.
Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Mar-12 18:54:54
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Not quite right. I know of one very large multi-national that has swapped from XP to Win7. They did leave out Vista.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Mar-12 19:22:27
Print Post

You would have to be huge for Windows to entertain support for NT4, for starters hardly anyone at Microsoft who works in support will have been there in the NT4 days.

2000 has "only" just gone out of support so not so difficult, and it's similiar to 2003 anyway.

To be honest why the hell would any organization want to use NT4? Using XP is bad enough when you compare to the huge management benefits you get with Windows 7.

Whatever, if they want to waste money on resources supporting old software then they can do.

The trouble is perhaps human issues, people who run the networks cant cope with change, don't know about better ROI of newer products, etc. Too much legacy software. List goes on, often a lot of reasons you see for not being able to upgrade were due to incompetence or bad decisions in the first place

(legend) Thu 08-Mar-12 21:56:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I still know of businesses's using NT4 and windows 2000.
Then those are not going to be bothered by Windows 8.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Mar-12 09:15:14
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I know of come very large companies that still run some DOS and win95 computers due to legacy issues, in fact they have store cupboards of old PC's to use when the ones running the OS breaks.

As for why business does this, new OS's and the hardware to run them comes from capital expendure, where as legacy support comes from operational expendure.

There are then tax reasons, financing reasons and a whole lot of other reasons why they would spend more money from the Operaiontal side than the Capital.

I worked for a very large corporation indeed and we wanted a new bit of hardware, we got a 75% discount off the manufacturer, it would pay itself off in 6 months and have associated cost savings of millions over the lifetime of the product.

Could we get £25k out of capital expendure? Like hell we could.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 09:57:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Companies that run DOS or Windows 95 are hardly relevant when discussing whether Windows 8 will be a success in business. We already know that Windows 2000 and Windows XP were successes. There is no reason to suppose that Windows 8 won't be similarly successful (particularly when married with Server "8").

I have to say that you know some very peculiar companies. In most the cost of assets are written off after 5 years, or so, and replacement of written-off assets is a matter of course.

The thought of running unsupported Operating Systems in mission-critical applications would give a responsible CEO a heart attack.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 10:57:34
Print Post

What? If you want a notepad icon on the Start screen just put it there.

You got to find it first. Not sure where MS is going with this, do they want us to go back to Dos days where we have to type in commands?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to