Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:57:02
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

People need to spend more than a few minutes using Gnome 3. Perhaps then they'll see how many of the ideas have been incorporated into Windows 8.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:59:48
Print Post

Does ReFS really have much benefit for home users? I know where you are coming from. Also remember it can't be used to boot from, nor can you convert from NTFS, which might have something to do with why it's not appeared in the home version.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 21:04:38
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

The history of Operating Systems has always consisted of borrowing the best from other implementations. Nothing new there.

But I doubt that as many people will be spending as much time with Gnome 3 as with Windows 8.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 01-Mar-12 21:06:45
Print Post

Agree. Nothing new here.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 21:06:45
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

NTFS is hopelessly dated. I'd really like to see something like ZFS, but ReFS would certainly be an improvement.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Mar-12 22:11:27
Print Post

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

Yes after a few reviews, i think it will fail for conventional PC users as it purely pointed at tablets and touch devices
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Thu 01-Mar-12 23:52:31
Print Post

Thanks......another senior moment strikes again.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 00:17:02
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Yes after a few reviews, i think it will fail for conventional PC users as it purely pointed at tablets and touch devices

Thing is... it's actually not and they've put thought into this. I took my laptop to the pub with Windows 8 on tonight and in about 30 minutes I had figured "it all out" and was powering through things when showing people how it works. Command prompt? No problem > Windows Key > "cmd" > Enter, bingo!

It would actually take more steps to do this on Windows XP, I'd have to press Windows Key+R instead of just Windows Key.

The same ignorant users will have issues with it, because they would rather fuss and complain for years about how it never works, rather than spend 1 hour learning and reading about how to use it. However, people who adapt will do just that... adapt, and find that the interface is powerful and is actually very good.

Don't get me wrong, certain tasks can be carried out better in the old style, though that same concept actually applies now when you can do things easier in command prompt or powershell instead of poking around in the GUI, it's no different, there's just a balance to be had.

(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-12 01:35:02
Print Post

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

It seems to me that windows has always been a pattern of success and fail.

Win95 - success
Win98 - was unpopular, very unstable
Win98se - success
WinME - complete [censored]
WinXP - huge success, in fact it is still used by many users and company's today.
WinVista - lol over-hyped full of bugs.
Win7 - Best windows version ever.
Win8 - probably a flop.
Standard User chris6273
(member) Fri 02-Mar-12 03:17:00
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I think this version of windows is going to be a life changer for Windows Phones and Tablets. It looks absolutely excellent on the phones I've seen and it also looks very modern.

On the PC's I think it is going to be okay, but I can't comment completely because I haven't figured it all out and I haven't spent enough time on it. The best part of the OS I've seen so far is the fantastic, modern looking home screen.

I'm actually glad Microsoft have released a copy for all the public to try out. Apart from free Linux distributions, I don't know of any other company to release an future pay ware OS to the public on this scale.

In response to the OP:

In reply to a post by shalom2005:
Do I stand alone?

If it was only me commenting, I'd say yes! How can you judge an OS when it has only been released less than 48 hours ago (At the time of your post)?

In reply to a post by shalom2005:
Am I being unfair??!

Yes. Again, how can you judge Windows 8 when it was released under 48 hours ago?

I think we should give it some more time for Microsoft to fix any bugs before we all start judging it smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed: 24184 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.5 db 6.4 db
Noise Margin: 0.5 db 6.2 db

Edited by chris6273 (Fri 02-Mar-12 03:23:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to