Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:18:32
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Well, put an icon on the Desktop then.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:21:48
Print Post

The cloud? Any person who trusts personal data to the cloud deserves what they get. A bit like people who store their e-mail with Google. It's only a question of time before it is stolen.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Mar-12 14:43:43
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by e102gamma:
Android widgets? Windows gadgets? Doesn't seem anything new.

I think the main problem for Windows 8 is Windows 7. 7 is considered "good enough", like XP before it, so why would people upgrade? I certainly have no plans.

Agree

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 17:11:54
Print Post

[re: Alex1M6] [link to this post]

Like AEP said I don't think you can just go "good bad good bad" tongue

This comes from the same sort of thinking that BBC One is good, BBC2 bad, ITV good, etc...

What bugs did you run into in Vista then? Is it not just possible that people who had issues with Windows Vista had them because they installed 3rd party products not designed for Vista, for the most part, I think so!

Edited by Pipexer (Fri 02-Mar-12 17:23:53)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Mar-12 20:07:59
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
One complaint. Why does Windows still insist on overwriting the Master Boot Record. It takes 10 minutes or so to launch Linux in rescue mode to re-intsall grub so that you can choose boot options.

You can turn the question around the other way "Why does Linux insist on Grub being the boot loader?" The answer is for the 1% of people who dual boot, they generally know enough to fix it.

Personally I prefer running one OS, and virtualising the others.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Mar-12 20:12:38
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I must have imagined the copy I bought in Dixons.

smile Dixons certainly sold Win2000, but as it didn't support DirectX the recommendation from MS was for home users to run 98(SE) or latterly ME.

XP unified the eXPerience; giving full DirectX gaming support from the 9x/ME world to the NT kernel.

2000 was the majority of the improvements however, NT kernel 5.0, whereas XP was incremental 5.1

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 02-Mar-12 20:20:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Agree with you there, luckily you can opt out. I suppose this is Microsoft bending to pressure, moron users who can't manage anything unless it's all in one place, can't remember more than one password, etc.

It's going to be a LONG time before power users can put all their data on the cloud and manage and work with it at acceptable speeds, but, people who use a computer for the sole purpose of talking rubbish on twitter and facebook may find these features very useful.

Well just to have a peak I did change my windows 8 login from a local account using my hotmail account, I don't use it for anything now anyway.

i found the Apps limited, certainly for email as it only shows the last few emails and I can't find anyway of going to older emails.

I don't really trust the cloud to be honest I know i use lastpast for my passwords, but that is only after a lot of research.
i can't find a app for twitter or facebook unless the people app is for that,

In the mail app you right click & show folders it shows all your Hotmail exactly like it dose on the web version with all your extra stuff

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 02-Mar-12 20:24:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Linux knows nothing about Grub. The GNU tools offer Grub as an option. They don't insist on its use.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 20:36:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Windows 2000 supported DirectX from version 7 to 9. It didn't come as part of the default install, but many games installed it; or you could download it from Microsoft. (There are a number of games I wouldn't have been able to play if that weren't true.) There was even DirectX support in NT 4.0, although I believe it wasn't supported on 4.5.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Mar-12 13:48:52
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

in my view win2k was primarily coded for office use.

microsoft will have been aware home users were adopting it with higher ratings than millenium so probably based on that decided to release windows XP based on NT code.

vista is what win7 is based on, vista's poor take up was probably a combination of poor marketing, a too buggy early release, win XP's success and at the time was still a viable OS not showing its age fully yet, the fact it ran poorly on low end machines which were probably the majority of the market.

win7 had a different marketing approach with the consumer beta program as well as the very cheap launch price, win XP was starting to show its age eg. no TRIM support and AHCI was becoming popular as well which XP had no built in drivers for, and 64bit was also becoming very popular of which the 64bit edition of XP isnt very good as well as not been included in 32bit packages. It had significant improvements on low end hardware and microsoft tuned UAC to reduce prompts which was to stop a repeat of the bad UAC press.

Win7 still has its critics . eg. I am not a fan of the new taskbar and that quick launch was off by default, to me it was way less productive but luckily its easy to get quick launch back and 3rd party software got my taskbar even better than it was in XP.

Win8 however to me has too much GUI changes that make it inefficient to use with a mouse. Its probable it runs even better on low end systems as its now focused on phones and tablets but if the GUI is horrible to use it overides it. The question is can a 3rd party developer do things like bring the taskbar and start menu back to what I like, then win8 may become viable for me. Win8 success probably depends on how win8 phones sell, I think it will bomb on the desktop.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to