Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 10:58:50
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I must have imagined the copy I bought in Dixons.

I never said it was not in Dixons,, I said I never saw it, then again we have not had a dixons for years.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 10:59:46
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Well, put an icon on the Desktop then.

No, no,no. i detest icons on my desktop, I like them somewhere which is easy to get at and the desktop is not easy to get at if you got something running on it.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 11:03:23
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
In the mail app you right click & show folders it shows all your Hotmail exactly like it dose on the web version with all your extra stuff

Ash

I found that, but it still only shows the last few emails and not all of them for some reason.

i presume at some point Yahoo and Google will bring out a Metro version of their service. I also expect someone will bring out a Metro app that can link to normal email services.

Surly any business worth their salt will not use Hotmail or any of the other free webmails.

Adrian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 11:04:12
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Depends how you like working. I understand the metro apps are either full screen or half screen. Wouldn't suit me as if I'm actually working rather than playing I'd have multiple windows open on screen.

Metro is not a user interface I'd want to have at work. Okay for devices with limited screen space though.

Full screen or quarter screen, I can't get them to stay at half screen.

Adrian

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 11:06:01
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

You got to find it first.
Not exactly difficult. Just right-click on the Start screen and select "All Applications". Then you'll get icons for everything on the Start Screen. Pin the ones that you want to the Start Screen and then reverse the process.
do they want us to go back to Dos days where we have to type in commands?
It seems to me that they are offering a choice of more ways to do a task. Choice is good.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 09-Mar-12 11:18:06
Print Post

If it's like gnome 3 just start typing when you're on the start page and it will show candidate applications. e.g. for notepad typing n o will bring up applications starting with no.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 09-Mar-12 11:25:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by acpsd775:
In the mail app you right click & show folders it shows all your Hotmail exactly like it dose on the web version with all your extra stuff

Ash

I found that, but it still only shows the last few emails and not all of them for some reason.

i presume at some point Yahoo and Google will bring out a Metro version of their service. I also expect someone will bring out a Metro app that can link to normal email services.

Surly any business worth their salt will not use Hotmail or any of the other free webmails.

I suppose so but then again a lot of business do use exchange accounts which are supported but also most businesses will use office outlook of some kind and not windows live mail or metro mail either lol, its just a simple home user mail client my mum loves it because there's no extra things for her to push by accident lol which she seams to manage no matter what shes doing lol i dont have a preference either way all my email gos to my S2 so i hardly look at it on the computer anyway but that is me obviously other people will have different habits and as you say it would be nice if other company's do there own mail apps too smile

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 11:33:42
Print Post

Well then, <Windows>+Q will bring up the list of all installed applications. Or just press <Windows> and get back to the Start screen, then select the icon.

Edited by AEP (Fri 09-Mar-12 11:35:23)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 17:22:15
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I know of come very large companies that still run some DOS and win95 computers due to legacy issues, in fact they have store cupboards of old PC's to use when the ones running the OS breaks.

That is just laughable though. It makes no sense to carry on doing this. They would probably save enough in energy and storage costs alone to make excuse for them to get with the times. Storage is very rarely in abudance in organizations. What a management headache that must be. Then again, they probably don't realise what they are missing, hence problem.

It seems very short sighted to me that things are still running DOS and Windows 95 because nobody has the balls to upgrade the system. Honestly, it's just a joke.

Perhaps the problem was their bespoke software was designed and coded by idiots meaning as soon as any sort of OS upgrade came out, it was so difficult to get the software to work on the new system, and/or issues to migrate from the system - well as said previously, they should have thought of that when they got people to develop software, and it's not really an excuse, because eventually it will need to be done.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 22:15:01
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Perhaps the problem was their bespoke software was designed and coded by idiots meaning as soon as any sort of OS upgrade came out, it was so difficult to get the software to work on the new system
You mean the idiots who did not foresee MS changing the driver model for example leaving much older but still essential equipment behind?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to