Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:05:23
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

corporations dont care for things like fancy themes, multimedia updates etc.
No, but they do care about security. And most sensible corporations don't "pay enough" just to support a few legacy systems that should have been updated years ago. Not if they want to remain in business.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:06:23
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Does that mean you are still running MS-DOS 3.0? Or perhaps you have upgraded to Windows 3.0.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:44:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
corporations dont care for things like fancy themes, multimedia updates etc.

This is very naive of other benefits of upgrading to a more modern OS. DirectAccess for example is a fantastic technology which can solve many challenges. (unfortunately if you talk to your average network admin they probably dont know what this is - which goes a long way in explaining how some of these situations arise)

What about security and data protection requirements etc? I do know of cases where businesses are resorting to all sorts of antics with encryption -- when it would be probably just more sensible to upgrade to a Windows 7 Enterprise SKU, and reap the additional benefits in the process.

I also expect they not keen on retraining staff because microsoft decided to change the GUI.

Surely if they are running NT4 it is the opposite? What do all their employees have at home? Probably XP, Vista, or 7. One would hope.

Dealing with users and managers with respect to IT is a science in it's own right. A typical management example, say more than half of the workforce don't want to upgrade the system, so you stay with the current, the problem is the training department is still in existance and all new employees are trained in the old software, you can actually then run into the problem of company culture. Staff who want the new system and are probably the more productive ones are constantly in the minority, and nothing ever gets upgraded.

Eventually, someone needs to just tell the staff to deal with the change and stop with the moaning.

Also microsoft are still patching NT4/2000 to those who pay enough.

Hmm, where have you heard this?

Edited by Pipexer (Sat 10-Mar-12 23:42:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 10:04:11
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kiggs:
Agreed. Gnome 3's usability is awful - even some of the graphical elements don't seem finished off.

That is why i stayed with a older version of ubuntu, saying that I can't use it at the moment the hard drive on my laptop don't seem to be reconised for some reason.

I been using windows 8 as my main Os for a couple of days now, not going to keep it, just having a look for a few weeks.

Had a few problems and still got some. Screen keeps blanking out for some reason, put new drivers in for graphics card as well from Nvidea.

Incredimail plays up I have to launch it via a desktop icon and need to change compatibility to Xp every time, which is strange as it works fine with windows 7.

My Iron browser mucked up and will not keep it's profile, using Commodo Dragon browser at the moment.

If I stay in the desktop I don't really notice much difference, I have as yet don't feel the need to use the metro interface apart from the computer first starts up.

So i think the metro interface on desktops and laptops is just another way to get people to sign up to Microsoft cloud, as of yet I have not found any use for it.

I made a image backup of my windows 7 Os so it is easy enough to get back to windows 7.

I would not buy Windows 8 as it don't offer anything extra for me.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Sun 11-Mar-12 10:14:35
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Yes! It still works.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 11:05:40
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Fair enough. I'd be interested to know which browser you are using in MS-DOS to access TBB.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 14:39:15
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Well this is where we come to the problem I think software developers have.

Developers will change things for the sake of change as they need to sell new software. To convince customers the software is different enough to warrant purchase then changing how it works is a common tactic, they often sell these changes as innotive and efficent when it may not be the case.

If you are a large business and your workforce is finely tuned to the software you using and the software does what you need of it then why would you upgrade it. Also as is often the case with large companies desktop machines are not even connected to the internet (intranet only) and also locked down with independent security software which goes some way to mitigating security risks.

Now as a casual home user, upgrading to the latest fancy OS may not mean much of a risk to you, oh I might have a driver/hardware issue no big deal I will just replace the hardware and do without for a few days, oh the gui has changed no big deal I will eventually get used to it.

Also gui changes isnt necessarily just getting used to it, some changes microsoft have done are less efficient full stop.

So microsoft and other developers can develop how they want, but customers dont have to follow what those developers say they can choose how they operate their own equipment how they want.

As for windows 8, I really cant see large companies mass replacing kit and retraining staff to use a touchscreen focused OS.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 16:22:00
Print Post

As for windows 8, I really cant see large companies mass replacing kit and retraining staff to use a touchscreen focused OS.
Ah, now I appreciate your misunderstanding of the situation.
Standard User Moto
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Mar-12 22:25:44
Print Post

Microsoft are going to clean up.

A common interface across phone, tablet and Pc. They are obviously listening to their customers who spend millions on getting disparate systems talking to each other.

laugh A friend surfing in laugh
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Mar-12 09:12:04
Print Post

[re: Moto] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Moto:
Microsoft are going to clean up.

A common interface across phone, tablet and Pc. They are obviously listening to their customers who spend millions on getting disparate systems talking to each other.

They will have to improve it, not the nicest thing to use to be honest, tried it as a main Os for a couple of days, but got fed up of the problems and mismatch. gone back to windows 7.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to