Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Mar-12 13:19:33
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shalom2005:
It's really quite dreadful in my opinion and will only succeed for tablets & touchscreens. For traditional PC users it is really a complete mess. It took me a few minutes to work out how to do a search and how to shutdown. Explorer had a few improvements, like pausing copying and Task Manager looked nice, but I'm sure there are, or will be utilities that do the same.

One has to click several times to do the tasks you do in one click on Windows 7. It just looks like Microsoft has redesigned a perfectly good operating system to make a few more bucks, so users can 'upgrade'.

Do I stand alone? Am I being unfair??!

I tried it last night on my iMac using VirtualBox, it loaded and ran ok. Then after a while I wanted to shut it down and get on with some other stuff. It is not at all obvious and took a few mins and a quick google to see how to do it. It would certainly not tempt me away from OS X.

I do not think that you are being unfair at all, to me it looked like the usual Windows mess with an extra layer or two of interface complexity.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 13:32:18
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

I wonder if it is possibly unfair to judge an Operating System because you spent a few minutes playing with a Beta and found some things not immediately obvious? How obvious is it to shut down OS X if you have never used it before and have read no books about it (or even the minimal instructions that Apple supply). Answer - it is not intuitive.

Betas are really for users who don't need hand-holding and can work out a few basics for themselves. I'm sure that when the final version is delivered it will come with some introductory material to teach you the basics. If not, rest assured that there will be a host of "dummies" books to help.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 01-Mar-12 14:36:56
Print Post

I can't judge as I don't use Windows. However if the main change is to the user interface then it is rather a con.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Thu 01-Mar-12 15:03:05
Print Post

Are Wordpad and Notepad included in this preview?

Or am I wasting my time looking for them?
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 15:58:42
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

The main change is not to the user interface. It introduces a whole new set of applications (Metro), for example, which display live data in their icons on the Start Page. This is something that other consumer OSs do not do. Also there is a new storage technology, and many other improvements.

As you say, you don't use Windows so I guess you wouldn't notice the changes.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Mar-12 16:03:49
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I recently upgraded my Ubuntu machine to 11.10 and the interface there, is substantially changed (Gnome 3) but I found my way around it much more easily than the Windows 8 preview. On OS X you would quickly notice the menu bar at the top of the screen and the Dock at the bottom. At least you would have somewhere to look. Windows 8 seems to hide things from the user.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 01-Mar-12 16:16:40
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

What do you mean by live data in their icons? Sounds pretty similar to the continuous updates Gnome 3 start page icons get.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 16:19:23
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

Both are included. Right-click on the Start screen and select "All apps" from the menu bar at the bottom.

No more difficult that Windows 7, is it? Just different.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 16:24:05
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

On OS X you would quickly notice the menu bar at the top of the screen and the Dock at the bottom.
You would; and you know how to use these things. But to a beginer it is not obvious that you have to click on the apple at the top left of the screen and select "Shut down...". It's easy when you know how. So is Windows 8 once you learn how. But a cursory play with it is not enough to discover everything.

Truth is, the easiest way to shut down any modern computer is just to give the power button a push - and it's the most intuitive method too.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 16:54:59
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I was thinking of, for example, the Finance icon which provided live updates of stock market trends. This is rather more advanced than the trivial changes you get to icons in some other OSs (for example to indicate new mail).

I've not used Gnome 3, so I'll take your word for it that it does this sort of thing. I'm not aware of anything like that in any other (perhaps I should have added commercial) consumer OS.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to