Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Mar-12 17:17:53
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Apologes for terminology misuse; I'm aware that Linux is just the kernel and GNU Linux is the tools + the kernel. I was using the "street" name Linux to refer to what comes with a distro smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:25:07
Print Post

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

I dont see why both Metro and the current standard desktop are needed - surely having both just adds unwanted complexity to the operating system and increases the chance of bugs.

Removing the start button does seem to be a silly idea - the new area to bring up the shutdown/search etc facilities is quite small and could cause people problems.

It did run well in VirtualBox though.

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Preview of AtomZ My Blog
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:52:04
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Depends how you like working. I understand the metro apps are either full screen or half screen. Wouldn't suit me as if I'm actually working rather than playing I'd have multiple windows open on screen.

Metro is not a user interface I'd want to have at work. Okay for devices with limited screen space though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 07:26:43
Print Post

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

An excellent article here from someone who has actually used Windows 8 for a while.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-12 10:16:10
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
An excellent article here from someone who has actually used Windows 8 for a while.
So basically the good thing about Windows 8 is that it isn't Windowed?

The idea of 'one screen, one app' dates back to the 1980s. Oh well - it proves one of my key points about life. What goes around comes around. Command Line Interfaces rebounded a couple of years ago in the technical world so I suppose GUIs were next.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-12 10:23:10
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Is your computer made for Windows8?

Thought not, nuff said

No such thing as 'made for windows8'.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-12 10:23:48
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Fail for me. I tried installing it on my laptop but it rejected my Windows Vista key.

It does not use a Vista key, it as its own.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 10:48:56
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Not sure that you read the whole article, but yes. One of the good things about Windows 8 is that it is not totally tied to the windowing concept (though it can be if you want). It may be heresy to say that perhaps multiple overlapping windows aren't the best solution in all situations but it is a heresy that I am prepared to embrace (in the same way that OS X has, albeit not in such a sophisticated manner).

If you think that the only difference between Windows and a CLI is the windowing feature then I think you probably need to do a little more research. IMO the main advance that Windows brought wasn't WIMPs but it was the unified device model. No longer did each program have to provide its own printer drivers, for example.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:13:28
Print Post

It may be heresy to say that perhaps multiple overlapping windows aren't the best solution in all situations
But surely is with the typical size of monitors these days and even if you had a monitor the size of your wall it would be hard work moving your neck to flick focus from one document to another rather than just your eyes.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:45:31
Print Post

The OP did state only good for touch screens.
I see the article is about use on a touch screen tablet.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to