Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:09:49
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

It'll be fine for the normal consumer who just surfs the internet, looks at pictures and videos, and uses e-mail.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:12:24
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

But all at the same time?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:28:53
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

So? Perhaps you'd like to nit-pick This article too? wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:24:22
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Perhaps two at a time if their screen is big enough. The Windows 8 vision seems to be that a PC is just a big phone screen.

Edited by john2007 (Mon 05-Mar-12 16:53:57)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-12 15:35:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
So? Perhaps you'd like to nit-pick This article too? wink
"The other big thing setting Metro apps apart from traditional Windows applications is that they're subject to a severely curtailed multitasking model—again, not dissimilar to that of the iPad. Typically, Metro applications can only actually run when they're visible. If they become hidden (by starting another application or switching to the desktop) then after a few seconds they'll be suspended. Start enough applications, and the suspended apps will get terminated altogether."

It gets worse. First we lose windowing and now we're losing multitasking?

Just call me Marty McBride, huh?

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 18:11:30
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Has it not occured to you though that Metro apps are for tablet users and people who want metro.... And the desktop is there for people who don't want to use a Metro app?

There is no point speculating what will happen in Windows 9 or Windows 10 and whether Metro will take over the world, because that's not here yet, but instead focus on Windows 8.

It may be easier to think of the start screen as seperate to the Metro apps, because in some ways that is what it is. The start screen is used to launch both metro apps and standard Windows apps depending on what they are, and your settings. It is possible people who don't like metro apps are then automatically not liking the start screen.

Think of the metro apps as an option, yet the start screen as a requirement, if you get your head round the start screen, you aren't forced to use metro apps.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 18:25:34
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Of course, you can use Metro Apps on a PC and some of them are quite useful there. But I expect them to be the sort of thing that you don't want running in the background. A weather forecast, an RSS viewer, a stock price tracker, for example; what's the point of them consuming CPU cycles when they're not displaying?
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 18:29:21
Print Post

Sorry, yes, I should have put emphasis on the "and people who want metro" in my post. Andrue does have a valid point of course, Metro is not great for multitasking in the way that desktop windows are, but as I said, that's what the desktop is there for wink

I think it's a highly clever and smart effort to make an OS suitable for all manners of hardware to run on, and I'll be purchasing a Windows 8 tablet in no time when they come on the market.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 18:48:52
Print Post

I'll be purchasing a Windows 8 tablet in no time when they come on the market.
If IE doesn't crash every five minutes, and doesn't take you back to an older cached page, as Safari does on the iPad then I'll be first in line to trade in for a Windows 8 tablet. The main thing I want to use a tablet for and iOS can't handle it.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-12 19:31:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Has it not occured to you though that Metro apps are for tablet users and people who want metro.... And the desktop is there for people who don't want to use a Metro app?
Yes but based on various blogs it's also occurred to me that Metro is where Microsoft see Windows going. I think they expect most users to be using Metro over time. Server administration seems to be being pushed back toward the command line (MS has dictated that all server apps must have command line support and there's the whole PowerShell support). So it seems to me that the traditional desktop is going to have a limited audience.

I normally try to avoid bashing 'the new thing' but that's on the basis that the new thing does everything the old did so I can carry on and just use the new features. What I'm seeing with Metro so far is that it's simply not adequate for me. No doubt as a software developer I'll have to code for it at some point but I think I'm going to be developing applications that I will never want to use - a bit like cross-platform development.

That's disturbing.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Mon 05-Mar-12 19:32:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to