Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 05-Mar-12 19:50:10
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Will Be A Failure Like Vista (Who Agrees?)

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The Metro environment suits consumers who don't know how to make big bland desktop icons for applications which open full screen. The only point in Microsoft pushing this crippled approach seems to be to force software sales through their own store.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Tue 06-Mar-12 11:07:05
Print Post

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

Wouldn't update Win 7 so had to do a clean install.

Once use to it think it will be ok, but I doubt I will be buying a copy,
as happy with Win 7.

RE the shut-down issue, took about 10 seconds for me to find it,
so not an problem for me.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Mar-12 12:17:54
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

I really don't understand the shut-down fuss. It's something that you do once or twice a day (or far less often for some people), so what does it matter if it's not a single-click? (Even though you can easily make it so.) It might be argued that it's good to make you think about it.

Now if it was something that you do all the time, like running a program, I could understand. But they've made that easier; just type the program name at the Start screen and away you go (as demonstrated by the person wanting to find Notepad and Wordpad). Or pin the item to the Start screen if you want to use a mouse or touch screen.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Tue 06-Mar-12 12:53:07
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I hardly ever shut my PC down.
I put it to sleep by pressing F5, via a very simple shortcut.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Mar-12 13:36:35
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I really don't understand the shut-down fuss. It's something that you do once or twice a day (or far less often for some people), so what does it matter if it's not a single-click? (Even though you can easily make it so.) It might be argued that it's good to make you think about it.
Nor do, I really. I either close the lid if it's a laptop or press the power button. I can understand the fuss over hot corners though. That doesn't sound clever particularly on multi monitor setup.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Tue 06-Mar-12 13:37:34)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Mar-12 15:19:26
Print Post

I'm playing with this properly at the moment and so far I'm actually pleasantly surprised. The flip from metro to desktop is nowhere near as ugly as some have suggested. It does feel like two different modes but actually seems quite workable. It didn't take me long to find what I needed (right clicking on the Metro screen then selecting All apps is a good start).

Rather to my surprise I can see myself using this. It'd be better if it wasn't running in a VM and I can't really install my developer tools to give it a proper workout but I think MS have done a good job here.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Mar-12 19:11:11
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

there is a few reasons why its bad to suspend background apps.

any apps that stay connected to the internet such as ssh clients would drop connectivity whilst suspended, I often have ssh windows in the background collecting stats etc. for me. One might also have a background browser window auto refreshing a page for their own purposes. Another might have a benchmark tool running in the background, another may have a game minimised in the background, outlook is an app that would be in the background and alerting when emails arrive, the list goes on.

metro has its place but its not on powerful desktop machines.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 06-Mar-12 19:11:26)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 06-Mar-12 19:37:55
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

So install background apps on the desktop.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Mar-12 22:25:53
Print Post

Windows 8 is a worthless pile of crud. It's more like a smart phone than a OS for a desktop.
Windows 8 will also have privacy concerns, as you will need to use the cloud with win 8.

Win XP and 7 are the best. Winodws 8 is the next vista, of should I say, Millenium Edition. wink
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Mar-12 07:06:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Windows 8 will also have privacy concerns, as you will need to use the cloud with win 8.
Untrue.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to