Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 09:45:09
Print Post

Re: Anyone move XP Pro from Dual core to i7 hardware?

[re: pcologist] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcologist:
It will work the processor is not tied to an operating system, There will obviously be some degradation using an i7 processor with an obsolete operating system. As XP has a total limitation to 4 processors and as the i7 is a quad processor but it simulates an extra processor per core thus giving a total of 8 processors [4 physical and 4 virtual].
It will require a full install of XP preferably with slip streamed drivers however you could load drivers at the pre install with a floppy or USB stick enabling the BIOS to allow this. Be aware that you may have to play about with sound and Intel video drivers and there will be a RAM limit of 3GB. But with a little tweaking I am sure you can get XP to run fine. Have you thought of an i5 processor which is quicker than the i7 but is a true quad core instead of a simulated 8?

Interesting I pretty much assumed an i7 would be quicker as it is more expensive and only gave a brief glance over the specs on the Intel site. Thanks for the info.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 15:49:30
Print Post

Re: Anyone move XP Pro from Dual core to i7 hardware?

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

It will be quicker, what he probably means was there is degradation of what the processor is capable of.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to