Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 01:20:26
Print Post

Poll: Who's still using XP and plans use beyond April 2014

[link to this post]

Me, anyone else?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 01:25:34
Print Post

Re: Poll: Who's still using XP and plans use beyond April 20

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Me, anyone else?

Most certainly not.

Without thinking about it too hard the only reason I can think of using XP is that you have some bespoke application that can't run on Windows 7, this may include gamers who like retro games (though most games that work on XP work on 7). Apart from that, can't see any reason at all.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 01:46:40
Print Post

Me too!

See no reason to buy new PC or OS when one I have is perfectly adequate and runs everything I want. Indeed I still run some Win 95 s/w.

Do have Vista lappy as stand-by, mainly when visiting kids want the PC smile. Still prefer XP over Vista. Have spent years getting to know its secrets.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 01:46:52
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

1. For me I have lots of applications that wont run on Win 7, I have tried a few in a win 7 virtual machine its not as smooth an operation under compatibility mode as I would like and dont fancy xp mode under win 7.

2. Cost for 2 machines of upgrading apps and os.

3. Have just everything as I like it no errors or bugs in XP or apps.

4. XP still good enough for my local NHS trust.

Only thing that worries me is lack of security updates after April 2014.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-12 04:33:54
Print Post

I still use XP ,i also have win7 but prefer XP
As for the updates as long as you use a good AV with firewall i wouldn't envisage many problems security wise,

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 06:14:06
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
I still use XP ,i also have win7 but prefer XP
As for the updates as long as you use a good AV with firewall i wouldn't envisage many problems security wise,

Good point.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 07:39:04
Print Post

If I wanted to run an obsolete OS then I'd stick with Windows 2000.
Standard User greenglide
(member) Tue 10-Apr-12 09:39:45
Print Post

I would only consider running XP (reluctantly) on hardware which originally had XP installed on it.

XP seems to have this aura of "this is wonderful" when, in fact, it was really the first of the "almost proper" operating systems which actually worked (sort of)!

While ME and Vista were two major disasters Win 7 actually works and I would never go back (and with a core i7 Sandybridge processor it would be madness anyway)

Many corporate users still have XP on their estates (my employers do as it is mandated by our customers!!!) but are rapidly re-evaluating their options as the support expires.

Just because the local NHS uses XP isnt a recomendation in my eyes - look at the huge NHS IT project that has failed, presumably the continued use of XP is because of this and some rubbish software that hasnt been updated for years which requires XP (normally because of dependancy on Internet Explorer 7 or earlier which isnt supported on Win 7).

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Now with BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload! Never happier!
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-12 09:42:57
Print Post

Given that - by that time the Windows system will be Windows 8 I see no reason to change on the computer which is very happy on XP
Note that it would need a memory upgrade to run Win7 so God knows what it would need for Win8
So I should pay out over a hundred pounds and for what when XP just works
Now if the computer falls over and needs a new major item then that is a different argument.
If any of the major bits failed it would be a complete rebuild as all the parts are obsolete

Edited by Oldjim (Tue 10-Apr-12 10:08:26)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 09:51:14
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

So I should pay out over a hundred pounds
You're going to the wrong place for your memory. Last time I bought some RAM, earlier this year, it cost me £35 for 8GB. It'll be a bit more expensive for an older computer, but nowhere near £100 for a couple of GB. Memory upgrades are a no-brainer and are very beneficial for any computer (excluding those running Windows 98 and earlier).

That's the worst reason I've heard for not upgrading to Windows 7.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Apr-12 10:04:53
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

"presumably the continued use of XP is because of .. some rubbish software that hasnt been updated for years which requires XP "

Have you considered the possibility that some organisations have actually looked at the return on investment they would get by moving beyond XP, and decided that it isn't worthwhile for their foreseeable needs in their foreseeable future?

Y'know, the same kind of business logic that sensible organisations use when making non-IT related decisions - does this investment demonstrably help us do business cost-effectively? Or is it just an ego boost for the IT Director, his budget, and his certified Microsoft dependent team?

When's end of life for Windows XP Embedded anyway? There's no successor for that yet, as far as I know, so it seems likely that there will be continued updates for XP in one form or another for quite a while yet.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 10:05:22
Print Post

I still use XP on two or three boxes and it will remain that way on at least one of them as some of the software that I run simply will not run inside Win7. That software will never be updated so unless a viable alternative becomes available, which I doubt, XP will remain in service.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-12 10:09:37
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Add the cost for a Win7 upgrade license and you get the over £100
Now add on the hassle of a complete system reinstall

Edited by Oldjim (Tue 10-Apr-12 10:12:15)

Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:00:17
Print Post

I don't see an imperative to change on existing hardware. Another poster puts the position quite clearly - as long as you have reputable apps, good firewall and antivirus there's no real need. Ad that to the fact that not all the older systems work with W7, and W7 is such a change in a lot of ways (not beneficial), and I'll be keeping XP.

Derek
Standard User greenglide
(member) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:15:45
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Isnt that the difference between kit already installed with XP on it and new installations which come with Win 7 preloaded (normally) and then need to reimage with XP?

Corporate users tend to want a consistent environment which is part of the reason why the take up of Vista / 7 was slow. Now they see the support ending and are putting upgrade plans in place so that all their kit is consistent on Win 7 rather than XP.

Having to reimage a brand new PC with Windows 7 on it with XP is madness and puts extra money in Microsoft's pocket as they get paid for the Windows 7 image as shipped plus the corporate licenced XP image.

With a decent spec PC with Office 2010 etc Windows 7 is just so much better - it works (and it took me a long time to accept that - Vista didnt!).

Now with BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload! Never happier!
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:40:29
Print Post

So the memory upgrade was a red herring! I agree; if you are happy with XP, and you can live with the implications of no security updates, then stick with it.

Personally I prefer to run a modern, secure operating system on a modern computer. I can stand the cost of an upgrade every four or five years (which cost me all of £35 for Windows 7). But it's not for everyone. I still see cases of people running Windows 95.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:43:04
Print Post

I haven't seen 95 in a while but I do know of two DOS users. They are both tied to it by obscure software that won't run under emulation.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:43:45
Print Post

I will rely on a top flight internet security package and updates of Java, Flash, etc. to keep it safe
Do you really think any Windows OS is a secure operating system - think again

Edited by Oldjim (Tue 10-Apr-12 11:45:47)

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:44:02
Print Post

I'll bet there are still some Windows 3.x systems out there doing the stuff for small clubs and societies. I know I got rid of a 3.1 system from our local church's office less than 2 years ago. I still have all the files from it - just in case wink.

Tony
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:50:47
Print Post

They are as secure as any desktop OS - and have been demonstrated to be more secure than OS X, for example. Widows 2000 Server (or it might even have been NT) was one of the first OSs to receive a security certification from the US Government.

But do I think that XP is as secure as Windows 7? No.

Do I think that XP without further security updates will be protected by a firewall and anti-virus package? To some extent, Yes, but not completely. There is no substitute for security updates to the OS itself.

I would hope that, by now, most of the security holes in XP have been found, but the bad guys are very clever.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:53:12
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I'm sure there are. I wouldn't connect one to the Internet, though!

No-one, that I am aware of, produces an up-to-date security package for Windows 95 (or even 2000). Once XP goes out of support the situation will be the same. Software publishers will not continue to support an OS that the manufacturer has abandoned.

Have you tried getting anti-virus software for OS/2 recently? wink
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-12 13:03:01
Print Post

I will stay with XP for as long as possible, prefer it for general computing, but for video editing I use a dedicated machine running Win7.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 15:52:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Have you considered the possibility that some organisations have actually looked at the return on investment they would get by moving beyond XP, and decided that it isn't worthwhile for their foreseeable needs in their foreseeable future?

Then the business probably have their calculations wrong, or they have employed idiots to manage the Windows network who aren't aware of the superior management functionality of Windows 7, therefore can't make use of it. They probably are concerned about all the time that they might have to spend going around with a DVD installing Windows 7!!

Or perhaps they made the mistake of having enterprise software which is either poorly written, or even worse, resorted to modifying Windows DLLs or something else rather stupid, and then act surprised when they find out it wont work on the next version of the OS.

Happens a lot.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 10-Apr-12 16:11:16)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 15:55:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:

No, I don't need to think again. Windows is (as AEP put it perfectly) as secure as any operating system in it's field, it's all about what you, the user, do with it which often results in it being insecure.

Zen 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Apr-12 16:15:57
Print Post

"new installations which come with Win 7 preloaded "

And the first thing a corporate IT department (or their system supplier) does is re-image it with their standard image.

"Having to reimage a brand new PC with Windows 7 on it with XP is madness"

See above.

"extra money in Microsoft's pocket as they get paid for the Windows 7 image as shipped plus the corporate licenced XP image."

Not what outfits like Dell say to their corporate customers on their corporate website, unless it's changed recently.

Wrt another post re better manageability in Win7: you may well be right, but how many IT departments *actually* care about that kind of thing? Lots of them *should*.
Standard User TMCR
(regular) Tue 10-Apr-12 16:28:50
Print Post

I bought a computer. It had Windows XP installed. I still use that computer.

If I bought a new computer it may have windows 7, in which case I would use Windows 7.

Last year I lost my job. At my time of life I will be lucky to find other employment. The limits of my small pension do not suggest buying a new computer is a good thing.

Looks like I'm staying with XP then. I also have a laptop running XP. I don't think I will be spending £100+ on buying Win7 to to give myself the headache of re-installing everything either.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Tue 10-Apr-12 16:43:46
Print Post

It wasn't a red herring it was part of what the person needs to do to upgrade.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 20:10:33
Print Post

Me

Be* Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Apr-12 21:12:55
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

If any of you refusnicks are interested I can let you have portable Compag with lovely orange on black screen running DOS from 1.2Mb 8" floppy ?

Or 1990's 10" colour Toshiba Laptop with Win 95, cost £3000 then, even have the dock for it...?
Regards,
Martin
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 21:41:32
Print Post

If any of you refusnicks are interested I can let you have portable Compag with lovely orange on black screen running DOS from 1.2Mb 8" floppy ?
1. Compaq never made a computer with 8" floppy drives.

2. There was no 8" floppy disk with a capacity of 1.2Mb.

3. It's very unusual to quote floppy disk capacities in megabits; kilobytes or megabytes are more usual.

Apart from that, no comment.

(Edited to correct an error!)

Edited by AEP (Tue 10-Apr-12 21:46:28)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Apr-12 08:55:07
Print Post

My main computer uses windows 7 and i now dual boot with Linux., my second computer have windows 8 on, but that will go back to Windows XP, my laptop uses Linux and tye little 1.1Ghx AMD machine which have my security cameras connected still use windows 98Se.

i know plenty of people who will be using XP for a very long time unless they have to get a new computer. i would still be using it as my main OS if I did not get Windows 7 at a good price.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User j112
(committed) Wed 11-Apr-12 10:06:09
Print Post

definitely yes I find XP much more stable, easier to use and overall a much better o/s then windows 7...

------------------------------------------------------------------

ISP INFO

Leiceste MONTFORT Internet Connections:
0 - NTL WORLD DIAL UP
1st ISP PIPEX 512k-1mb IPSTREAM
2nd ISP UKONLINE- 4.5mb LLU
3rd ISP Zen - never got connected !
4th SKY MAX LLU - 3.5mb
Current ISP VIrgin Media 30mb

------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Wed 11-Apr-12 11:17:27
Print Post

Just for interest and for an old data file I needed, I dug out my old Compaq with XP from a year ago. Sooooo slow compared with later Compaq W7 though this may be new processor, Some older progs eg FSim, Pinnacle, Quark 4 won't run on W7 but Quark 8 which will is a clumsy overblown dog. Otherwise W7 is fine for me, everything smoother and faster especially bootup/restart.
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Wed 11-Apr-12 17:57:24
Print Post

That wasn't the question.

I run W2K for my print server and have had no issues in 2 years. I also use XP on a PC and W7 on my laptop.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Apr-12 18:31:16
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

It may not have been the question, but it was the correct answer.
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Wed 11-Apr-12 18:37:44
Print Post

Duh!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Apr-12 18:39:50
Print Post

Just like a call centre always giving an irrelevant answer to an unasked Q.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Apr-12 23:19:10
Print Post

I have 15,000 desktops here (*), all running XP.

* - Not all physically here, but on this network!

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Apr-12 23:55:12
Print Post

I use Windows 7 though support folk that are still running XP which I advise to stick with unless they want a specific new OS feature. Most of the computers running XP that I come across are too old to support Aero or anything that makes 7 really worthwhile so I just tell users to hold out until they buy a brand new machine.

Though I did upgrade to Vista and must have been the only one who found it to be a faster and better experience than XP on the same desktop.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Apr-12 00:02:32
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

You must have been doing something right. Unfortunately most do something wrong, which is why they have bad experiences of Vista.

Windows 7 is of course superior to Windows Vista, but I never get straight answers from people who say Vista was a complete disaster. I think lots of problems were when Vista first came out and people were installing incompatible stuff on it, like security programs, which goosed it up. The software ecosystem is had progressed by the time 7 came out so there were less occurances of people unassumingly installing [censored] on it.

Zen 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Apr-12 01:34:57
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

OK, I will trow this 'myth' in here to stir things up a little.

A guy I know refurbishes computers for charity.
Recently I offered him a Dell Pentium 3 desktop, which is surplus to requirements.
I told him it runs XP pro, but just needs more memory to speed it up.

He said he doesn't not want it, because M$ updates have deliberately slowed XP down to force people on newer computers....

So, I tried to speed it up, cleared all un-necessary running stuff, de-fragged the disk,
but even with 4GB of free space it doesn't go any faster.

Is he right ?
Regards,
Martin
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Apr-12 01:39:26
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JonRennie:

But what is the plan after April 2014 with those desktops Jon?

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vodoun
(regular) Thu 12-Apr-12 03:48:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
In reply to a post by JonRennie:

But what is the plan after April 2014 with those desktops Jon?

Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

--------
Too much knowledge is dangerous!
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Apr-12 05:29:19
Print Post

Rolling replacement...but it won't start until at least mid-2013 - and it takes a long time to roll out 15,000 desktops.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Apr-12 12:54:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Is he right ?
Regards,
Martin

No, it's complete rubbish. I wouldn't take anything he says as gospel when he comes out with statements like that!

I would probably say WIndows XP with SP3 is faster than without any updates. It will use more hard disk space indeed, but some of those updates that have come out over its lifetime have been to improve effiency and stability in Windows components!

Old PCs can become slow, often it's due to the HDD slowing down, and sometimes other things that remain a mystery.

The best thing to do is to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP and see whether it improves things. If its slow right off the bat after installing Windows XP, then there is probably something wrong with the hardware and probably isn't worth wasting further time. P3 is pretty old.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:59:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
1. Compaq never made a computer with 8" floppy drives.

2. There was no 8" floppy disk with a capacity of 1.2Mb.

3. It's very unusual to quote floppy disk capacities in megabits; kilobytes or megabytes are more usual.

Don't know about Compaq but other details are correct -

8-inch DSDD (IBM 53FD / Shugart 850)
1200 kB (MS-DOS FAT), marketed as 1.2 MB

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3

Edited by Nick_Russell (Fri 13-Apr-12 10:01:15)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Apr-12 10:42:13
Print Post

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

I think you might have missed the distinction between megabits (Mb) and megabytes(MB). A 1200Mb disk would be 150KB and, as I said, they were never made in that capacity (that I am aware of). As I said, Compaq never used 8" floppies of any capacity in their portable computers.

I'm very well aware of the existence of 8" floppy drives as such (as used on early microcomputers and the System 38 from IBM, for example). Heck, I even have a box of unused, unformatted 8" floppy disks. That's where the designation "floppy" came from!
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Fri 13-Apr-12 11:12:03
Print Post

I said -

"1200 kB (MS-DOS FAT), marketed as 1.2 MB "

As far as I know this is correct, 1200kB=1.1719MB.

Note "marketed" as 1.2 MB.

I wouldn't get too worked up about a possible typo by original poster when he put Mb instead of MB.

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 11:13:17
Print Post

Nope. Vista on my PC, and am pretty happy with it (I tweaked it though).

If I had to run an older OS, perhaps for 16 bit-game installer reasons, I would use W2K Pro SP2. Stable, reliable and pretty free from bloat for its time. THrow in 2GB or RAM with it on an old P4 with as modern a gfx card as I could get to work with it, and enjoy the FPS. smile

Edit: IMO, XP was more hassle than help. BSOD city, and that was after SP2.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Edited by camieabz (Fri 13-Apr-12 11:14:32)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Apr-12 11:16:48
Print Post

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

I know what you said. I know what the OP said. I recognize a light-hearted comment when I make it.
Standard User greenglide
(member) Fri 13-Apr-12 12:16:32
Print Post

And the original use for floppy discs was:-

Booting the microcode on IBM 360 or 370 series (can't remember which) a long time ago and never used IBM mainframes - too busy with ICL 1900 / 2900 range!

BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,

Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!

FTTC Cab just installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Apr-12 12:49:31
Print Post

Yeah, they were standard on IBM mainframes and midrange. Our System 38 had an 8" drive along with a bunch of hard disks the size of washing machines. Tape cartridge drives took over the role of the floppies on newer machines.
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Apr-12 13:34:07
Print Post

moved over to windows 7 as my pc was an z68 asrock extreme 4 with i7 2600k 4.5 ghz and 8gb of dd3 ghskill memory including raid 0 ssd x3 ocz agility

reason why was utilization of ram and trim support for ssd

noticed pc runs slow than when i was on xp sp3

do i regret moving over then yes as it was a pain in the ass for nothing

rather be on 64 bit xp to use my memory smile

SOTV KRO BCFC smile
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Fri 13-Apr-12 20:04:07
Print Post

XP for our two towers here. We both understand XP inasmuch 83-year-olds have any grey matter left. Why change? Does what it says on the tin (which is more than I can do these many years gone)

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to