Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kleh
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 18:58:26
Print Post

Re: Windows Media Centre, Freeview, 18th April Switchover,

[re: kleh] [link to this post]

It's not held locally on the PC, it's stored and updated online by data providers working on behalf of Microsoft. Microsoft maintains a website where you can comment on the accuracy of this data (at https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145), which I referred to in my intial post. I posted there on 18/04 questioning whether the London data had been correctly updated after switchover. Microsoft confessed "We have been informed by our data providers that there was a temporary delay in data upload, but this should be correct tomorrow." As far as I can see, the mappings have still not been updated, and I am pretty certain that it is this, rather than Media Center software or tuner hardware which is causing the problem. If you google "Digital Switchover" you will see that exactly the same thing happened in the USA in 2009, and people were unable to use Media Center for weeks.

Edited by kleh (Tue 24-Apr-12 19:01:21)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-12 19:21:31
Print Post

Are you replying to me about the location of the tuning data for WMC?
In reply to a post by kleh:
(at https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145 ),
Both your links to MS don't compute cuz you need spaces around URLs; corrected above.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kleh
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 19:30:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Are you replying to me about the location of the tuning data for WMC?
In reply to a post by kleh:
(at https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145 ),
Both your links to MS don't compute cuz you need spaces around URLs; corrected above.

Yes, that was info about the location of the tuning data

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-12 19:33:55
Print Post

And what was your link meant to be in your post: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/t/4116558-r... ? Even with space it does not compute. Spell it out.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kleh
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 19:36:24
Print Post

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145
(this displays fine to me)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-12 19:43:14
Print Post

Not that one but the one that looks like: https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/feedback/deta... ?

Of course it looks fine to you; you put a newline after it. Have you ever tried clicking on your own links?

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 24-Apr-12 19:53:39
Print Post

That's the beauty of preview- you can make sure your links work before committing yourself smile

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 14:37:33
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

Right, the tuning data, channels & slight frequency shifts, has changed since the switch-overs on all regions and it doesn't look as WMC has caught up.

I've changed the preset tuning data on my 2 TV tuner packages. However, on Hannington transmitter, I can only tune 2 multiplexes out of 5 (the 6th is HD only) and get about 52 stations out of 114. I shall continue experimenting to try and get the other multiplexes.

I also found that my previous indoor aerial position is useless and I'm having trouble finding a suitable position. So maybe signal strength has reduced.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:42:33
Print Post

I also found that my previous indoor aerial position is useless and I'm having trouble finding a suitable position. So maybe signal strength has reduced.
The opposite really should be the case. I am getting much better reception now on both my Freeview box and a media centre with Freeview built in. Both are using indoor aerials.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Thu 26-Apr-12 07:07:08
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

Everything worked here in SE1 using Hauppage Nove TD 500 (DVB-T) and BlackGold BGT 3620 (DVB-T/T2) dual tuners. I did a complete rescan, not a scan for additional channels procedure.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to