Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DonalTrainor82
(newbie) Sun 12-Aug-12 11:38:06
Print Post

Re: Serious problem

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Sorry havent been on in a while have been busy. Fn + f9 does nothing I'm afraid. A USB mouse works fine and the performance option for high is not available to me.

I'm near positive it could be a hard drive problem but before forking out for one and having to pass on the costs to the owner I just have to be sure. The noise is repeating like this : click clk,clk,clk,clk,clk,clk....click. This goes on and on for ages aswell..

Thanks in advance.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Aug-12 12:40:21
Print Post

[re: DonalTrainor82] [link to this post]

Clicking is a classic sign of [impending] hard disk failure, be it electrical or mechanical, and i'm gobsmacked people are suggesting what they're suggesting (pressing keyboard combos, or drivers to fix it).

Back up any data your friend values on it immediately and advise them to RMA it to the seller/manufacturer asap.

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!

Edited by RiffRaff (Sun 12-Aug-12 12:41:10)

Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-12 13:06:41
Print Post

[re: DonalTrainor82] [link to this post]

Hi,

I had one of these toshiba's to repair about 2 months ago aswell. I can confirm that it is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. The problem was caused because the owner didn't know it was only a 30 day McAfee trial when they bought it from pcworld. A virus had damaged the boot sector on the hard drive, which meant the laptop couldn't read from it, and wasn't able to access the restore partition.

I ended up deleting all partitions and reformated the hard drive. Downloaded the digital version from Microsoft (the code on the bottom of the toshiba laptop works).
Installed the drivers from the toshiba website, and it fly's along with 2gb of ram.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DonalTrainor82
(newbie) Sun 12-Aug-12 13:08:13
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

Thanks RiffRaff I thought as much because it just isnt the normal clicking that I can hear its repeating over and over like it is searching then resetting. I think the laptop is out of warranty, so a replacement hard drive shouldnt be too much to pay. Maybe just stay away from Hitachi... Cheers.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Aug-12 13:14:16
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

This particular model? If so I'm going to politely suggest there is something wrong with the laptop hardware or the Windows 7 image that Toshiba are shipping and it wasn't a virus that caused this. Like I said I know 2 people with these laptops and both of them have given serious trouble right from the start.

Something is not quite right with these systems, somewhere...

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-12 14:03:30
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In theory, you could be right about the image on the restore partition being duff. Because the one you repaired Pipexer, you say runs badly after you fixed it, and the one I repaired using the digital version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit goes like a rocket ship.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to