Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 18:47:37
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I guess you're one of those who can't multi-task.
I guess you're wrong.

I guess you're one of those who can't get used to something new. wink

Andrue is 100% correct, it seems like people can't do more than one thing, what the hell is going on?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 24-Oct-12 19:04:43
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

You obviously don't use a computer in your workplace 8 hours every day. The wimp environment has been extremely damaging to productivity, it's not something to be applauded.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 19:14:38
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Your basic error is to assume that you can't do more than one thing at a time with full-screen applications. You can (that's one of the lessons that Apple has learnt), and you can do it much more efficiently than you can with windows. It does take a little practice to get into the swing of things, and you have to open your mind to new concepts, but it works just fine. People don't realize just how much the WIMP paradigm damages productivity.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 19:52:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Metro would only be the future for handheld devices - I don't see any reason for it to be inflicted on PC users - there should be separate versions for those with touch screens and those without, giving the user a choice.

Metro seems to be designed to slow down multi-tasking which is a shame.

Follow me on Twitter. Be*
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 24-Oct-12 19:54:45
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

You don't need a mouse on a PC if you have a touch screen, or a keyboard for that matter. Metro is the future for touch screen devices.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 21:31:29
Print Post

And only for touch screen devices.

Follow me on Twitter. Be*
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 24-Oct-12 21:40:11
Print Post

Correction: Metro is the future for Microsoft OS software based touch screen and (perversely) non touch screen devices. It's not lost on me that devices using the metro interface have not been flying off the shelves despite being around for 12 months now. It seems that actual consumers have not warmed to them and prefer iOS and Android in numbers so huge they make products with Metro OS (for want of a description) look about as popular as Myra Hindley at a kids party.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 21:47:01
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Microsoft is not forcing desktop users to use Metro, that is what some are failing to understand.

If you don't want to use Metro apps, then you don't have to (unless you are running Windows RT of course, but then what do you expect?), if you consider the new start screen a metro app, well then tough you're stuck with that one.

Bar that, you never have to use a metro app to do anything in Windows 8 if you don't have to, everything else is where it used to be....

Metro is there at the moment primarily for touch devices, yes, Microsoft are simply doing you a favour as a desktop user and allowing you to use them if you want, by making it part of the same ecosystem. The same cannot be said of Apple.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Wed 24-Oct-12 21:47:42)

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 24-Oct-12 22:09:40
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I didn't mention Metro apps. I referred to the interface as a whole and as far as I can find there is no avoiding it and other interface offences most foul (like hidden menus of the charm variety) in Windows 8 - whoever turned restart/sleep/shutdown into an easter egg hunt I'd love to know so they could be sent for re-education. There is, in fact, nothing wrong with Metro as a touch screen interface as such, but as I have pointed out it isn't new and consumers have not rushed to buy into it as a touch screen interface never mind the default interface to replace the Start menu. History may prove me wrong, but I wonder whether Microsoft will not be about to find out that Vista was actually recorded as one of their better moments. laugh

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Oct-12 22:45:14
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Well, I won't be buying Win8, no real start menu, no Aero.

I never had a problems with Vista, & would have it over Win8 anyday.

Happy & the moment, with all 4 64bit desktops & 1 64bit laptop all on Win7.

As the 4 Win7 DVDs are all 32bit/64bit retail versions, they'll go on all future rebuilds.

plusnet Extra
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to