Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Oct-12 16:32:00
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Some standard software and peripherals won't run on Win7. I had to buy a new Video Editing package and at least 3 wireless adapters have Vista drivers but no 7 drivers.

My older software worked on Win2K and XP.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Oct-12 20:51:33
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

It's not on the right.. its on the left? I was referring to the fav button moving to the right of the address bar.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Oct-12 21:03:33
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
........ I had to buy a new Video Editing package.......

Pinnacle 10?
In reply to a post by broadband66:
........ and at least 3 wireless adapters have Vista drivers but no 7 drivers

Vista drivers usually work OK under 7.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Oct-12 21:06:09
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

wifi adapters come with the most shocking drivers of the lot. It is hard enough getting them working under the intended OS some time. From the problems I have seen and had with people's wifi adapters I could never blame any OS if it didn't work with them. Nasty stuff.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Oct-12 21:45:15
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I have to say that I've never had a problem and I've installed more than a few. I never use the proprietary supplicants though.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Oct-12 09:05:10
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Applications don't have to be full screen; some are, some aren't. But you are quite right; multiple monitors is a far better solution than overlapping windows.

Metro apps are always full screen, ok you can split the screen, but only in a set way. i don't like that idea.

a second monitor would be better for video editing,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Oct-12 09:17:13
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Metro apps are always full screen
Yes, but Metro Apps are not the sort that you typically run in conjunction with other programs. Actually, the great thing about Metro Apps (IMO) is the live icons that they display on the Start Screen. Wait for Apple to copy that one.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Oct-12 11:16:00
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Metro apps are always full screen
Yes, but Metro Apps are not the sort that you typically run in conjunction with other programs

Metro apps are pretty basic to be honest.
. Actually, the great thing about Metro Apps (IMO) is the live icons that they display on the Start Screen. Wait for Apple to copy that one.

Not fond of that idea too be honest, I don't like the idea of being logged into Ms services all the time. How long will it be before Google brings out a app that allows you to stay logged into their services? that is if they have not already done so.

I got to sort out a Apple Mac tomorrow, My friend got problems with updating her Macbook pro. I have no idea why she asked me as I know very little about the Mac, I use it and that is about it. Oh well another learning curve. It may be because the update was downloaded for her Mac pro and now it is locked to that machine and since she did not want to waste the money, she wants to put it on he laptop.

Adrian

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Oct-12 11:39:49
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

An example of a Metro App well worth checking out, anyone with Windows 8 and an interest in computing should check out the Stanford University App. Great stuff; there look to be similar apps from other establishments but that's the only one I've checked out so far.

I know it's stuff that is probably available on a normal browser, but the App makes it so accessible. Wish I had a Windows 8 tablet to run it on. I might get one of those tablet/notebook hybrids.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Oct-12 11:59:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What is the software that you use at work?

it is not software as such as it works via Internet Explorer, it is a database on servers and boy are they slow. The problem is there are some bits which are no linked.

So say the database to do pos (point of sale) is not linked tot he main system. Normally I write down the Sku of the product that need the POS and stick that into the the system that allows us to print off POS. but last week I found out I could do that via the handset. so I went around the store scanning the products that had no advertising on and once i done I was told that i had to print off the report and then i still had to type all these sku numbers into the computer.

the other silly thing is that if someone is printing out POs, no one else can't even if they use a different printer

It seems to be the norm in most stores as most use the same system.

I suppose it comes down to costs and like all businses they will try and get things at a low cost, but it don't always work out to be the best.

We also got the normal stuff like word and excel,

But as I said I don't use the computer very often as i only do price control two days a week and even then I only spend less than a hour a day in front of the computer. The other days I am on the back door taking in deliveries. While I still have to use a computer when I do that it is only normally to print out the delivery report and that is a two min job.

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to