Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Oct-12 10:32:37
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
have you used the start screen version of IE? not only don't it support flash, but it is awful, worse than the desktop version of IE if that is possible.

when I am browsing the net, I got other things working in the back ground, like at the moment my computer is rendering some Hd video as i am typing this and wondering on the net.

i tried that on windows 8 and as soon as I went back tot he start menu, i think my video editor stopped rendering, because when i had a look after 10 mins, the rendering had not moved.
Me too. At work I typically have two or even three instances of Visual Studio, a source control system, MS Exchange, some folder windows, Three or four Notepad instances and a couple of Remote Desktop windows. Not just because I can't be bothered to close them but because I'm monitoring them. Having to jump from full screen app to full screen app would be a serious productivity impediment.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 10:38:28
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Um - you pin the applications that you use frequently to the Start Page (in the same way that you pin them to the task bar or dock in other OSs).

As for just typing a program name rather than having to search through a menu or open a command prompt, do a directory listing, change to the directory, run the program - it's a no-brainer to me. That's one of the nice things about the Launchpad in OS X; it's so much quicker than peeing about with menus, command prompts, or file managers.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 10:42:21
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Once you get used to full-screen applications they are just as easy to use as windowed ones. (A bit easier in fact as you have more screen real estate and don't have to worry about overlapping windows hiding things.) This is another of the big improvements that has been made in OS X recently. It is so much easier to flip between full-screen applications that messing with windows.

It's quite refreshing to see that some of the excesses of the WIMP paradigm are now being reigned in. The mouse is not always king.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Oct-12 13:27:51
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Once you get used to full-screen applications they are just as easy to use as windowed ones. (A bit easier in fact as you have more screen real estate and don't have to worry about overlapping windows hiding things.) This is another of the big improvements that has been made in OS X recently. It is so much easier to flip between full-screen applications that messing with windows.
But you can do that with the current Windows GUI if you want - just double click the title bar.

I guess you're one of those who can't multi-task. That's fine for you but I regularly have two or three applications running that I am monitoring. Right now I have Chrome open to compose this reply, I have Notepad open with some notes, I have Visual Studio building something and I'm glancing at a remote desktop to one of our server apps so that I know when it's finished the re-indexing I kicked off. When I'm debugging with VS I certainly don't want the annoyance of the screen flipping back and forth between applications. I also often want to look at the program output while looking at the source or debugger information. The last time I had to flip and back and forth between IDE and application was in the early 90s when I used DOS.

You might only be able to do one thing at once but some of us can do many things at once (or at least do one thing and monitor several others). I fail to see any justification in depriving us of that ability given that nothing was stopping you running applications full screen in the first place.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 24-Oct-12 13:29:51)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 24-Oct-12 14:06:42
Print Post

It seems so simple to me, metro apps run full screen and desktop apps run in windows.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Oct-12 14:41:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It seems so simple to me, metro apps run full screen and desktop apps run in windows.
Yup. In which case I'd like an option never to see Metro. I believe there are a couple of solutions out there though.

Unfortunately long term it's a functionality split in Windows that MS are going to try and get rid off. Perhaps they'll split it into two editions - Windows Metro and Windows Technical? Either way it's not good to know that my way of interacting with Windows is now seen as the poor stepchild frown

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 24-Oct-12 14:57:03
Print Post

There are many many way for you to remain in the past, but Win 8 represents a shift towards unification of the OS over multiple platforms. And Metro represents the future.

In the future, the inferface will be touch rather than mouse, apps will run full screen and navigation will be achieved by gestures. You will be able to move the current session seamlessly between devices.

As a developer you will have access to whatever windows lie behind the scenes, but how many users have ever written any new software? Users access will be limited to the start screen, Metro.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 16:07:14
Print Post

I guess you're one of those who can't multi-task.
I guess you're wrong.

I guess you're one of those who can't get used to something new. wink
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 18:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
have you used the start screen version of IE? not only don't it support flash, but it is awful, worse than the desktop version of IE if that is possible.

when I am browsing the net, I got other things working in the back ground, like at the moment my computer is rendering some Hd video as i am typing this and wondering on the net.

i tried that on windows 8 and as soon as I went back tot he start menu, i think my video editor stopped rendering, because when i had a look after 10 mins, the rendering had not moved.
Me too. At work I typically have two or even three instances of Visual Studio, a source control system, MS Exchange, some folder windows, Three or four Notepad instances and a couple of Remote Desktop windows. Not just because I can't be bothered to close them but because I'm monitoring them. Having to jump from full screen app to full screen app would be a serious productivity impediment.

I am glad i am not the only one.

Take a example of a mate of mine, who runs a midi sequencer at the same time as other audio software and then link them

I know we are not your average Joe, it seems like people just want to use computers to look at facebook and that is it.

i think windows 8 is aimed at School kids.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 18:46:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
There are many many way for you to remain in the past, but Win 8 represents a shift towards unification of the OS over multiple platforms. And Metro represents the future.

Fine if you are going to have windows on every single device. I got no intention of buying a windows phone and i certainly got no intention of buying a tablet full stop never mind a window based one.

Give people the choice to use metro or not, it is not hard.

In the future, the inferface will be touch rather than mouse, apps will run full screen and navigation will be achieved by gestures. You will be able to move the current session seamlessly between devices.

For people who spend all day on facebook, fine, but some of us use our computers for a little bit more.
i can imagine a touch typist using a a touch screen. I am not that fond on using my mobile to do text.

touch screens have their place, but on a fully fledge computer?, a waste of time.

As a developer you will have access to whatever windows lie behind the scenes, but how many users have ever written any new software? Users access will be limited to the start screen, Metro.

I think I will give up computers and the internet, it is as if it is being dumb down.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to