Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Oct-12 21:26:47
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Yeah; my last car had the indicator stalk on the right the current one on the left. It took me all of 10 seconds to get used to the change. (Maybe that explains why I have no problem with Windows 8.) The conversion from British motorbikes to Jap ones was more of a challenge, but I managed not to ruin the gearbox.

Man is an adaptable creature.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Oct-12 21:45:56
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I made a mistake!

Yes I was being pedantic - but if you are going to resort to analogies at least get them right.

So given that we have established some vehicles DO have the ignition key and indicator stalk in different places by the same analogy you are now going to call the car rubbish for moving it around.

Regarding the indicator stalk I may agree with you because the majority of vehicles are the same and there has been an unofficial standard formed out of it, in addition, using the indicator is a frequent task and by swapping it around you would struggle to see any potential benefit.

I'm not going to call a car rubbish for moving the ignition key to a different place though, I can DEAL with that.

But the start button where it is now accommodates for tablet users and is only a slight change for desktop users - it is quite simply not a huge deal, it is used probably <1 times per computing session on average, if that.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Thu 25-Oct-12 21:54:18
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by Danh_Gbwe:
Next few months? support was until 2014...

2014? that surprised me, i presume that is extended support, just security updates only.

Yes.
Mainstream support ended 3 1/2 years ago.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Oct-12 21:57:49
Print Post

I think the point some people are making is WHY move something for the sake of it. Yes, users will get used to new positions but why should they?

I've stuck with IE8 because IE9 moved the position of the "favourites". From top left to top right. Unless I've missed something obvious why was the position altered?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Oct-12 22:21:13
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

It's a compromise, it accommodates touch devices.

I agree that I am not a fan of removal of toolbars from certain things but IE9 is such an improvement over IE8 in many aspects, it frees up screen space for content. As far as I'm aware the favourites button had to be moved as the row of screen space it used to be in has been reclaimed and so the fav icon needed to go on the same part of screenspace as the address bar, hence being on the right.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 23:29:34
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pmb00cs:
...... Windows is used on many corporate systems.....

Most of the companies that I supported are still running XP. The disaster that was Vista has scared them off upgrading to Seven. I've asked around today and not one of them will be upgrading to Eight unless dragged there kicking and screaming.

I suspect that this stance applies to the majority of SME's at least and if that is the case, it doesn't look good for Microsoft. They seem to have developed a habit of making a dog's breakfast of every other release.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 25-Oct-12 23:37:05
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
They seem to have developed a habit of making a dog's breakfast of every other release.
That's nothing new- back in the days of DOS it was usually said that the even-numbered versions were more trouble than they were worth crazy

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 23:39:39
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Except 6.22. wink
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Oct-12 23:42:35
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

I disagree with your reasoning for why companies have not upgraded from Windows XP.

It is more likely due to the fact they are running legacy software which will not work with an OS later than Windows XP, I could name a few government departments who fall into this category.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240147889/HMRC-s...

If they had employed decent developers who made sustainable and upgradable applications then they wouldn't have run into this problem.

Unfortunately lessons aren't getting learnt.

The upgrade from XP to Windows Vista, 7, or 8 is more or less the same as far as most enterprises are concerned - i.e., very difficult. If they are on Vista or 7 then all the legwork is pretty much (or should be) done and the upgrade from a back end perspective should be a piece of cake compared to coming from XP.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Oct-12 00:13:38
Print Post

None of the companies that I have asked, and there's quite a few, run any software that won't run under Vista, 7 or 8. Some tried Vista and reverted back to XP whilst the rest heard about the mess that it was and simply shied away.
I tried pushing a few into into 7 before I finished up but it's outward likeness to Vista, the fear of a meltdown and the perceived necessity to upgrade hardware meant that I was fighting a losing battle except for a few laptops here and there.

I asked about touchscreens as well and most wouldn't entertain them.

Edited by Deadbeat (Fri 26-Oct-12 00:14:49)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to