Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Oct-12 18:06:21
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Whatever! Why not leave it on the left. If it can be on the right it can be on the left.

Do most users type an address as the first thing they do? I doubt it. Most users will use the "Favorites" and as the English speakers/writers read from left to right then left seems to me the more logical place to start.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Oct-12 18:11:24
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Yes, Pinnacle something to 14.

Had at least half-a-dozen bits of software worked via XP and Vista but didn't with W7. Very happy with W7 as had only 2 or 3 BSOD in 3 years. Only had Vista for about 2 months but had quite a few BSOD.

Now O2 standard
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Oct-12 19:59:36
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Whatever! Why not leave it on the left. If it can be on the right it can be on the left.

Do most users type an address as the first thing they do? I doubt it. Most users will use the "Favorites" and as the English speakers/writers read from left to right then left seems to me the more logical place to start.
FYI I almost never use 'favourites' (or bookmarks as Chrome call them). And yes, I mostly use the address bar. I know the first few characters to type and Chrome auto completes. 'bbs' for this forum. 'dig' for Digital Spy forums. 'The' for TheRegister etc.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Oct-12 20:05:47
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Most browsers nowadays supports some sort of Top Sites grid of frequently visited sites. This is what I use most, followed by favourites, and then direct typing of (part of) the URL.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Oct-12 12:04:51
Print Post

People need to read posts properly. Are you one of the "most" I stated. Obviously not. I'm sure "MOST", I repeat, "MOST" browser users will use the "Favourites" option. There are millions of computer users and you are just one that so far doesn't fit the bill. Many more to come I'm sure.

Now O2 standard
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Oct-12 16:41:09
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
People need to read posts properly. Are you one of the "most" I stated. Obviously not. I'm sure "MOST", I repeat, "MOST" browser users will use the "Favourites" option. There are millions of computer users and you are just one that so far doesn't fit the bill. Many more to come I'm sure.
?!? Where did that rant come from?

I'm well aware what most means and I was just giving an example of an alternate way some people operate. I think it's you who needs to be more careful when reading posts. Flying off the handle at some imagined slight is silly.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Oct-12 05:20:36
Print Post

http://xpwasmyidea.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/features-r...

smile

the downgrade list.

also the UI design seems back to windows 95 and win 3.11 days? transparency gone and theming.

Plus on my VM it boots slower than windows 7 and on my laptop there is no visible difference (with SSD).

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 31-Oct-12 05:37:25)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Oct-12 05:26:19
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Um - you pin the applications that you use frequently to the Start Page (in the same way that you pin them to the task bar or dock in other OSs).

As for just typing a program name rather than having to search through a menu or open a command prompt, do a directory listing, change to the directory, run the program - it's a no-brainer to me. That's one of the nice things about the Launchpad in OS X; it's so much quicker than peeing about with menus, command prompts, or file managers.

all those things require more clicks and time than doing the same task on windows 7, why would I pay for an OS that is harder to use than the one I got? On windows 7 I can view the start menu whilst still viewing the foreground app, the start screen on windows 8 takes full screen focus, its backward development focused for mobile devices.

The gui is ugly as well in desktop mode, I tried importing my win7 theme which had unexpected results, seems it no longer supports glowing buttons and gradient colours.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 31-Oct-12 05:56:57)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Oct-12 05:28:55
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I guess you're one of those who can't multi-task.
I guess you're wrong.

I guess you're one of those who can't get used to something new. wink

and you are one of those who thinks if its new it must be better.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Oct-12 05:33:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
There are many many way for you to remain in the past, but Win 8 represents a shift towards unification of the OS over multiple platforms. And Metro represents the future.

In the future, the inferface will be touch rather than mouse, apps will run full screen and navigation will be achieved by gestures. You will be able to move the current session seamlessly between devices.

As a developer you will have access to whatever windows lie behind the scenes, but how many users have ever written any new software? Users access will be limited to the start screen, Metro.

Unification for home user's who get confused and are too simple to learn 2 OS's.

However dont be fooled metro is here to stay, if it doesnt sell well then microsoft will drop it fast like they did windows 7.

Also touch screen will not be a universal input device ever, its simply too inefficient. You forget not everyone uses their device to play, some people use it to work, can you see an office manager ever approving a touch screen device for its office workers to replace keyboards? extremely unlikely. What may eventually replace keyboards is voice input that has potential but not touch screen. Also the mouse I think will stay around as well due to the precision it gives over touch screen, the human finger is too big for precision. Trying to unify the corporate world with kids play toys is going to get messy.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to