Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | [15] | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Oct-12 21:39:18
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
There's loads of guff about the great touchscreen experience but (1) we're touchtyped for 40+ years and (2) most of our activity involves typing. Touch keyboards drive us scatty, and touchscreens are not for us. frown

Then don't buy a touchscreen PC? What does Windows 8 have to do with that?

Oh yes, silly me, because Microsoft have added better touch support people are confusing this with the assumption Windows 8 is built exclusively for touchscreens!

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Oct-12 22:02:54
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I was skeptical about touch screens until I got an iPad. Now I find myself trying to swipe the screen on my main PC. The problem with the iPad is no keyboard - a virtual keyboard just doesn't cut it.

Cue Surface. It may take a while to catch on, but Microsoft have a real winner here. This is where Apple's dominance of the tablet market ends.

But your point is correct. Just because the OS supports a touchscreen doesn't mean one is essential. This is the great thing about Windows 8 (which, paradoxically is what people are complaining about - they just don't get it yet); it works beautifully as a tablet OS or as a PC OS. It's too good for its own good!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-12 19:26:01
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

The surface is fantastic hardware. What I find more amazing though is how good Windows RT is. I was expecting it to be a severely chopped down version of Windows and pretty much locked into Modern UI with exception of office and IE. It really isn't! Command prompt is there, the MMC, control panel, device manager, event viewer, powershell, file manager, remote desktop. File shares? No problem!

It has not lost any of its Windows character at all - which is a big win for me.

Microsoft engineers have done an amazing job at porting this in my opinion to behave in a tablet form, and they haven't cut corners, a LOT of stuff has been ported, anyone who slags it off as a kludge or a hack in my opinion probably doesn't realise what a technical accomplishment it is.

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Nov-12 08:58:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
I was skeptical about touch screens until I got an iPad. Now I find myself trying to swipe the screen on my main PC. The problem with the iPad is no keyboard - a virtual keyboard just doesn't cut it.

I did say a 3 years back I was never going to get a touch screen phone. when i went sim only, I got a cheap and I mean cheap touch screen just to see if i would like it and then eventually got a HTC wildfire with a contract.

Not sure what I will do when contract is up, while touch screen is fine for some things, i do miss a physical keypad.

I certainly would not get a laptop or desktop with a touch screen.

Cue Surface. It may take a while to catch on, but Microsoft have a real winner here. This is where Apple's dominance of the tablet market ends.

i think it already have, but not because of Microsoft, I think MS will find it difficult to get into the tablet market. the tablets that are taking the sales away from Apple are Android based. Mainly because of the price,.

The surface is a bit hit and missed from what I have read.

Myself, I still don't see the point in tablets.

But your point is correct. Just because the OS supports a touchscreen doesn't mean one is essential. This is the great thing about Windows 8 (which, paradoxically is what people are complaining about - they just don't get it yet); it works beautifully as a tablet OS or as a PC OS. It's too good for its own good!

The problem is it don't work beautifully as a PC OS, using the Modern UI with a mouse is awful and a lot of the options that was easy to get and find on windows 7 and below is either pain or not obvious.

Going to town in a bit with a friend to get a laptop, was was going in the week but things got a bit hectic, I know they don't want windows 8, so we will have to see if we can get a decent windows 7 machine for them. If not then they will either do the downgrade to windows 7 or upgrade as they call it or they will use something like classic start.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Nov-12 09:03:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
The surface is fantastic hardware. What I find more amazing though is how good Windows RT is. I was expecting it to be a severely chopped down version of Windows and pretty much locked into Modern UI with exception of office and IE. It really isn't! Command prompt is there, the MMC, control panel, device manager, event viewer, powershell, file manager, remote desktop. File shares? No problem!

It has not lost any of its Windows character at all - which is a big win for me.

Microsoft engineers have done an amazing job at porting this in my opinion to behave in a tablet form, and they haven't cut corners, a LOT of stuff has been ported, anyone who slags it off as a kludge or a hack in my opinion probably doesn't realise what a technical accomplishment it is.

The surface reviews have been a bit hit and miss, some things they find good and then other things like the reliability they don't like.

What is the surface suppose to be, is it a tablet with a limited OS or a full blwn netbook style machine?Even MS don't seem to know,

What is the point in putting a windows based system on a machine which will not run any windows software, why not just stick to the metro UI and run everything from there?

Now the surface pro could be a different kettle of fish as it will be a intel based machine that will be able to run windows software.

i would not pay £300 or more for a machine that is limite,d I would rather spend the money on a laptop that can do everything.

Adrian

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Nov-12 09:22:39
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

i would not pay £300 or more for a machine that is limite,d I would rather spend the money on a laptop that can do everything.
You may not, Adrian, but the success of the iPad shows that there is a huge demand for such machines. And Surface fixes the one big flaw of the iPad - lack of a decent keyboard.

Of course the reviews of the first iteration of a novel device have been a bit hit and miss. So were early reviews of the iPad. It will take a little while for it to come up to speed, and for any bugs to be ironed out, but it is a brilliant concept. (And the ad is cooler than Apple's smug ones too!)
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Nov-12 15:36:43
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Surface RT does not come across as a limited OS... Yes it can't run x86 programs but that's a given. The rest of Windows is there in full glory.

What is the point in putting a windows based system on a machine which will not run any windows software, why not just stick to the metro UI and run everything from there?

Because if they had done that they would have dissapointed people like me who want to use things such as notepad, command prompt, control panel, etc... This is something they should be commended on not criticized on, and as usual, if people don't want to go on the desktop on their Surface RT bar Office Suite, then don't, nobody forces them.

It is refreshing how much more freedom you have with Windows RT as opposed to iOS on an iPad, I can plug in memory sticks and manage files on them, connect to shares on my other PCs/Servers, ping my router, etc..

As an IT professional at work, it makes total sense, how do you ping something on an iPad or perform a traceroute without buying apps? I am not quite sure. With a surface I can do the whole lot, as well as remote desktop into servers or create a RDP session to a domain joined PC... then I can effectively manage everything.

The surface is filling a gap in the market - but I do agree with you, I still do prefer a PC to a laptop or tablet/netbook.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Sat 03-Nov-12 15:55:14)

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 03-Nov-12 23:40:01
Print Post

And Surface fixes the one big flaw of the iPad - lack of a decent keyboard.

You can get lots of keyboards for iPads. Actually, you can use any bluetooth keyboard wth one. It is worth noting that Apple did sell a dock connected keyboard when the iPad was first released, but they dropped it pretty quickly because no one was buying it. They do still offer their small Bluetooth keyboard (can also be used with an iPhone or Mac or PC) as an accessory now and here are several third party Bluetooth keyboard/case offers out there (some for as little as £19). There's one problem; almost no one buys them (probably why they sell for as little as £19) and even when they do I can say that I have only ever seen an iPad being used in conjuction with a keyboard twice. Clearly, among the 100,000,000 iPad owners out there only a vanishingly small number miss a keyboard enough when using a tablet to buy one. Despite this Microsoft think that their hugely over priced surface keyboard is a killer feature for them. Good luck with that. crazy

I suspect that most of that 100,000,000 iPad owners own one because they consider a keyboard something they are happy not to have for the convenience of..... well, not having their tablet turned into a netbook! If they really wanted or needed one they would have bought a netbook running Windows for less money, but the collapse in netbook sales that reflects the surge in tablet sales seems to suggest that people have already spoken with their purses and wallets.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Desmond (Sun 04-Nov-12 00:21:04)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Nov-12 00:14:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Surface RT does not come across as a limited OS... Yes it can't run x86 programs but that's a given. The rest of Windows is there in full glory.

Then it is limited then. a waste of time having the rest of windows or what looks like the rest of windows if you can't run normal software, you may as well go for Linux.

Because if they had done that they would have dissapointed people like me who want to use things such as notepad, command prompt, control panel, etc... This is something they should be commended on not criticized on, and as usual, if people don't want to go on the desktop on their Surface RT bar Office Suite, then don't, nobody forces them.

I still can't see the point, Ms could have out a note pad on the Metro UI. control panel is a waste of time if you got limited control and so is command prompt.

It is refreshing how much more freedom you have with Windows RT as opposed to iOS on an iPad, I can plug in memory sticks and manage files on them, connect to shares on my other PCs/Servers, ping my router, etc..

As an IT professional at work, it makes total sense, how do you ping something on an iPad or perform a traceroute without buying apps? I am not quite sure. With a surface I can do the whole lot, as well as remote desktop into servers or create a RDP session to a domain joined PC... then I can effectively manage everything.

The surface is filling a gap in the market - but I do agree with you, I still do prefer a PC to a laptop or tablet/netbook.

Most people who buy a Ipad, no doubt have no idea what a traceroute is never mind how to do one and I also think most people who will buy something like the Surface will be the same.

MS should stick with what they know best and that is the OS for computers and even then I think they lost the plot. surface is a hybrid and not a very good one at that.
Keyboard may be useful, but it costs extra.

Adrian

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Nov-12 07:13:42
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

You are quite right. I never use a bluetooth keyboard with my iPad. This is not because it wouldn't sometimes be useful but, unlike Surface, they are afterthoughts and don't really integrate smoothly. And the iPad software is so limited that there is not a lot of use for a keyboard.

Time will tell about Surface but, even ignoring the fact that it comes with a version of Office, it should be trivial for software publishers to port anything to Windows RT. The iPad was designed as a fairly restricted tablet; Microsoft have learned from that and designed a decent portable computer that can also be used as a tablet.

But the market will prove who's right; there's little point in trying to second-guess it. Apple, and their fans, are knocking it, and Windows 8, so robustly that I suspect they recognize the threat.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | [15] | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to