Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 05-Nov-12 15:20:10
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

You makes I larf!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Nov-12 16:37:35
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
so it's usable in a business environment - unlike the iPad.

Anyone who thinks that it needs office to be useful or already deployed in huge numbers in business environments is displaying a chronic lack of imagination and knowledge whren it comes what actually goes on in a business environment.
Why would anyone have to use their imagination for what goes on in a business environment. All the business environments I know use Office, especially Word, Excel and Outlook. How can an iPad be used for that?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 05-Nov-12 23:19:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Your imagination really is failing you if you think office environments are using or expecting to use iPads as if they were replacements for PCs. They are not and do not claim to be any such thing. This is where Surface falls over. Only a lunatic would try and use unoptimised Office type apps on a tablet of any sort and that includes Surface without a keyboard since with one it is nothing other than a pathetically speced, badly designed and spectacularly over priced laptop. However, Microsoft think this is Surface's unique selling point. crazy

Incidentally an iPad works perfectly with Exchange and thus with Outlook. Clearly, your knowledge of iPads is about on the same level as your knowledge of business environments or the finer details of string theory. wink laugh

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Nov-12 23:27:24
Print Post

Well, even my iPhone manages to sync with my Exchange server, albeit in a very basic way. But I can't pretend it replaces Outlook. And what about Word and Excel? Do you actually know what these are?

Don't get me started on M-theory wink

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 06-Nov-12 00:11:13
Print Post

I use Word and Excel every day and integrate them into AutoCAD and Revit and NBS and all sorts of other things. Amazingly, an iPad handles that most spectacularly awful of things called AutoCAD with ease. It's great for viewing and explaining things somewhere where you are without access to a 28" screen attached to a PC, but isn't that the point of it? I'd hardly expect to be creating models of a 40,000 sq ft building or writing War and Peace or creating a spreadsheet to explain the US electoral college on an iPad. crazy

Did I say an iPad replaced Outlook? That said, I'm not sure what Outlook in it's widest sense adds for me when I want a one handed device most of all. Incidentally, I manage an Exchange server so I think I know the advantages and limitations of this ecosystem and Exchange/Outlook is a very limited, proprietory system. Frankly, it's pathetic when it comes to interfacing with mobile environments (not kust Apple here, but Android and Blackberry - remember them?), but isn't that Microsoft's problem? I'm not sure trying to tie everone to a badly conceived pseudo tablet ecosystem is the solution of choice for anyone other than a very lazy Microsoft.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 06-Nov-12 08:28:08
Print Post

Ah, so an iPad makes a good wireless photo frame. Just what you need in a business environment. Obviously you still need a PC to create those pictures, spreadsheets and documents. You can use it to send the odd email though, as a bonus.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 07-Nov-12 06:51:36
Print Post

Repeatedly reinforcing yourlack of knowledge and imagination really isn't helpng your cause.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Nov-12 09:30:38
Print Post

It takes a lot of imagination, maybe too much, to come up with a sensible idea for using a consumer device in a business environment. I recall some hospital consultants attempting to use iPods to store their notes. I'm not sure how many deaths occurred as a result.

The fact remains that there are cheaper wireless photo frames available.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 07-Nov-12 22:41:42
Print Post

Still displaying that chronic knowledge and imagination defecit when it comes to business environments.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Nov-12 22:51:59
Print Post

If you say it three times, it still isn't true. You appear unable to move the discussion along. Use your imagination.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to