Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Oct-12 17:01:21
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I have been running Windows 8 RTM in upgrade form on my main computer for 2 months now. Simply put, it is better than Windows 7. I have had not a single problem with it that I wasn't having with Windows 7 (i.e., no problems with it).

The only difference one really needs to be concerned about is the change of the start menu - once you look beyond that, if you were to not use any of the new features, the only difference would be the fact that Windows 8 is faster "at the core" than Windows 7, which I am sure you can put up with wink

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Oct-12 18:52:48
Print Post

Personally, I'd go with Windows 8. I've had it installed since the RTM dropped and apart from the slightly suspect new UI, performance and reliability have been noticeably enhanced. There's some nice little tweaks which include Windows Updates no longer forcing the computer to shutdown in the middle of the day, baked-in antivirus and faster bootup and shutdowns.

Edited by Kiggs (Mon 22-Oct-12 18:52:59)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Oct-12 21:28:28
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DavidFinbarr:
I didn't like Win8 either, seemed for designed for a touchsreen.

I would stick with Win7, still another 7 1/2 years of updates, so no worries there.

That is true, but then windows XP will not have any updates in the next few months and I know a few people who still uses Xp and got no intention of changing for another couple of years.

i will stay with 7 until I can save enough for a Apple Mac and then decide what I am going to do when I got the money.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Oct-12 21:35:49
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

If you don't like what's happening to Windows you certainly won't like what's happening to OS X.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 22-Oct-12 22:46:22
Print Post

Windows 8 is a dogs breakfast that the even the dog vomited straight back up. I've tried all the beta iterations and I'll not be polluting any of my PCs with it. How Microsoft can be as consistent in serially getting things so fundamentally wrong really beggars belief. In this instance they have decided that desktop and tablet are the same thing.... WRONG! They really are fundamentally different on a whole load of levels and all Microsoft have done is create a system that users - particularly business users - will avoid like a bad case of herpes. In my experience, likening it to ME or Vista really doesn't begin to do it justice.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Oct-12 00:02:04
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
Windows 8 is a dogs breakfast that the even the dog vomited straight back up. I've tried all the beta iterations and I'll not be polluting any of my PCs with it. How Microsoft can be as consistent in serially getting things so fundamentally wrong really beggars belief. In this instance they have decided that desktop and tablet are the same thing.... WRONG! They really are fundamentally different on a whole load of levels and all Microsoft have done is create a system that users - particularly business users - will avoid like a bad case of herpes. In my experience, likening it to ME or Vista really doesn't begin to do it justice.

I see - I don't suppose you have any reason why it is as bad as you say it is? Or are your comments based entirely upon the fact the start "menu" has changed? I am particularly interested with business users would avoid it, is it again just because their beloved start menu has been removed?

Nobody forces you to use any part of the "Modern UI" bit of it other than the start screen, the rest you can do on the desktop or in the places you would normally find them.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Oct-12 00:06:37
Print Post

Can you actually tell us what is so bad about Windows 8 compared to Windows 7?

Probably just the start screen again is it? So instead of lumping a new start screen you would rather move OS to something totally different (and rubbish) instead? Interesting!

I'm sorry Adrian but to put it bluntly you haven't actually given a proper reason as to why Windows 8 is so bad, I know you are passionate about your privacy etc (as am I) but surely on that ground you would praise Microsoft for allowing you to use Windows without a live ID!

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 23-Oct-12 00:10:05)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Oct-12 07:14:28
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
If you don't like what's happening to Windows you certainly won't like what's happening to OS X.

It looks the same to me as any older version of OS x, still got the same look. i know there are some more integration of Icloud and apps, but you don't have to link to it and you don't have to have a account as far as i know.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Oct-12 07:24:10
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Can you actually tell us what is so bad about Windows 8 compared to Windows 7?

Probably just the start screen again is it? So instead of lumping a new start screen you would rather move OS to something totally different (and rubbish) instead? Interesting!

OS X is not rubbish, it is a pretty good OS, I use it a lot when I am at a friends place and she swears by it, but then she have a 5 apples so she would.

The start screen have put me off I must admit, it looks like something been designed by fisher price. things that was just a click away on windows 7 is now more than a click away.
when I start a computer I want it to start in the place where I am going to work, I am not going to work on the start screen, i will be working on a desktop.

Even apple is not that stupid they are going to change the whole Os and make it completely different on start up.

I'm sorry Adrian but to put it bluntly you haven't actually given a proper reason as to why Windows 8 is so bad, I know you are passionate about your privacy etc (as am I) but surely on that ground you would praise Microsoft for allowing you to use Windows without a live ID!

Ms did not really have much of a choice but to allow people to use windows without a live ID, can you imagine what would have happened if they did not? anyway, no point in a live Id if the computer is not on the net.

Windows 8 does seems to be fluid and smooth and run faster, I am not denying that, but once you get a load of software on it, then it is no difference.
you either like a Os or you don't, I did not like vista, yet apart from a few problems I liked windows ME, but went back to 98 as ME was too unstable.

Oh yes, I also don't like the ribbon in windows 8.

Adrian

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Oct-12 07:52:03
Print Post

It not what it looks like that matters, Adrian. Apple are control freaks and are moving more and more to lock down your computer so that you can only do what they want you to. Very soon now I can see OS X following the iOS model where you can only install software from the App Store. They are already half-way there.

There are also privacy concerns with Apple, IMO, every bit as bad as Google. Moving from Microsoft to Apple would be out of the frying pan into the fire. A move to open-source software would fit far better with your concerns.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to