Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 24-Oct-12 23:23:10
Print Post

Re: Win7 or Win8

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

Why love the start menu or Aero? There is nothing wrong with disposing of them for something demonstrably better.

There is, however, something wrong with getting rid of them for something worse... or worse still for 2, 3 or more things that are all worse.

If anyone has a Metro interface that looks in the slightest like Microsoft's graphically rich promotional stuff I have yet to see it. To me it only ever looks and behaves like a ridiculous waste of screen acreage and text that requires I scroll endlessly right to find what I want. In my experience a 1080 screen in Metro has about as many options on it as an iPhone 4's 3.5" screen. This is, of course, completely absurd.

We must, incidentally, stop calling it 'Metro' because Microsoft ballsed up even naming it and now say it is and always was 'modern UI' - yeah right.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Oct-12 23:29:17
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Completely agree, tried it for a few days in advance of a new PC build, no thanks!

The Start menu can be brought back (I like it) but using other tweaks StartMenu8, Pokki for Windows 8, Classic Shell, Start8 from StarDock.

I just want the operating system installed without adding stuff to it the way I want it without addons, which will no doubt come with updates!

Regards,

Ben

Edited by benbird7 (Wed 24-Oct-12 23:37:58)

Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Oct-12 23:50:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I know a landscape architect who thought it'd be nice to have a touch screen PC. He hated it, greasy finger prints all over it, not to mention the annoyance of moving your hand around a large monitor.

You've said it, Metro is the future for touchscreen devices. But not PC's with a keyboard and mouse, which I like.

After the previous Nokia devices owned, and the fact I've converted to android for my mobile platform and Samsung for my hardware. Any Nokia coupled with windows is not welcome in my pocket.

Ben

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 23:59:27
Print Post

Moving your mouse into one of the RHS corners, selecting power, and then shut down, is no bigger challenge than pressing Start > Shut Down!

That is an exceptionally poor reason as to why the OS is rubbish, when you buy a new car do you complain that the buttons are not in exactly the same place as they was before?

If it was mindless moving of things about fair enough - but in this instance I can forgive them for the move.

Oh, btw I was using OSX Lion the other day and the shutdown button wasn't in plain sight on that either, and that dock is a shocking waste of screen space - rubbish OS!

Vista was not as bad as people make out - I'm not going to deny some things were mistakes but a lot of performance issues were down to 3rd party apps being installed on it.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 01:58:17
Print Post

If, & that's a big IF, they had something better than the start menu, then maybe I'd give it a go.
Aero, some love it, some hate it. I love it & all my machine run it. As I'm not a gamer, I can take the slight proformance hit you get with Aero.
To me, Metro is something the cat brought in, & yes, I did try it, but only on a spare 32bit computer.
Not that I like or intend to get a touch screen tablet, (I've seen the messy finger marks on my son's screen). It wouldn't run Metro (to hell with their new name), it would be running Android & most likely be a Samsung, & the same with a smartphone.

plusnet Extra
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn
Standard User Danh_Gbwe
(newbie) Thu 25-Oct-12 04:09:53
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by DavidFinbarr:
I didn't like Win8 either, seemed for designed for a touchsreen.

I would stick with Win7, still another 7 1/2 years of updates, so no worries there.

That is true, but then windows XP will not have any updates in the next few months and I know a few people who still uses Xp and got no intention of changing for another couple of years.

i will stay with 7 until I can save enough for a Apple Mac and then decide what I am going to do when I got the money.

Next few months? support was until 2014...
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Thu 25-Oct-12 07:21:25
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

The fact that you are now reduced to criticising OS X Lion for having a shut down menu item in the same place since OS X was first released (and still is in Mountain Lion) or havng an easily hideable dock taking up screen space when the thread is about comparing Windows 7 to 8 goes to show that you have nothing poisitive to say about WIndows 8 at all.

As I have said; time will tell. Personally, I expect Mr Balmer to be speding more time with his family before Easter. laugh

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Desmond (Thu 25-Oct-12 07:44:06)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 12:54:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I am about to order a new laptop - I already know which one. The question is:

Shall I order it with Win7 or Win8 ? Has anyone downloaded the Beta versions of Win8 and actually tried it out?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/25/reg_kb_survi...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 12:57:02
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
i think windows 8 is aimed at School kids.
Get 'em while they're young laugh

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 13:00:40
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Your basic error is to assume that you can't do more than one thing at a time with full-screen applications. You can (that's one of the lessons that Apple has learnt), and you can do it much more efficiently than you can with windows. It does take a little practice to get into the swing of things, and you have to open your mind to new concepts, but it works just fine. People don't realize just how much the WIMP paradigm damages productivity.
How does being able to look at a functional specification while stepping through source code, watching the client application 'perform' and noting server responses damage productivity? I can do all that just by pressing [F10] or [F11] - my dual monitor setup lets me keep an eye on all those things at the same time.

My objection isn't with your idea that full screen is the best way to go. It has nothing to do with not being able to adapt to 'something new'. This isn't new. I can work full screen right now if I want. I often do when I have a lengthy session with a remote computer. What I'm objecting to is having functionality that I need removed from the OS. And, yes, I do struggle when someone takes functionality away from me for no good reason.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 25-Oct-12 13:02:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to