Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Mar-13 18:27:36
Print Post

Re: Windows Choice: XP Home or Windows 7 Pro 32 bit or 64 b

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Yes!! I am using it on my desktop at home, my desktop at work - so that's 12 hours a day on it at least. I have it on all my laptops, I have it on my surface (obviously), I have upgraded all the computers in the house to Windows 8. I must have upgraded over 10 friends/family computers to Windows 8 in addition.

I've made the cases for why I like it so much on here a couple of times, I've got a bit bored repeating it now but to name a few things

-It is faster and more efficient, and better on system resources.
-It is more stable/robust
-It has more functionality
-It works on more modern hardware
-It is more secure
-It has better multi-monitor support
-RDP is vastly improved

The negatives..

-Start screen possibly? I tend to only spend <1% of my time looking for programs to launch, not sure about others... so I don't see what the big problem is here. If you're a power user you start typing to search to open a program anyway.
-Modern UI (not a valid reason, just ignore it if it is a problem - you're not forced to use it other than the start screen)
-Can't think of anymore

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 26-Mar-13 18:34:13)

Standard User Sark
(legend) Tue 26-Mar-13 18:31:19
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

There can be no dispute that Win 8 is technically superior to Win 7. However, I think the biggest argument against Win 8 is that it has a shiny new UI but still a dearth of high quality applications! The new start menu is fine on desktops even though it does take some getting used to. But until the ecosystem is much more mature people will just be put off by having to learn something new to do the same things they always did. It's ironic because Microsoft in the past have gone to great lengths to ensure there was already an ecosystem in place before releasing the O/S or other products. It's the number one reason they were able to take over the world. Ballmer is no Gates.

John.
Standard User philippercival
(experienced) Wed 27-Mar-13 00:01:33
Print Post

[re: normcall] [link to this post]

Edit

Sorry should have ready to the end of messages, I was repeating virtual machine comments.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143  Dec  125  Jan  77  Feb  174
Max Day  19

Edited by philippercival (Wed 27-Mar-13 00:06:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnb2008
(learned) Wed 27-Mar-13 00:34:06
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

I upgraded my 5 year old Vista Home Premium 32bit laptop to W8 Pro, via the cheap upgrade option before it went to full price. I went 64 bit first, but found it a bit unstable , so I reinstalled it as 32 bit. It seems better now, but not perfect. I cannot get W8 versions of some drivers. I got an SSD too, so startup and shutdown times are quite quick now (startup around 20s). I find it a huge improvement in almost every way.

HOWEVER, I also purchased Stardock's 'Start8', which I strongly recommend. My laptop now boots straight into the desktop screen. I never see (or use!) the Metro screen and I now have an XP/Vista/W7 style start menu too. It is worth every penny of $5.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Mar-13 02:06:38
Print Post

[re: johnb2008] [link to this post]

Me too but I plumped for the free Classic Shell for W8 Pro and got another licence for my other machine while W8 was cheap. Classic Shell also offers the choice of Win 98, WinXP or Win 7 skins for the start menu and boots to desktop too with tons of tweakable options, perhaps too many which is why you can also select basic options mode.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to