Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Sep-13 09:01:47
Print Post

Re: Win7 or 8 new OS

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
IE11 which in turn can play netflix without silverlight
Presumably this applies to other sites which need Silverlight too (such as Eurosport Player)? I see there is a preview version of IE11 for W7. Is the same true of this and is it worth installing on my W7 nettop which I use for media playing?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Sep-13 10:20:15
Print Post

[re: Zodiac] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zodiac:
Just can not get used to it and not sure about firewalls etc if i did any online banking,shopping.

Most Linux Distros got some sort of firewall, but you can always get others, even AVG have one out. viruses are not a big problem with Linux, it don't mean there are no problems, but no where near the problem that we have with windows.

I prefer to access my bank and to my online shopping using Linux than windows. you are not going to get used to it if you don't use it.

I know some things in Linux can get annoying, trying to sort out my graphic drivers for a start. If I could get all the software I needed on the Linux platform, then this computer would be Linux 100%.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Wed 11-Sep-13 11:57:39
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Totally agree, I got my copy of 8 when they were virtually giving it away £15 if I remember right, put it on my laptop and hated the GUI straight away, definitely a leap backwards, I have been using Windows since it first came out, and it has come on by leaps and bounds right up to Win 7 which I would recommend to anyone using a desktop or non-touch screen laptop. I'm now trying out Linux Mint on my laptop and even that looks better than Win 8's desktop mode smile

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zodiac
(committed) Wed 11-Sep-13 14:30:17
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

Well i have had good replies which i am taking onboard and 99% certain i will go with win7.
Just the 1% to go.

----------------------

If you go out to play keep away from that "MAINE ROAD".
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 11-Sep-13 16:30:25
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I didnt know was a preview of IE11 for win7, it should be the same but it depends if the required codecs get installed or not.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Sep-13 21:19:08
Print Post

Why put an old OS on? Windows 8 is just Windows 7 but better. "Metro" takes about 10 minutes of getting used to, and that is only if you open metro apps anyway. 10 minutes of your time is probably <0.1% of the total time you will spend on the PC.

I just don't get the negativity, oh well. Maybe people who can't get to grips with Windows 8 just can't get to grips with anything new period.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Wed 11-Sep-13 21:20:19)

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Thu 12-Sep-13 00:29:33
Print Post

I'm one of those 'if it aint broke, why fix it' people - especially if I have something that works well for me.

I had XP Pro for a long time, and was worried when a new computer spec had W7 Pro. The company building it assured me that I'd find it better, and true enough, though virtually dragged kicking against it, I loved it within a very short time.
Had it two years now, and also had it installed on a new notebook recently.

When I do see something new that I think is better than what we already have, then I will embrace the new.
I have seen W8 but have no current wish to exchange my W7 for it.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 12-Sep-13 07:26:30
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Why put an old OS on? Windows 8 is just Windows 7 but better. "Metro" takes about 10 minutes of getting used to, and that is only if you open metro apps anyway. 10 minutes of your time is probably <0.1% of the total time you will spend on the PC.

I just don't get the negativity, oh well. Maybe people who can't get to grips with Windows 8 just can't get to grips with anything new period.

if its just the same but better why cant these people "get to grips" with it?

I can get used to metro, thats not the issue, metro is slower and less efficient to use, getting used to something doesnt make it good. Of course noone 'has' to use metro, its a 2nd interface on top of the desktop with its own seperate apps. But the desktop isnt the same as windows 7 there is various changes that fans of windows 8 pretend dont exist.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User Zodiac
(committed) Thu 12-Sep-13 11:57:39
Print Post

But thats why i am undecided at present because new is not always better.I cant be sure that i would like win7 over XP but just looking for opionions first.

----------------------

If you go out to play keep away from that "MAINE ROAD".
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Sep-13 16:08:57
Print Post

Let us all face backwards as we drive because that is safer. It'll only take a few minutes to get used to as the percentage of time will be negligble to the total amount we drive.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to