Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 15:21:19
Print Post

Re: Window 8.1

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

I've just got a new 8.1 PC &, when I was setting it up, it gave me the option of whether I wanted Skydrive or not (it SPECIALLY stated that it could be removed later). On the basis of being able to remove it, I accepted it!

It now appears that I was misled & that you cannot remove it!! It now appears I have to re-load Win 8.1 from scratch again! Not bad having to re-build a PC only 48hrs after initial install!

Regards,
John

NB:- I've already suffered from "losing" a document because of SkyDrive - I thought I'd saved it to "Documents", but it transpires that there is both a Skydrive "Documents" & a PC "Documents". Even though I have sorted this out & made Word (et al) default to the proper "Documents", it still seems to try to want to force me into Skydrive, which I don't want!

Regards,
John
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 15:37:31
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

A disappointing oversight from Microsoft indeed - unfortunately 99% of people are happy putting data in the cloud for the UK and US government to snoop on it. They should know better.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 16:03:46
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
A disappointing oversight from Microsoft indeed - unfortunately 99% of people are happy putting data in the cloud for the UK and US government to snoop on it. They should know better.

Agreed.

I already have my own Cloud provision, where I save everything to, hence I really do NOT need another & conflicting location!

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 16:08:10
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I've got rid of my Dropbox account last month... Google & Skydrive aren't used much and I'll make sure all the files uploaded are encrypted...

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Nov-13 09:23:58
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

You can get rid of it, you the simplest way is just to put your computer as a local account. the problem is that if you want to use sky drive as it used to be on windows 8 or 7 even, then you can't as the app will not work.

I have still not updated my windows 8 to 8.1.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 16-Nov-13 21:42:01
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

I'll make sure all the files uploaded are encrypted...

You really think you are that interesting?

Tragic!

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Nov-13 20:09:19
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Bit disparaging! No one is THAT interesting including yourself.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Oscar2013
(newbie) Fri 22-Nov-13 11:05:11
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

I've been using Win 8 (10 months) on a laptop and 8.1 (about 3 months) on a 4 year old desktop. I have to say from a performance point of view both machine are quicker. I'm not that fussed about the tiles though smile One thought I did have, from Microsoft point of view are they hindering sales of PC's if Windows users may put off upgrading their machines because their machine are getting an extended lease of life? Or is this just my experience?

For cloud backup / sync encryption I use Spideroak, downside is only 2Gb free then paid after that, but that is enough for me.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 27-Nov-13 09:03:38
Print Post

[re: Oscar2013] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oscar2013:
One thought I did have, from Microsoft point of view are they hindering sales of PC's if Windows users may put off upgrading their machines because their machine are getting an extended lease of life? Or is this just my experience?

Windows 8 is hindering sales by keeping people on XP/Vista/7

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-13 13:12:01
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

And what is wrong with that ? There is no real advantage in upgrading, aside from some flashy rectangles...

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to