Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-13 13:23:38
Print Post

Re: Window 8.1

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Well, there is a much improved task manager, gesture-based login, file history, native support for advanced format disks, greatly improved search,.... Just a small selection of the many improvements since Windows 7. As for since Windows XP - you'd have to be pretty blind not to see the improvements in newer versions of Windows, including some really huge ones like Hyper-V (or, indeed, proper support for multiple cores and 64-bit processors).
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 01:30:37
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

oh yes - a nice flashy Task Manager that has a few new tabs. Whooopppee!

That is worth the price of Windows 8 alone.

Really, it is.

No, really

And the background colour when you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE. My, that blue is soooo nice. A blue's blue, if you will. That blue is almost worth the price of Windows alone.

Then there is the boot-up screen. That is... boring....

But the shutdown screen is great! That blue; that blue's blue; that is the blue of true progress.

The animation is nice too.

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Thu 28-Nov-13 01:38:54)

Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Thu 28-Nov-13 06:50:45
Print Post

Best you stay where you are then son if you are happy with what you have. But in my opinion I really enjoy Win 8.1 it is a very clever OS and there are some very innovative changes under the hood and incidentally if you don't like the tiles then don't use them 8.1 boots direct to the desktop,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 06:57:04
Print Post

You seem very hung up on superficialities rather than the real improvements under the hood. Fair enough. Many people still think that Windows 95 was the best version of Windows.
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 07:38:04
Print Post

[re: pcologist] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcologist:
Best you stay where you are then son if you are happy with what you have. But in my opinion I really enjoy Win 8.1 it is a very clever OS and there are some very innovative changes under the hood and incidentally if you don't like the tiles then don't use them 8.1 boots direct to the desktop,

On my new 8.1 it certainly boots faster (et al), although that may be because I've got a faster PC, but I'm still struggling with the interface!

I've got it so it boots into the Desktop, but hitting the "Start-Button" takes me to a massive "Apps" screen with lots of things that I don't want to see (e.g. if I want to uninstall a program I'll use Control Panel, I don't need it to be prominent on this screen) - hence I have to scroll across to find what I want!.

I can get the option to "Customise" but this seems to only gives me the option to "Pin-to-desktop".

I'm trying to avoid putting in 3rd Party Add-ons, but I think I might be tempted by a proper "Start-Menu" App! wink

Regards,
John
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 07:47:10
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

It works a bit like the OS X launcher now. When you have the screen of applications just start typing the name of the one you want and it will hone in on it. It works very well once you are used to it (providing that you know what the application is called) and can be much quicker than the monolithic "All Prorams" menu interface.

The good thing with Windows is that if you can't get used to that way of working you can easily change it - would that the same were true for OS X.

Search is one of the big impRovements since Windows 7. It's not immediately obvious, but the Windows 8 search facilities are much better than previous versions. Unfortunately, many people seem to be hung up on appearance rather than function.
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 08:48:47
Print Post

Many thanks for your advice - although your references to "OS X Launcher" go straight over my head (I assume that has something to do with Apple's incarnations, which I have NO knowledge of)!

Thanks, specifically, about the Apps-Page Search facility - I wasn't aware of that because there is NOT an obvious Search-Box (it only appears once you start typing)!

I would certainly put myself into the category of "Don't like the appearance", its harsh & garish, but I can live with that! Although if someone can tell me how to stop the border-colour of my Progs from changing (apparently because the desktop picture changes), I would appreciate the advice. If I want to view a changing colour background I'll look at the Desktop - within a Prog it is distinctly distracting!

It appears to me that the "Tile-Concept" (& a lot of the aspects underlying Win8.1) is geared towards some form of a Media-based "Playstation" - not for a serious/practical Home/Office Computer.

Probably because I am used to previous Windows, I don't find the new arrangement intuitive (the lack of an obvious Search-Box, on the Apps-Page, is an example of this)..

I seem to be spending a lot of time trying to figure things that I took for granted on previous incarnations &, other that "change for change sake", I can't understand why things are so much harder/obscure! Because of that my effective usage speed is considerably reduced.

An example:-
Under previous Windows, I've always used the Task-Bar to monitor/switch etc (which I find simple) whislt, under Win8.1, some (not all - hence it is inconsistent) obliterate the Task-bar, without providing a practical alternative. I'm left using the very old-fashioned Alt-Tab to switch between Progs (or "Apps" as we are apparently required to call them). Also the non-intuitive grab/drag/wait to shut down a prog!

I've tried looking for a decent Book, on Win8.1, that will give me the information on how I need to do something, in a way that I understand & am comfortable with, but they all seem to NOT cover a specific question that I'm looking for, but simply want to emphasise how to do things Microsoft's way (as a Media Centre)!

Regards,
John
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Nov-13 11:39:59
Print Post

That's the issue, knowing what the programme is called. There should be an option to have "Classic Menu" or something similar.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 11:50:36
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

It's not exactly difficult to restore a classic Start Menu if that's what you want. Personally, I pin frequently used icons to the Desktop (mostly in folders) or Task Bar and I don't find it too difficult to vaguley remember what other programs are called. (You don't need to remember the exact name - if I want to find one of the three Prolog installation in my Windows 8 I just type "prolog"; I don't have to remember that they are called "Visual Prolog", "Strawberry Prolog", and "SWI Prolog".

As I said, that's the way it works in OS X and people seem to have managed with that for long enough.

Edited by AEP (Thu 28-Nov-13 12:03:06)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 12:04:20
Print Post

You're just sounding silly.

There are hundreds of improvements over Windows 7 (I could probably actually list a 100, if I could be bothered!) but you are just getting hung up on the fact the start menu has disappeared.

Check here though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8

You need to deal with the fact the beloved start menu has gone - you can't have so many applications you are using anyway that can't be fit onto the first page of the start screen, and if you were a true power user you'd actually be typing in the applications you want to launch - which is even less steps in Windows 8 than it was in 7.

I spend <0.1% of the time on the PC actually using the start menu or start screen anyway, so why get so upset about it changing? It is ridiculous.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to