Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 12:06:39
Print Post

Re: Window 8.1

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

If you don't know what it is called how can you open it anyway? (OK I'll admit that is a bit flippant -- but If you right click and go "all apps" they are put into the categories like they were in the start menu anyway, no change!)

Next!

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Nov-13 13:59:21
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Why do so many people complain about the lack of things and changes if the OS is so good? Change for change sake is not always a good thing.

Just because Pipexer and AEP love 8.1 doesn't negate the fact that many users hate the system but have to use it.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 15:53:11
Print Post

No-one has to use Windows 8. There are plenty of alternatives. Use whatever suits you. But it does seem a bit silly to pick Windows 8 and then keep complaining about it.

Try OS X; try Linux (it's free!) or FreeBSD; stick with Windows 7. It seems perverse to use something you don't like.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 17:07:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
No-one has to use Windows 8. There are plenty of alternatives. Use whatever suits you. But it does seem a bit silly to pick Windows 8 and then keep complaining about it.

Try OS X; try Linux (it's free!) or FreeBSD; stick with Windows 7. It seems perverse to use something you don't like.

2 things:-

a) Until you try it, you don't know! Obviously you have to take time to try it out & it is not always simple to revert back!

b) If you are buying a new PC/Laptop, sometimes you don't get a choice!

Regards,
John
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 17:11:27
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

(a) that's why God invented Virtual Machines (ang imageing software).

(b) I've only once bought a PC with a pre-installed OS. I've changed it a few times - each time I image the hard disk so that I can revert if necessary (it never has been necessary).
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 17:48:22
Print Post

Most of the changes in Windows 8 result in less mouse movement, clicks, and less steps needed to do tasks. This is a good thing, please provide some evidence contrary to this rather than something anecdotal.

Zen 8000 Pro
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 20:27:37
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Most of the changes in Windows 8 result in less mouse movement, clicks, and less steps needed to do tasks. This is a good thing, please provide some evidence contrary to this rather than something anecdotal.

As I've already stated in another post, just trying to close a program seems non-intuitive & harder!

Obviously it depends on the program (some still have the "old-fashioned" arrangement of a an "X" in the top right hand corner) but to grab/drag/hold (until the shrunken program reverses) seems harder than a simple click!!

The Apps page doesn't allow me (or to be more precise, I haven't found a way of doing it) to edit it so only the relevant Apps display - this means I'm invariably having to scroll to look for my App (***).

The fact that some programs "obliterate" the Task-Bar means that I'm no longer able to simply click between Programs, but I have to do the Alt-Tab approach!

The other thing that is non-intuitive but, until I managed to kill it dead, when I tried to save a document to "My Documents" (as I had set in the default) it tried to save it to a "Documents" directory on the Skydrive - "losing" my document!

(***)
Thanks to AEP for pointing out that there is a "hidden" facility for searching for the App - I say hidden because, yet again, it is NOT intuitive that I would start typing into "thin-air" (as there is NOT a Search-Box present) & a Search-Box will magically appear!

Regards,
John
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 20:38:00
Print Post

TBH, I don't really think that any aspects of any OS are intuitive, although some are the same as in systems that we are already used to. Everything that I know about Windows 8 I discovered by reading articles online, and a little experimentation. I'm sure there is much that I have yet to discover.

I have the same experience with OS X Mavericks and Android 4.4 - so many new things to learn all at once. How exciting!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 20:42:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
Obviously it depends on the program (some still have the "old-fashioned" arrangement of a an "X" in the top right hand corner) but to grab/drag/hold (until the shrunken program reverses) seems harder than a simple click!!

Er yes because there is a difference between desktop apps and Modern UI apps!
The Apps page doesn't allow me (or to be more precise, I haven't found a way of doing it) to edit it so only the relevant Apps display - this means I'm invariably having to scroll to look for my App (***).

right click > unpin
click > drag the app around???
If you're on about the "All Apps" bit - if its frequently used, pin it to the main start screen!
The fact that some programs "obliterate" the Task-Bar means that I'm no longer able to simply click between Programs, but I have to do the Alt-Tab approach!

Then don't open the Modern UI apps! Nobody is forcing you to use them, they wern't there in Windows 7. Windows 8 does not force you to use any full screen apps!!

You have got to remember that these full screen apps are an offering, and you aren't forced to use any of them, they are a different experience and mainly designed at touchscreen and handheld devices. Don't confuse that with the OS, it's just those Apps. Windows 8 gives you a choice that is fully integrated with one another and fully maintains backwards-compatibility.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Thu 28-Nov-13 20:44:56)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 20:53:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
TBH, I don't really think that any aspects of any OS are intuitive, although some are the same as in systems that we are already used to. Everything that I know about Windows 8 I discovered by reading articles online, and a little experimentation. I'm sure there is much that I have yet to discover.

I have the same experience with OS X Mavericks and Android 4.4 - so many new things to learn all at once. How exciting!

OK, I'm glad you accept that aspect of my point!

Whilst I quite enjoy learning new things, that has to be "within-limits" as I have lots of other things to do - making me learn something different (with no obvious advantage/justification other than "its different") seems a frustrating & pointless exercise!

However, Pipexer was specifically suggesting that everything was easier/simpler requiring less clicks (or whatever) - I was just highlighting specific examples where it wasn't easier/simpler (aggravated by the fact that it is non-intuitive).

I've been using PCs since pre-windows days (including a stab at the ill-fated Windows 1), but I would suggest that this has been the hardest ever Windows to get to grips with!

I certainly don't recall a previous version where I've got so frustrated that I've been so ready to dump it & go back to an earlier version!

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to