Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Nov-13 20:17:10
Print Post

Re: Window 8.1

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Yes. I think we've agreed that most people choose Windows computers - Windows 8.1 nowadays - in preference to anything else. I don't believe the average man in the street gives a damn whether it's Windows 95, XP, Vista, 7, or 8. He just wants to know that he is buying the latest computer and the latest software; and he is, rightly, more than happy with that.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Nov-13 20:20:39
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
You think it just takes "a bit of an update" to support multiple cores and large amounts of RAM? What about proper IP support, multimedia, modern graphics cards, SATA hard drives, SSDs, etc.? Just "a bit of an update" needed, I suppose.

Ah, yeah, I forgot about them. smile

but you know what I am getting at, windows 98Se was fast on my old 500Mhz machine, so it would certainly be fast on new technology. I should try it in a virtual machine.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Nov-13 20:22:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
Yes. I think we've agreed that most people choose Windows computers - Windows 8.1 nowadays - in preference to anything else. I don't believe the average man in the street gives a damn whether it's Windows 95, XP, Vista, 7, or 8. He just wants to know that he is buying the latest computer and the latest software; and he is, rightly, more than happy with that.

Most people seems to be buying Tablets these days, not computers as such, yeah I know a tablet is a computer.

I still don't see what is so great about the things. i prefer a maachine with reall power, something a tablet don't have, or most laptops for that matter.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Nov-13 20:26:44
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Adrian seriously that makes absolutely no sense, you are forgetting the tens of millions of lines of code that go into keeping an OS current and exploit modern hardware. If you put Windows 9x against Windows 8 on a modern PC (and somehow managed to get it to run) Windows 8 would wipe the floor with it in every sort of technical simulation you could do, even clicking the mouse around, Windows Vista/7/8 (8 especially - major under the hood improvements) is considerably smarter and quicker. It would be like me saying "I wish Windows could boot up as quick as the climate control panel on my car comes on when I turn the ignition key"..

Windows 8 is so smart even if you click faster than the <1 second Window animations (i.e., minimize and maximise), it still processes the click on what the end result would be after the animation had completed, just in case the user is truly powering through tasks. Try it, if you can even move the mouse that quick. You don't get that on OSX (no really, you don't). Therefore, Windows 98SE can't even beat it in that regard. Not only that, you can still even disable those Window animations too!

You probably underestimate how proud Microsoft developers are of their Desktop GUI and how seriously they take it.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Fri 29-Nov-13 20:36:45)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Nov-13 20:41:37
Print Post

The truth is that I don't know what you mean. For starters you can't get those old versions of Windows to run on modern machines. And the average things that you do on a computer just crawled on old computers. You are making no allowance for the fact that you do so much more on a modern computer. Real-time virus checking - no, you didn't do that on Windows 98. Web pages - simple text with a few crude images; none of the multi-media animations, multiple frames, etc. that you take for granted nowadays. Want to try viewing a movie on one of those dinosaurs? OK if you are happy with 800x600 resolution I guess, but don't even think about HD. And you can forget multiple monitors.

Yes, modern computers haven't sped up to the extent that the hardware has increased. They don't need to; they are plenty fast enough. They don't do things that much faster, they just do so much more and they do it so much better. Would you like to try running a modern flight sim at HD resolution with all the effects turned on on your ancient computer? As long as you're happy with two or three frames per minute, no problem. You rightly expect much, much more from your modern computer than you were happy with when running Windows 98.

One thing where you really notice the speed increase is if you are developing software. Compiles that used to take the best part of a day on my Windows 98 era computer now complete in minutes. So it's not Windows 8 that makes your computer seem not much faster; it's just that you are doing so much more with it.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Nov-13 06:46:29
Print Post

I used to enjoy the challenge of getting Win98Se to shut down properly. I learnt more about computers doing that than almost anything else. My father-in-law used an Amstrad with floppies until he died recently - he was happy with it and I agree that people often upgrade because they think they should. Just go by the moan factor with regards to 7 versus 8. Most people (ordinary users) loved 7 and are very iffy about 8 and 8.1. Says it all.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Nov-13 15:14:30
Print Post

But you don't have a choice as most PC's come pre-installed with Windows 8 and as you well know that MS have always had to play catch up with the Mac OS but have gone too far this time IMHO. As others have stated the Apple products are very stylish, well made and the buyer has to pay for the quality.

For those that like W8 that's all well and good but for those that dislike and even hate it, that is equally as good.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Nov-13 15:32:15
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

You don't have to buy a new PC if your old one with Windows 7, XP, whatever is still working. None of this is forced on people. But many people want new PCs with new features and it's going to need new OSs to support them. Upgrading is not compulsory, particularly if you like what you've got.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Nov-13 16:02:58
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

You and AEP are no doubt right. it is easy to look back and see how well a Os worked using the hardware that was available at the the time, but as been said, we do a lot more on these things now.

Saying that, I am finding that Modern Operating systems, do seem to put more bloat that is not required.
Look at windows 8 where there is more integration with cloudy stuff, mainly sky drive.

i think looking at windows and the way it is going is the reason i am moving over to Linux.

Adrian

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Nov-13 18:26:55
Print Post

Well I agree with you on the cloud stuff, luckily, we still have a choice not to use it (even though some say it is not so obvious to choose a local account..).

I would happily use Linux if I thought it was a better OS for my needs. If Windows ever forces me to put personal data in the cloud, then I will most likely be moving to Linux/UNIX too.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Sat 30-Nov-13 18:27:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to