Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-13 11:48:51
Print Post

Re: Window 8.1

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Well I agree with you on the cloud stuff, luckily, we still have a choice not to use it (even though some say it is not so obvious to choose a local account..).

I done a complete reinstall of windows 8.1 a few days back as I wanted to move windows to the slower Seagate hybrid drive and put Linux on the faster SSD drive.

I thought while I was doing that I may as well install windows 8.1 instead of 8 as I have a ISO of it.

Because I did not have any network adaptor drivers I did not get all the nagging about having a windows account. but i havwe had it when installing 8.1 on other computers.

Really annoying it is, how long will it be before you can't even use windows without having a MS account? Don't say it will never happen.

I would happily use Linux if I thought it was a better OS for my needs. If Windows ever forces me to put personal data in the cloud, then I will most likely be moving to Linux/UNIX too.

It depends on what you do with your compute. It is only video editing that I find a pain in Linux, but saying that I am getting into Kdenlive. If you play games then Linux is not for you, but it is getting there.

I am typing this from W8.1 at the moment as I thought I better start putting some software on here like Vegas. and putting some decent security on here.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-13 20:17:50
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

How did you find the 8.1 install Adrian, did you have an 8 or 8.1 key, I found it most frustrating the 8.1 ISO not accepting my 8 key but later found a work around with a generic key published on TechNet.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Dec-13 20:54:37
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

But you said that people have a choice. Very limited choice, you've got to admit.

You like W8 and that's fair enough, lots of people have had to purchase a new computer and dislike the new OS but you and some others seem to get annoyed about that.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-13 21:15:22
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
How did you find the 8.1 install Adrian, did you have an 8 or 8.1 key, I found it most frustrating the 8.1 ISO not accepting my 8 key but later found a work around with a generic key published on TechNet.

I used the infofrom this page to get the ISO.

I usedthis page to get the Generic key

once you installed windows 8.1, you need to enter your windows 8 key for it to be activated.

so a clean install.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-13 21:22:55
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I'm not in the least annoyed that you dislike Windows 8. No more than you are annoyed that I like it.

I do find the need sometimes to put the record right when people spread disinformation about Windows 8, and I do enjoy pointing out to people how they can use it effectively.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to