Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jan-15 09:01:55
Print Post

Re: Windows 10

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

They have had times when it was cut and dried. There was a point where swapping a hard disk was enough to count as a "new PC". There have also been times where it was done on a kind of points basis - you could replace one or 2 bits but go any further and it would trigger. These days it is slightly less obvious as so many people complained about the previous systems.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jan-15 10:50:13
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Anyone tried the latest build?
I made room for it on the Linux drive on this computer, just to check it out.

Menu is awful, too large and those tiles are naff, I prefer just plain text. I know things will change, the menu will be resizable. some linux distros been doing this for years.

No way to get to start screen now if you do not want a menu, but you can expand the start menu to full size.

Too much integration with Modern UI apps, it is not a bad thing, but sometimes it is difficult to see what are modern apps and what are normal apps. Windows 8 it was like two separate operating systems. So I can understand why MS is doing this, but it would be nice if there was a switch to just turn off all Modern UI apps.

Compatibility problems, two of my software, Sony Vegas and Adobe Photoshop refuses to run, In fact Vegas will not even register.

Still no drivers for my network adaptor and yet it uses a well known chipset, Linux can do it, so why not MS?

The GUI is a bit tacky to be honest, looks like they have really dumbed it down. I understand that this windows is for lower powered machines as well, but it would be nice to have a choice.

Control panel is kind of hidden, unless you knew that it was right click on the start menu, you would never find it.

cortana do not work in this country unless you change the region, but at least you can get rid of the stupid search box on the taskbar.

IE while it seems to work faster , the look of it is still rubbish.

A couple of driver problem, so again compatibility again is a issue, feels like Vista all over again.

Seems like there is going to be more integration, more ways to get people to connect their computer to the MS account, with Skype being integrated into a messenger service. that is fine as long as they still allow people to install the desktop version of Skype.

The one good thing is that it seems snappier than Windows 8.1, but that is I think because they dumb down the UI so much.

I have now taken it off this machine, but I will put it on my laptop so I can keep a eye on it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Mon 26-Jan-15 11:13:26
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I'm trying in on a lappy (dual boot with Win 7)

I like the look of it, but agree about the menu. I've put classic shell on, and now have a start menu I like

Save a bird,
eat a cat.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jan-15 21:10:27
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

There is a way to get the old resiszable start menu back. Link follows

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3674-start-menu-e...

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Enta
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jan-15 09:21:11
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
There is a way to get the old resiszable start menu back. Link follows

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3674-start-menu-e...

That is useful to know, I will post it on another forum as some people on there are saying they do not like the new menu.
But the way it is hidden, it seems like MS will take it away on the final build or before.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to