Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-15 14:14:44
Print Post

Windows 10 Unboxing

[link to this post]

...or rather unloading perhaps...

I quite like Windows 10, although accessing apps is now a lot harder.

Installation went through okay, although there were a few areas where the user should be kept informed about the process, instead of getting just a blank screen. It took several hours.

After installation, I had to install NVidia drivers for Windows 10 - surprised it wasn't included in the updates (of which there were 2 and several app updates).

Graphically its quite nice - more of a Vista feel to it really.

Everything is smooth, although no faster than Windows 8, although I do need to defrag soon. Haven't tried Battlefield 4 or any other game yet though.

Edge is nice, although it looks like it wont accept plug-ins, so unfortunately you'll have to put up with adverts.

Cortana is a bit stupid - asked it for what the weather is like where I am, and it just kept coming up with a map of where it thought I was.

Windows Video player cant play FRAPS created files, so you would need something to play those if you need to before uploading (or editing). FRAPS does work, but it looks like you need to load it after the program you want to record, otherwise it will crash it.

Battlefield 4 doesn't support Edge, so you need something else. Its quite amusing if you select the "continue using Microsoft Edge" option: you get taken to a "Browser Not Supported" screen, which asks you to download a modern, secure browser smile So much for doing away with the need for Internet Explorer smile

You cant drag and drop a video for uploading to YouTube in Edge. It also slows down a lot when entering in a description whilst uploading.

The action centre is nice.

I have had the Store just hang during download of 7 apps... Fortunately, I managed to get it all going again.

4GB is too little for Windows 10 unfortunately - the amount of disk usage is quite amazing, so you would need at least 8GB as a minimum.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-15 14:48:47
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 Unboxing

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
4GB is too little for Windows 10 unfortunately - the amount of disk usage is quite amazing, so you would need at least 8GB as a minimum.

During my Installation it downloaded 2-off hidden directories, which used nearly 5GB, but then stated it need at least another 9GB (which I didn't have available), so it requested to use an external USB.

Having sorted that out, & then getting well past the 90+% loading mark, it simply stated that the Installation had failed - without any explanation!

Regards,
John
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-15 16:50:12
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I did mean RAM smile

But I'm not surprised it wont really fit on a 4GB USB stick - it should give a good description though.

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 17:47:33
Print Post

I did mean RAM smile

But I'm not surprised it wont really fit on a 4GB USB stick - it should give a good description though.

So what is the 3GB download all about?

plusnet user
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-15 19:57:21
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I think that's the boot system and not the actual operating system

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 31-Jul-15 20:11:44
Print Post

I dont see anything good about edge unless you someone who likes dumbed down apps.

What were MS thinking. "ok lets copy chrome UI and have no features people will love it then".

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User greyposter
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 20:54:39
Print Post

When my Win 10 arrives, would it be better to but Win 8 (I'm on 7)on before download ?

In wine there is wisdom,In beer there is freedom,In water there is bacteria

plusnet
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 10:50:12
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Oh yes, Edge is far too simple, and can be very sluggish. It does work though (more or less), and its somewhat better than the IE app in Windows 8

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 10:51:46
Print Post

[re: greyposter] [link to this post]

I don't see the point of going Win 7 -> Win 8 -> Win 10 - it is just asking for problems. Just install Windows 10 over Windows 7.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User greyposter
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Aug-15 13:05:58
Print Post

Cheers, nice to know.

In wine there is wisdom,In beer there is freedom,In water there is bacteria

plusnet
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 16:37:37
Print Post

I have been using Windows 10 for a while as a insider, on a different drive to windows 8.
Edge is fast, but with no extensions available it is not usable on sites with a load of ads.

The start menu is awful to be honest and still have problems, KMs should really have got rid of the tiles. I used Start is back menu.

The built in apps are pretty useless and keeps trying to take over and making a non-MS application default is more of a pain. Say you want chrome as your default browser, with windows 8.1 and below, you just go into the settings of chrome and click default. With Windows 10 that do not work, you have to go into settings on Windows 10

Saying about the settings, they are now split, you get some in the control panel and some in settings.
I do not like the notification panel, took a while to find out where to turn them all off.

Also installing windows 10 takes far too long, slower than Windows 7.;

Anyway. my hard drive with Windows 10 on went belly up this afternoon, I knew it was on it's way out, the problem is it also somehow mucked up my Windows8.1, so i had to reinstall that as for some reason my backup do not work. (one of those days today)
What is annoying me is how MS is trying to push 10, after i installed windows 8.1, i got a message saying that I can get windows 10 for free, and even in the updates the windows 10 update is ticked, i am so glad I looked. No doubt I will get that tag in the taskbar once all the updates are done.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 17:13:34
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Yes, the split system settings is rather stupid.

It certainly seemed to take longer that Windows 7 - probably even longer than Windows 8. The really long pauses are annoying - its okay(ish) if you can see the hard drive light flash, but if you can't it's not good.

Cortana isn't much more that a party trick - it doesn't really help much, as it just shows you were to go for information, rather than directly providing it, for most things.

The odd thing is it gets my current location totally wrong (and by extension Bing), and yet Google gets it right.

I like the new calender/clock and the maps app. Just a shame the email one is too simple.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 18:01:14
Print Post

Cortana seems to be a way to get a lot of info from users, in fact Windows 10 seems to be not bothered about privacy at all, take a look here. Betanews link.

i never used cortana, because to use it you have to use a MS account and link the computer to it. Where would Cortana get your location info from? It is no good relying on your IP address as that normally do not work.
Google gets my location wrong as well, how can it know?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 20:09:46
Print Post

Edge plug ins are coming in future updates. Cortana gets my location from the default in the weather app. Found a few bugs which I have reported in windows feedback, glad they left that in.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 20:44:51
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Geo-location on PC's can be a bit hit and miss, which I must admit is understandable

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 20:46:09
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Yes, I heard Edge was getting plug-ins, which is good.

And why, is the default language for creating an installation media Czech, and not the default language of the system being used !?

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 21:30:03
Print Post

Yes I had that with the media tool maybe alphabetically chosen.

Not sure when edge plug ins will be available.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Aug-15 22:18:36
Print Post

And why, is the default language for creating an installation media Czech, and not the default language of the system being used !?
Because the installation routines were written in Czechoslovakia?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User martinsq
(member) Sat 01-Aug-15 23:53:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Because the installation routines were written in Czechoslovakia?

NO SUCH PLACE ANYMORE...., doubt it was done in Czech Republic...
alphabeticaly it would be Arabic (or even Afgan...!) or perhaps those versions are not yet ready, so Czech comes up first ?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Aug-15 09:36:10
Print Post

Geo-location on PC's can be a bit hit and miss, which I must admit is understandable

More miss than hit, which is not a bad thing to be honest.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Aug-15 09:38:23
Print Post

Yes, I heard Edge was getting plug-ins, which is good.

October with a big update, so I am lead to believe and also the integration of Skype. i would still use the desktop version.

No idea.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to