Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Thu 26-Nov-15 18:02:19
Print Post

Re: Win 8.1 Updating to Win 10

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I've installed Windows 10 on all our laptops and PCs and can quite honestly say it works just fine. It keeps all the programs and data. Generally if programs works under 8.1 it'll work under 10. To be safe always back up at least your data before an upgrade as you should on a regular basis anyway. Not a massive difference from Windows 8/8.1 in usability, but seems slightly more stable and less buggy. However after the upgrade, 3 out of 7 experienced freezing or hanging which appears to be quite a common problem. As I couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot these issues, I backed up everything on each of these to our NAS and did clean installs on these machines, after which they ran perfectly.
Ask any IT professional and they will all tell you a clean install is always the best option. Ask anyone at Microsoft and they will tell you the same, but not in public. Microsoft have to promote upgrades as if they didn't then very few would buy new OS as the majority of users atre not technically competent to clean install Windows.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Nov-15 01:38:03
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Works fine for me on all my computers. What makes you think it is a glorified beta?
Things like this thread. Then these posts.
In reply to a post by Spuriousfish:
I've run Win10 for a number of months and can't say that it improves my life or productivity. What I really don't like is the lack of control over updates and the privacy issues.... meaning unless your careful you can finish up handing over a lot of your data to MS for them to make money from.
In reply to a post by rogerfp:
I've installed Windows 10 on all our laptops and PCs and can quite honestly say it works just fine. It keeps all the programs and data. Generally if programs works under 8.1 it'll work under 10. To be safe always back up at least your data before an upgrade as you should on a regular basis anyway. Not a massive difference from Windows 8/8.1 in usability, but seems slightly more stable and less buggy. However after the upgrade, 3 out of 7 experienced freezing or hanging which appears to be quite a common problem. As I couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot these issues, I backed up everything on each of these to our NAS and did clean installs on these machines, after which they ran perfectly.
Ask any IT professional and they will all tell you a clean install is always the best option. Ask anyone at Microsoft and they will tell you the same, but not in public. Microsoft have to promote upgrades as if they didn't then very few would buy new OS as the majority of users atre not technically competent to clean install Windows.
Just from today, and how long has it been out?

As for the last of those, "Generally if programs works under 8.1 it'll work under 10", great. And if some don't?

"after the upgrade, 3 out of 7 experienced freezing or hanging which appears to be quite a common problem". So probably be avoided by doing a clean install. Yeah, right! Email clients love that.

Today I even found on 8.1 that when I did a "Save as" with an emailed then amended PDF to it defaulted to directory C:\Bob\OneDrive\Documents .... and I didn't spot the OneDrive when changing it. That's happened a couple of times. Easy enough to sort out, but I do not want to use OneDrive in any way, shape or form! Accidentally picked it up somehow recently and keep failing to remember to find out how to disable it permanently.

So do I want to spent time ploughing through the intrusive Win 10 spy systems disabling each one? Then checking after each uncontrollable update?

I'm technically competent to do a clean install of a different OS, but if I need to do it to move from 8.1 to 10 then the clean install can come on my next machine thank you smile. I'm not saying people mustn't do it, but if they are running fine on 7 or 8.1, then stuff 10 wink.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 02:23:19
Print Post

On the OP point though, yes, indeed, that is naughty, it shouldn't be doing that.
confused Shouldn't be doing what? I made no such point.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 02:30:53
Print Post

You're not going to see a Windows 10.1 anytime soon, or at all
So they said about Win 8 in the beginning.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 02:35:47
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Yes, I can speculate as well as the next man. Yes, there is no consensus either way as yet. I've got time to let it settle down & iron out the creases.

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Fri 27-Nov-15 19:01:54
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

There is no upgrade path from a 32 bit to 64bit version of Windows. The only way to go from 32bit to 64bit is a clean install.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Fri 27-Nov-15 19:17:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You are competent to do a clean install but not happy to do a install and configure an email client successfully?
"Generally if programs works under 8.1 it'll work under 10", great. And if some don't?"
Anyone who is competent with computers and has can IQ, should be able sort it out. Hardly rocket science.
Unfortunately there are too many negative comments about Windows 10 on here, by people who are technically inept and don't know what they are talking about.,

Edited by rogerfp (Fri 27-Nov-15 19:34:11)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 21:12:11
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Clean install? Where do you get the wherewithal to do a clean install w/out paying for it? Windows Update is only offering you an Update to Win 10 for free.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 27-Nov-15 21:13:38)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-15 21:33:51
Print Post

Easy.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-sy...
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Fri 27-Nov-15 22:49:25
Print Post

I am lucky enough to legitimately not have to pay for any Microsoft O/S or Application software, It's called a Microsoft Volume Licence, so it's not a problem for me. I just have to log in to a Microsoft server and download whatever software ISO I want, often before public release. The last O/S I bought was Windows 3.1. I'm using the Enterprise version of Windows 10. Having said that it's pretty easy to create installation media from the Windows 10 update to use for a clean install without doing an upgrade, if you are technically competent.

Edited by rogerfp (Fri 27-Nov-15 23:10:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to