Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-15 22:50:11
Print Post

Re: Using winfiws 10

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
For a long time I thought it was some new gadget for Win 10 and the thread had got side-tracked.

The new gadget is "win-fi-ws". Windows turns wi-fi cards into wireless hotspots and streams the World Service. Version 10.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Dec-15 23:10:33
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

That sounds plausible. But ...

w(hat)
i(f)
n(o-one)
f(inds)
i(t)
w(ill)
s(tream)

?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-15 08:24:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
6000+ installations over 25 years. That's 240 per year. Over one per working day. Plus all the configuring and setting up, plus sorting out any problems.

For a desktop engineer that isn't that bad to be honest. When I used to do that I could easily be installing 200 machines a month and supporting many more. You can quite happily install 30 in a day. I wouldn't have fancied doing it for 25 years but it isn't an unreasonable number to tout about - 20 odd a month is nothing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-15 08:26:52
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Really? Funny I installed it on many machines and didn't have any real problems. Oh and by the way Windows Server 2016 Beta 3 and 4 work quite well too.
Maybe you are doing something stupid with it...

There are definitely some issues with Win 10. I have currently installed on 2 PCs - one had problems with a couple of updates before the install but has worked flawlessly ever since. The other was a pretty new tablet with no "special" config and it worked fine for a while but then started refusing to download anything from either the store or windows update - just gets an error code for which there was no fix at the time, I haven't used it for a few months so don't know if it has been fixed - some day I will get around to rebuilding it.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Fri 18-Dec-15 09:51:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Of course, many of these are concurrent builds. No one sits there watching the whole installation progress. Some were multiple test installs on different hardware with the latest build of the beta O/S which were downloaded from the US almost every day. Later, when working at a major news organisation, there were a lot of remote installs from RIS Servers. Windows installations are often the most boring thing to do and I'd totally agree I wouldn't want to do it constantly. Fortunately, these were peaks and troughs in those 25 years.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Dec-15 10:13:04
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

25 years worth of installs makes you an installer not a developer/writer.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Fri 18-Dec-15 11:08:17
Print Post

It used to take longer when Windows came on 30-odd floppies. But you could still do several at a time; it just got a bit boring swapping floppies.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-15 11:17:44
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Before we had any official cloning/remote build software I wrote my own using assembler and various standard DOS utilities. That way we built one PC and then took the hard disk out and cloned it onto others - one weekend my team of 3 people cloned 100's of PCs using that method - and they were Win 95 at that point (we had to rebuild them all as the supplier screwed up the build on them and we needed them urgently).
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Dec-15 11:57:52
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

So are you saying that W10 is ONLY for business users, that require some overpaid nerd that should be configuring using a server connection to save time and effort, and is not for home users that have less idea about an OS that should be configured to make it work?

You don't know what I do so don't presume you know me!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-15 11:58:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Really? Funny I installed it on many machines and didn't have any real problems. Oh and by the way Windows Server 2016 Beta 3 and 4 work quite well too.
Maybe you are doing something stupid with it...

There are definitely some issues with Win 10. I have currently installed on 2 PCs - one had problems with a couple of updates before the install but has worked flawlessly ever since. The other was a pretty new tablet with no "special" config and it worked fine for a while but then started refusing to download anything from either the store or windows update - just gets an error code for which there was no fix at the time, I haven't used it for a few months so don't know if it has been fixed - some day I will get around to rebuilding it.

Oh of course there are issues.... it doesn't make it beta though smile

WIndows Update has always been one of the slightly "less reliable" features of Windows since quite a while ago but for what it does it isn't too bad. Windows 7 and Windows 8 have had similiar annoying bugs.

AAISP Home::1
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to