Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 23:00:01
Print Post

Re: Using winfiws 10

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
"Beta" version has a specific meaning. It's for live environment testing prior to full release. A full general release is not supposed to be a beta.

The number of problems encountered with Win 10 strongly indicate it was not adequately beta-tested so should not have gone on full release to the public. The released version was still at beta level.

It is not Beta at all that is a completely idiotic statement.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Dec-15 23:04:56
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

It's also idiotic for anyone to claim it was fit for general release at the end of July. It was a shambles. Perhaps that needs to be the new term for something that is post-beta but has to be released due to marketing division say-so smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Wed 16-Dec-15 23:06:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It was a shambles.
You keep making this sort of statement without backing it up in any way. It ought to be pretty easy to provide documentary evidence that Windows 10 was a shambles on release. So why do you keep evading the question?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Dec-15 23:41:15
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

The easiest way for you to start would be by setting this forum to display posts for the last six months. Then read through them all.

Or would you like me to give you a long list of the Win 10 ones in a post?

Then just picking the first that google comes up with, try page 6 of this list:-
Another problem caused by the forced updates is that they can crash your computer. Rebooting your computer should fix that on a case by case basis.You can also uninstall the driver that's causing problems.
That's a job for geeks, not the general public. Quite apart from whatever uses that driver becoming disabled.

Page 7 is similar - as Microsoft drivers very often do not provide full device facilities.

Page 8 is simply unacceptable. Has this been altered by Microsoft?

The next one mentions Edge. Am I right in thinking this is a somewhat noddy browser at the moment, or is it full feature and reliable?

And so on and so on.

How about the November update. (My bold)
On November 12th, Microsoft finally pushed the button to release Windows 10 version 1511 on all supported regions.

The new version brings significant changes and a number of new features that are meant to fix and improve the operating system experience. Those who successfully upgraded will notice changes on the Start menu, and how Cortana now can handle missed call notifications and handwriting recognition to create reminders.

The Settings app also gets updated with a number of new features, such as the ability for users to install new apps on secondary or external drivers, new default printer manager, new personalization options, and the ability to configure a new feature to enable you to find your device if it ever gets lost.

Microsoft Edge received much-needed performance and security improvements, and the operating system includes a number of fixes and changes under-the-hood that makes version 1511 a great upgrade.
Much of that looks like stuff that should have been present at general release in July.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Thu 17-Dec-15 07:29:02
Print Post

These are exactly the sort of problems that you get with any new OS release, particularly the driver ones. I see more queries on the technical forums that I read about getting XP or 7 to install than I do about 10.

I agree with you about Edge; it's as bad as IE always was. That's why I use Chrome. A web browser, as far as I am concerned, is just a user program not a part of the OS.

From your description I am amazed that so many millions of people manage to run Windows 10. But I'm not trying to persuade anyone to change if they don't wish to - some people are still happy to run XP.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 17-Dec-15 09:16:04
Print Post

One advantage of updating to Windows 10 now is it's free, as Microsoft said it would be free for 12 months.

And of course you get the advantage of early user experience as Windows 10 represents the future.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-15 09:33:16
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
It is not Beta at all that is a completely idiotic statement.

It felt and looked like a beta when it was launched, I used it before it was launched and a couple of months after and I was a little surprised when they said it would be launched on time.

MS did not want to miss the launch date, so they put it out to the public ready or not. While subsequent updates have improved things, windows 10 still have problems.

Many people I know are waiting for a few month months before updating, some have updated just to get their free copy and gone back to their old OS, that is what I did. I updated and then done a clean install of Windows 8.1

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-15 09:45:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
You keep making this sort of statement without backing it up in any way. It ought to be pretty easy to provide documentary evidence that Windows 10 was a shambles on release. So why do you keep evading the question?

I suppose it depends on how you use it, if you just use it for running a browser then it is fine, it is when you get to running software and hardware that the problem start.

Vegas played up on it, my Scanner would not work on the launch version correctly, My sound card would muck up on Windows 10 because MS wanted to update the drivers to ones that would not work and because MS think they know best, they only allow drivers updates to be disabled for a certain amount of time.
The one strange things is that the launch version recognised my printer and put some sort of drivers on, but the November update don't recognise the printer now, which is not a bad thing.

Don't forget about the unmatched context menus and the unresponsive start menu, something which I noticed other people have had problems with, also the problems with some Nvida video cards.

Windows 10 was not ready to be launched and was a rushed job, now we get the excuse that it is a evolving OS.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-15 09:47:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
One advantage of updating to Windows 10 now is it's free, as Microsoft said it would be free for 12 months.

And of course you get the advantage of early user experience as Windows 10 represents the future.

Free as in we don't want your money, but not free in the sense we want to know everything about you.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Dec-15 10:22:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Surely that's an argument for updating to it as late as possible before the end of July 2016? Where is the advantage in the pain of being an early adopter?

The longer you leave it the more likely it is to work. Assuming one updates to it from 8.1 at all. Is there a need?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to