Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Thu 17-Dec-15 11:13:27
Print Post

Re: Using winfiws 10

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Assuming one updates to it from 8.1 at all. Is there a need?
No, there is no need. Stick with 8.1.
(experienced) Thu 17-Dec-15 11:18:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I wouldn't update to Windows 10 just because it is free. I did update because, as I discovered from the previews, it is the OS that 8 and 8.1 should have been. Like all OSs it is not perfect, just an improvement on previous iterations of the concept. It makes the integration of a number of devices very easy and, to me, that is more important than the fact that the new browser is not yet as good as it should be (although it is impressively fast). I have the technical ability to use a different browser.

If people want to stick with 8.1, 8, 7, XP, 2000, or 98 it matters nothing to me. They can continue to use 3.1 for all I care; but I don't like to see disinformation and FUD being spread by those who don't wish to upgrade.
(experienced) Thu 17-Dec-15 11:22:50
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The issues that you mention are typical issues that occur with every release of a new OS. Programs that work on a previous version, but used unapproved ways of accessing the system, do tend to break on new versions. As for drivers, scanners in particular seem to cause problems - I lose count of the number of posts that I have seen on technical forums along the lines of "My XYZ scanner worked fine on XP but I can't get it to work on Vista", and so on. Don't blame the OS for poorly written software and lack of driver support from hardware manufacturers.

I can assure you that I use Windows 10 for rather more demanding applications than web browsing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Dec-15 11:41:19
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

I don't argue with the statement that a new OS always shows up some problems from peripherals and components.

I do maintain that Microsoft went ahead with general release this time when the relevant manufacturers for whatever reason hadn't been able to produce working updates in time, or possibly the "forced" MS replacement drivers were duff in many cases.

Regarding the manufacturers, it is very possible the relevant specifications were either published too late by MS, or even changed at a late date.

What was obvious at the beginning of August was that there were far more such problems than normal. Far more even than when MSDOS was dropped, which is when they could be expected to peak.

We are possibly now in a position where a general release would be sensible. In July, definitely not.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(experienced) Thu 17-Dec-15 12:18:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What was obvious at the beginning of August was that there were far more such problems than normal. Far more even than when MSDOS was dropped, which is when they could be expected to peak.
If you are going to hark back to MS-DOS, I'm done!
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Dec-15 13:14:55
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Surely a newer OS is supposed to be MORE intuitive and easier to use. If one has to configure it then it's not fit for purpose!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Dec-15 13:22:54
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

If MS state that W10 can be used to UPDATE a previous OS then there should be few issues.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Thu 17-Dec-15 14:17:01
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

They would say that, wouldn't they!!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-15 14:23:03
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
The issues that you mention are typical issues that occur with every release of a new OS. Programs that work on a previous version, but used unapproved ways of accessing the system, do tend to break on new versions. As for drivers, scanners in particular seem to cause problems - I lose count of the number of posts that I have seen on technical forums along the lines of "My XYZ scanner worked fine on XP but I can't get it to work on Vista", and so on. Don't blame the OS for poorly written software and lack of driver support from hardware manufacturers.

I can assure you that I use Windows 10 for rather more demanding applications than web browsing.

What you are forgetting is that Windows 10 was in public testing for a long time, so a lot of these problems should have been sorted before launch. I thought that that was the idea of the insider program.

I can understand Hardware not working between some versions of windows, ie, Windows XP and Vista as these versions used different drivers.
Windows 10 supposed to be able to use Windows 8.1 drivers and it does in some way. My scanner problem was that the software would not recognise a button being pressed on my scanner to scan. In fact the only software that worked in a fashion was the built in scanning software on Windows 10, but only as a flatbed, the single sheet feeder was ignored.
I did get it working after a lot of mucking around.

The sound card is another issue, I got it working with drivers supplied by Asus, but Windows 10 would try and replace the drivers with its own, which did not work. Why do that?

The unresponsive start menu, should have been fixed before launched, the context menus should have been sorted, little things like that.

I have rescued a few people who have tried to update to 10 because their machines have failed to update and they are dumped back to the updating screen all the time. What would those people have done if I was not here?

I think MS spent so much time in finding ways to spy on us that they have forgotten what a OS is for.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Thu 17-Dec-15 14:25:25
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

If you say so. I'll put my hands up and defer to your vast experience and knowledge of installing OS's. I must have been really unlucky with the 6000+ I have installed over the last 25 years, in that almost all needed configuring and setting up after the initial installation.

Edited by rogerfp (Thu 17-Dec-15 14:43:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to