Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 05-Jan-16 16:55:56
Print Post

Re: No apologies for raising Win 10 again

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

Yes, snipping tool is there
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jan-16 16:59:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Great! Thanks.

It's sounding more user friendly to me now! smile

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jan-16 17:07:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
Is the 'start' button the white windows icon extreme left?
Yes, that icon is the Windows 10 standard image, used during boot as well.
I use the start button a fair bit daily for searches, favourites and disk cleanup
Just click Start and type 'app name'
I use the Snipping Tool a fair bit too - does W10 have that?
Yes, as mentioned, just click Start and type 'snip', I've never used the tool but it's there.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jan-16 00:10:56
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

All sounds good - thanks! smile

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 09:31:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Great! Thanks.

It's sounding more user friendly to me now! smile

It is not difficult to use if you use other versions of Windows, the start menu is not the best, to pin stuff on it like you do on Windows 7 you have the awful tiles, but you can get a third party start menu to make it more like Windows 7.
The settings are split apart, you have got the control panel and you have got settings, that is a bit of a pain.

The look of Windows 10 is not that nice, very flat and dull and also some things that are not finished, like the context menus.

My view and a lot of other people is that Windows 10 is still in beta and the wider public is being used as a test bed, also watch the spying in there, if you do want to have MS spying on you then turn everything off, like getting to know you and cortana. Best is to use third party software to do it.

Windows 109 is better than Windows 7 in that it is faster, runs smoother, have better memory management, but I do not think it have much advantage over 8.1 for joe public anyway

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jan-16 14:41:37
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

If you can't remember the name of the Program/App (only use it once in a blue moon) is there a list similar to "All Programs"?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 15:28:02
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
If you can't remember the name of the Program/App (only use it once in a blue moon) is there a list similar to "All Programs"?

Yes, just click "All apps" in the Start Menu.

Oliver.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Wed 06-Jan-16 16:06:29
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

And, if you can remember the first letter or two of the name, it is very simple to hone in on it.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 16:31:17
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
And, if you can remember the first letter or two of the name, it is very simple to hone in on it.

Yep. I like how you can click (e.g.) the "A" heading to get "zoomed out" to a higher level, allowing you to "zoom in" to a specific letter.

Oliver.
Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jan-16 18:04:13
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I may be mistaken but it does sound to me as if you haven't actually tried Windows 10, which may explain some confusion.

Windows 10 can run in either desktop mode (as it would on a normal computer) when it acts much like any other version of Windows, or in tablet mode (as it would on a tablet) when it acts more like a tablet OS. And the great thing is that on these hybrids with detachable keyboards, or screens that fold back, it automatically switches to the appropriate mode.

All this talk of it being a "tablet operating system" is just that; just talk. That was certainly more true of Windows 8, but Microsoft have learnt their lessons from that.

I installed it in August on both my 6 year old desktop and my wife's 6 year old laptop - both Acers. No issues, just some settings and default programmes etc needed some fine tuning to suit our preferences.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to