Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User neo_wales
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-16 13:26:24
Print Post

Re: MS Office versions - 2016 especially

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The Ribbon is fine, just another change in a software package, after a while using it is second nature.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 19:28:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I do not like this cloudy stuff where these companies want you to stick every online. I prefer local storage. I do use dropbox for a couple of documents, but no one would have any idea what they mean if they grabbed hold of them.

Same here. I'd much rather pay a one-off cost of £40 for a 1 TB external drive than £80 a year for 1 TB cloud storage. I can see the use of having several GB of content in cloud storage to share between devices, but that can be had for free anyway.

And that's just on cost grounds, quite aside from the privacy implications of placing personal data in the cloud.

Oliver.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 21:22:23
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

One useful function of One Drive is you can share it between computer and windows phone. I have about 14gb in One Drive of music.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 22:12:51
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Same here. I'd much rather pay a one-off cost of £40 for a 1 TB external drive than £80 a year for 1 TB cloud storage. I can see the use of having several GB of content in cloud storage to share between devices, but that can be had for free anyway.

And that's just on cost grounds, quite aside from the privacy implications of placing personal data in the cloud.

Yep and yep, I do have some pictures and some important video on a couple of USB sticks that is at a friends place, just in case anything happens here.
the one problem with drives is that they can go wrong.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 22:15:32
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
One useful function of One Drive is you can share it between computer and windows phone. I have about 14gb in One Drive of music.

That is why IK use Dropbox for a couple of files, not to go from computer to phone, but from desktop to laptop, saying that I could use the NAs drivce, also saying that I have not used the laptop for months.

The two documents on dropbox is password protected and even if anyone did have a look they would have no idea what it is about.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-16 11:18:46
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

If you have a licence for 2010, then you should be able to transfer it to a new machine.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
2013 3521kwh,   2014 3435kwh, 2015 to 30th June 1991kwh

My Broadband Ping
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Jan-16 11:43:44
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Indeed. But it's a new PC for use elsewhere, not a replacement for my present PC.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 14-Jan-16 12:31:27
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by neo_wales:
The Ribbon is fine, just another change in a software package, after a while using it is second nature.

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
The ribbon came in with Office 2007. To be honest, having persevered with it, I find it easy to use. Though occasionally, as I did with the old menu system I still sometimes hunt for an infrequently used feature.

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
i don't like the ribbon either, I am using WPS office at the moment, I thought I would give it another go at least they give the choice between the ribbon and normal menus.
The problem with the ribbon is that very few producers are using it, so you go from one bit of software to another and you got to use a different UI.

Within two days of installing MS 2007 and realising the menus were gone, I had downloaded a free menu addon.

http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenuoffice2007/
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jan-16 17:19:33
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Within two days of installing MS 2007 and realising the menus were gone, I had downloaded a free menu addon.

http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenuoffice2007/

So another third party bit of software and also are the menus in German like the webpage?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 15-Jan-16 09:18:05
Print Post

Mine aren't. And the ubit bar that appear there only appears when using the menu tab.

http://www.camieabz.co.uk/files/menu.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to