Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Jan-16 13:45:56
Print Post

Re: MS Office versions - 2016 especially

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Just got Office 2003 Pro off eBay for £15 for my new Win 10 PC to replace my Office '97 Pro + Outlook Express on XP. It works fine and registered straightaway. All the better for not having ribbons smile.

Not all the better for having a version of Office that Microsoft no longer issues security fixes for, though.

Oliver.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jan-16 14:57:34
Print Post

I suspect I'm going to be doing that on Tueday or thereabouts for Office 2010 - (only actually need Word, Excel, PowerPoint so Home & Student would do).

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Jan-16 14:58:51
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I suspect I'm going to be doing that on Tueday or thereabouts for Office 2010 - (only actually need Word, Excel, PowerPoint so Home & Student would do).

You could get 2016 for the same price, but if you insist on getting a 6 year old version instead for no reason I can think of? by all means.

AAISP Home::1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jan-16 17:18:40
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

hay I learn something new every day. You are quite right and I was wrong. You only get to use the sw while paying for it frown . For me its 22p per day for MS office 2016 for all of the family pc's and droid devices, plus any upgrades during that license year..

Need to read the detail in the future. I thought I was getting the sw on the PC and it would just continue to work if I stopped the subscription. Looks like that is not the case. You get about 30 days to renew and then zap into read-only mode then eventually its gone.

If I had bought a full perpetual MS Office license for all pc's, then I would have to pay the equivalent of the 6 years (office 365 costs) up front, with no upgrades, so using the 365 Home for 5 computers works for me (for now).

I can see and understand why some may use a 2-3 year old license that is £cheap and use the MS office from the past. Basically upgrading but using sw 2-5 years old, which works and is very cheap. I did the same for win7 to get Win10 free for some VM test servers I use.

IanD
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jan-16 22:12:13
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Do you have an issue with older OSs and software? If an older version works for a particular user then why pay more just to keep up with a trend?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jan-16 22:15:35
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

What security issue is there that a decent firewall and antivirus software can't detect?

I'm still using XP, on two PCs and until a year ago (when the print server laptop died) I was using W2K. No hackers got through or were remotely interested.

Too much scaremongering!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 03:31:45
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Not all the better for having a version of Office that Microsoft no longer issues security fixes for, though.
Not much change from Office '97 + OE then, is there? They suited me for years w/out being attacked. I've still received 30 security updates for Office 2003, far more than for Win 10 since I had it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 03:36:34
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
For me its 22p per day for MS office 2016 for all of the family pc's and droid devices, plus any upgrades during that license year.
I thought the licence for the current Office 2016 is for 1 PC only? Unlike Office 365.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 09:53:17
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
In reply to a post by cheshire_man:

You could get 2016 for the same price, but if you insist on getting a 6 year old version instead for no reason I can think of? by all means.

Maybe he prefers it, I know someone who still uses word pro, and that is a lot older than 6 years. Mind you getting it to run on newer machines is getting more challenging.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 10:37:23
Print Post

Office 365 includes Office 2016 - if you pay the £80 per year version you get it on 5 PCs + 5 smartphones + 5 tablets and you get 5 x 1TB of OneDrive storage.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to