Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jan-16 20:55:03
Print Post

Re: To upgrade or not

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I'm on W7 64bit with 3Gb of RAM on a SATA HDD. No issues when editing video. I do use an external HD to save the files as my bottleneck is the writing of the new file.

With your SSD and basic use then you shouldn't need any extra RAM.

The bottle-neck is normally the drive, it is the slowest thing on a computer, even SSD.

I only save compleated files onto the external drive or files for backup.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jan-16 20:56:57
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Thanks for the replies, I very rarely have more than 3 programs open at a time. Photoshop Express does me for photo correction. I dont game so looks like the consensus is 4gb is adequate for my needs, thanks again for saving me £60-90.

I been trying to save myself money as well, I have been looking at laser printers, but I am not sure if I really need one, My ink jets works ok, but it was annoying me yesterday as I needed to print out a load of stuff in High quality and it takes so long. But would I really make use of a Laser printer?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jan-16 21:07:50
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I bought my late Dad a Panasonic Laser, it lasted a good few years but eventually the drum needed replacing and it was as much as the printer so its now in the loft.

Lasers are handy for large print runs but I now stick to deskjets for the amount of printing I do like paypal receipts and the odd webpage. Could not justify a laser now.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:32:22
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
I bought my late Dad a Panasonic Laser, it lasted a good few years but eventually the drum needed replacing and it was as much as the printer so its now in the loft.

Lasers are handy for large print runs but I now stick to deskjets for the amount of printing I do like paypal receipts and the odd webpage. Could not justify a laser now.

Most lasers these days have the drum built into the toner cartridge, so it is replaced with the toner. Also lasers have come down a lot in price, you can pick up a monochrome one for about £40, but it is basic. I am not bothered about wireless, my inkjet is wireless and I after it not working as it should I stuck it on USB and I have never used the wireless part since.

I did take a walk to Pc world yesterday and had a look, but they had very few lasers, most was inkjets, my Inkjet works fine, so I do not need a new one.

I am having the same problem with a router, I missed a good deal with a Asus router not so long ago because I could not make up my mind. I had a look at a TP link yesterday, but not sure about it, I was thinking of getting a all in one.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:49:44
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I have a Samsung wireless laser. £39.99 from Staples last year. Also have an HP laserjet upstairs (20 years old now) and only required 1 toner in 10 years (at £25) Cheaper than injet by a long way.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to