Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 09:17:21
Print Post

Re: Move to Win 10

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Gmail and outlook data is store on the relevant servers, so they will be safe.

Outlook.com data is stored serverside but Outlook data is stored locally in a .pst file.

I take it that he was referring to Outlook.com, since he said outlook account.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Wed 16-Mar-16 15:56:58
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Following help here (Cheers, Zyborg!), I used Reflect to copy my c:drive. I didn't know what winretools and pbr image were so also copied them away. Have just bitten the bullet and installed Win10. No real probs to date. I was disturbed, however, to get four MS popups about things that hadn't been moved over. They displayed v quickly then disappeared before I'd realised what was going on! One was something from Atheros (er, what?) and another a Dell prog. Notwithstanding, things seem to be running so far. Looking at all apps I see that atheros is listed. So what was all that about?

One surprise, which I'm sure must have been noted here already, is that edge still doesn't know LastPass - certainly used by many thousands. So Chrome wins on that.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Mar-16 17:29:52
Print Post

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Atheros wifi card. May also support Bluetooth.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Mar-16 08:51:02
Print Post

Atheros is certainly network adaptor of some sort, i expect it is some software that is used that is not compatible with Windows 10, but as long as the drivers are in place it will work.
Atheros chipsets are a bit strange i have a wireless TPlink adaptor for my desktop which uses a Atheros chipset and i never really got on with it and I had problems getting one working on a laptop that some one updated from Windows XP to Windows 7 a while back. I use a home plug now for my desktop, now I found one that works.

Edge got no add ons at the moment and when it comes will anyone support it? I do not like edge, so even if I went back to Windows 10 and it had all the extensions support, I would not use it. i do not like the look of the Universal apps and that is what Edge is, but then I do not like Internet Explorer either and the last 3 or so versions looked awful.

Glad to help, You can now use Reflect to do image backups of your computer if yuou have a external drive.,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ess1
(regular) Mon 04-Apr-16 16:22:43
Print Post

Yes, I too have problem with Edge taking over Browser.
My MS Outlook 2003 in-mail insists in opening Edge. I then have to "open in IE" if I wish to utilise IE11.

Through Settings I can make IE default but then Outlook doesn't open in-mail!!

No big problem as for most of my usage is with desktop - Win7-64.

Have never really tried any other browser.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 22:16:29
Print Post

[re: ess1] [link to this post]

Win10 Manager is a very useful tool for tweaking all sorts of Win10 settings and installed programs/apps. The "demo" version is fully functional but time limited. However, any changes made via the program will stick after uninstallation.

As always, back up the system first, preferably by using an imaging program.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User ess1
(regular) Tue 05-Apr-16 10:49:21
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Many thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Apr-16 18:48:47
Print Post

[re: ess1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ess1:
I can make IE default but then Outlook doesn't open in-mail!!
Yes, when you click on a link in an email from Outlook when IE is default browser it opens the home page of the link and not the link itself.

I get over this by having Firefox as the default browser but use IE for actual browsing.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ess1
(regular) Sat 09-Apr-16 09:31:36
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Many thanks for this info.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to