Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Mar-16 12:43:09
Print Post

Re: Just tightened up my wifi

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

Hiding the SSID is like removing your house number from the front door. The black hat can still see and break into your house.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 11-Mar-16 16:56:42
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

When I go to bed at night I try to remember to switch everything off, close the windows and lock the doors. If burglar bill comes calling, none of those thngs will stop him but I still go through the routine because it's make me feel safer. Perhaps a similar scenario, a determined hacker can get in but there are things you can do to make it more likely that he chooses another network.

Edited by longedge (Fri 11-Mar-16 16:58:27)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Mar-16 18:01:01
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Ill put the number back up on the door then.

Makes the delivery firms ring the door bell and ask is this xxxx ave, before just leaving the parcel at the door, or thrown over the fence.

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 15-Mar-16 14:00:34
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
I tried hiding my SSID but my windows phones couldnt connect to wifi with this hidden so had to leave that on.

Anything else I could do?

Unhide SSID, let phones detect network and save network settings, then hide SSID again. They might work that way.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Mar-16 19:52:50
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Depends where you live aswell as to how "secure" you need your wifi. Where i live there are only half a dozen houses within range of my router, and half of those have elderly people living in them with no internet access. Infact there are only 4 other networks i can pick up from where i live

Not a place we get alot of through traffic either

I live in a remote area only just got fibre (struggling to manage the max of 40meg package due to length).
One funny thing is i pickup only one other network where i live and that is it. A Talk Talk wps enabled wpa 2 network with 1 signal bar from my laptop. All my other WiFi devices mostly don't even pick up the neighbors WiFi at all.

I even changed my channel to 1 because the talk talk WiFi was using same channel as mine 6 but i haven't noticed any difference unsurprisingly lol
Standard User mbames
(regular) Mon 02-May-16 16:42:56
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I have happily had my windows phone connecting to a hidden wifi network - you have to set it up manually and then it works fine.

Sky Fibre (40/10), HG612, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to