Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Apr-16 23:14:04
Print Post

Staying with Win7 (GRC Never Win10)

[link to this post]

I currently use Win7 and whilst I was considering going to Win10 until recently when I found that likely no driver available for my colour laser printer or three network to USB servers that I use.

First problem was that I allowed MS to download the update folder some months back and ever since it nags.

On another non-PC forum a suggestion is Never 10 which can be seen at https://www.grc.com/never10.htm This would seem to do what I want, namely clear my pc of the downloaded files and prevent further pestering by MS.

Has anyone tried this utility? Any comments?

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 30-Apr-16 23:25:22
Print Post

Re: Staying with Win7 (GRC Never Win10)

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Using GWX Control Panel. So far so good. Download here

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 30-Apr-16 23:42:08
Print Post

I was on Win 8.1 and found by going into Taskbar Properties I could set the Win 10 update icon to not shown and no notifications. That disappeared it and the prompts.

However not long ago I decided to do the update on my standby machine and it appeared fine, and a week ago decided to go ahead on this one. There are three notifications that I haven't dealt with to do with things no longer supported, but I haven't bothered looking into them yet as day-to-day use seems fine, including wireless printing.

As I was set to boot to the desktop it has auto-set to do the same. Suits me. I think the initial problems must have been ironed out.

During initial setup I took the manual config option and disabled all the snooping options.

Both installations got a load of updates within 48 hours but have settled down now.

Edit - Oops - I forgot your problem is the non-support of your printer. Hasn't the maker got updated drivers?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 30-Apr-16 23:46:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-May-16 07:08:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
I currently use Win7 and whilst I was considering going to Win10 until recently when I found that likely no driver available for my colour laser printer or three network to USB servers that I use.
Oddly enough on Windows 7 the monitoring software for my 9 year old mono HP laser software didn't work, it was fine on XP, but MS installed default drivers and the printer worked fine albeit with no monitoring.

I auto-upgraded to Windows 10, then did a clean install, and monitoring have been installed automatically and it works better than under Windows 7. Perhaps strange but true.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-May-16 10:43:59
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wingco1:
Using GWX Control Panel. So far so good. Download here

Use GWX control panel here as well.
I can get Windows 10 working with all my hardware with a struggle apart from now and again it kept trying to replace my sound card drivers with ones that don't work, but a mate of mine have found a way to stop that now as he have the same card as me.
The problem is I just do not like Windows 10, i use 8.1 with a decent start menu and apart from the look of the UI, it works like Windows 7.

Not long now until the end of the offer then we can get back to normal and not bother with software to stop MS nagging us, that is if MS do not extend the offer.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-May-16 01:27:00
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I'm now on Win 10 and it boots up straight to the desktop just like I had 8.1 doing. I only see any tiles when I use the Windows button to get to use Solitaire. Which now opens in a desktop Window instead of the 8.1 Metro full screen.

The main difference is the slide-in Charms have gone, with settings and power etc. now available from the Windows task bar icon.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-May-16 06:47:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know what Windows 10 is like, I was a insider for a while, then I decided not to be an insider. I carried on using it, but on a second drive, i used it until a few weeks after the last November update and then the hard drive which was getting on decided to die.

So yes i know how the start menu works, i just don't like it, so if I went back to Windows 10 it would be replaced. TBH, I just don't like Windows 10 full stop and there really is no advantage in changing from 8.1 to 10.
The spying is my main problem with 10 and the forced updates.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-May-16 10:55:11
Print Post

I turned off all the obvious spying during both installations. There's probably some others as well - I have an article listing what needs doing but haven't bothered with checking against it yet. Also another about useless apps that you can remove.

I'm not sure you understand me re the Start menu. I simply don't see it except when I want to switch off or load Solitaire. Just the same as I didn't see it on 8.1, where it was only needed for Solitaire as switching off was through the swipe-in Charms.

I just have a standard Windows desktop with about a couple of dozen icons and half a dozen pinned links on the taskbar. Not the Start menu tiles.

Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-May-16 11:16:18
Print Post

I recently switched to Win 10.

1 new computer (bought it)
1 older computer - Free upgrade from Win 7 (clean install)
1 laptop - Free upgrade from Win 8.1 (Upgrade install)

I have been delighted with it so far. On the older computers it is much quicker.
I did have to upgrade 2 software packages. One was at least 10 years old. The other was newer (Dragon Dictate), however the improvements in accuracy outweigh the cost.

My printers are attached to the main machine. After sharing them they installed almost automatically on the others.

So far a very good experience.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-May-16 16:17:25
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

A couple of questions, if I may Philip.

One of my main concerns relates to my two printers, a HP 1200 LaserJet and an Oki 5200n colour laser. Both old in the tooth, the HP being a real workhorse and prints great, even on the inside of pre-bought Christmas cards with glitter.... 13 years old and still going great. The Oki is also going strong, new Xfer belt last year and four new drums, so don't really want to replace something which is not broke.

There appears to be a driver available for the HP but my pc currently running Win7 Pro 64-bit struggled to print on it at first and still will not share with my wife's Win7 Pro 32-bit pc. According to Oki's website they do not have a Win10 driver, but an awaiting an email back from them to confirm either way,

My other problem is that I run a couple of network USB servers (to enable USB devices to be connected to my network) These are a Silex SX-2000U2 and a Silex SX-DS-3000U1 Both a few years old. These each need two pieces of software, oddly one is available for Win 10 the other is not! Seems odd. I have emailed Silex for their guidance.

Going back to the printers, grateful if you could have a look on your Win 10 pc to see whether they are listed in the Adding a Printer section (I assume Win 10 has something similar to Win7 and WinXP)

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-May-16 19:30:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Still have telemetry, there is software that says they get rid of it, but not sure if they do. MS done a update to put the same telemetry on Windows 7 and 8.1, I did not download it.

Some apps will remove with ease, but others you need to use the powershell to do it.

so you stick everything on the desktop and taskbar, I do not like icons on the desktop, I have got a few on the taskbar, the rest are on the start menu.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-May-16 19:32:02
Print Post

Just a quickie, if Windows 8 drivers are available for the printer they should work with Windows 10,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-May-16 19:52:41
Print Post

With the Oki C5200n is seems to get convoluted. Their website has nothing for Win 8 or 8.1 and for Win 7 says to use Vista drivers! That said my C5200n prints happily from my Win7 64-bit Pro pc. Cannot remember now whether it picked up the drivers from the Win 7 disk or what.

As for my HP 1200 Whilst there is a Win 7 driver listed, many users have had difficulty using it. At first I could not. Eventually I found that I could print so long as I used the USB port on the printer and not the LPT parallel connection which I preferred.

Until "something happened" my HP1200 was on my network with a printer network adapter - Netgear. I could print from WinXP as could my wife on her WinXP pc. Then after returning from holiday with everything switched off the printer network adapter refused to work or reinstall. I am suspicious since on another occasion I "lost" my Canon Lide 80 scanner ability to use Microsoft Office Document Scanning. Eventually found out that this was a deliberate feature on an Office upgrade which was to bring Office 2003 (what I use) into line with a later version! Eventually managed to return usability, only to loose the use of that scanner completely when I went to Win 7 - Canon deciding not to provide Win 7 64-bit drivers for the Lide 80. (They do offer 32-bit) And nothing for Win 10 either!

That's a thought? Wonder if my Lide 210 is Win 10 compatible? And it is, released last month.

Talk about built in obsolescence...

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-May-16 21:20:31
Print Post

The windows coding team broke the LPT driver in the November update and it has only recently been fixed with a windows update. The quick fix was to write a script to disable then enable the LPT port at boot up before they fixed it.

My Lide 220 is win 10 compatible.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-May-16 23:23:46
Print Post

HP LaserJet 1200 PCL5
Hp LaseeJet 1200 PS
OKI PCL6 Class driver

Are all listed, though particularly in the case of the OKI I am not sure if these are yours.

My HP BW lasjet is the HP6P which I think is at lease 17 years old and Win 10 did not even bat an eyelid at that

Interestingly I had to hunt for the add a printer by hand (the old method as WIN 10 certainly initially and with my printers just did it all automatically.

I am afraid I am not an expert on virtual machines, though I have used it to revive an old scanner (which I forgot to mention I did have to ditch after 12 years). However it should be possible for you to set up something like ORACLE Virtual machine which is free, then install WIN 10 within that. I useda link from this pageto get my copy of Win 10 for the fresh install. During the install if I remember correctly I just fed in my WIN 7 key. Once you have the virtual machine up and running you should be able to test the printers.

I hope this is helpful but I confess all I know about USB servers has been gleened from Google after typing in your device names.

Edit: the scanner I had to ditch on the upgrade was an Epson 2580 photscanner. It had an excellent negative feeder. Epson refused to release a 64bit driver so for a few years to use the photo bits, I have had to hook it up to an XP machine. I could have kept it and used Vuscan which can drive it from Win 10, but you have to buy that and a new better scanner was almost the same price, though not as good with negatives I suspect. Built in obsolescence as you say.

Edited by philippercival (Mon 02-May-16 23:35:00)

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 08:12:56
Print Post

Both my printers, HP Laserjet 1320 and Epson XP-605, and my Epson V500 scanner, worked straight away after installing Win 10. Installing Win 7 after XP I had some fiddling to do to get the LJ1320 & V500 working (the XP-605 was Win 7 from the beginning).

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 21:00:12
Print Post

I heard back today from both OKI and Silex.

Oki say in reply to my Win 10 driver availability for a C5200n, "Currently there are no drivers for this printer for Windows 10, and unfortunately I don't have information about eta of releasing them."

That does not sound too good.

Silex reply was, "We have not tested old products like the SX-2000U2 with the latest version of SX-Virtual Link. But SX-VL 3.17.0 or 4.0.0 is compatible with Windows 10 and should work fine."

Which is good news should I buy a new colour printer.

I may try one of my pc's on Win10 and see what happens, they say that you can go back....

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776
Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 03-May-16 22:18:33
Print Post

I've had long hair pulling sessions recently getting an HP5100N working under Win10 but I finally managed it by installing a Win7 driver. My view was that the printer was still perfectly serviceable so it was worth persevering and it has paid off in the end.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-May-16 09:48:53
Print Post

Do you really need to update to Windows 10? you could try it and then if it don't work go back to your old OS, that way your computer is then linked with Windows 10 and if at some point after the offer you get new printers you can install 10 again.

My HP scanner is getting on now, but HP makes drivers for Windows 8.1 which works on 10, even the software works, but that was made for XP, the software is not needed but it does make the buttons on the front of the scanner functional. The only problems I did have with Windows 10 was with it own scanner software, for some reason I did not recognise the paper feeder on the scanner and sometimes the computer did not recognise the scanner full stop. Never had a problem in Xp,7 or 8.1

Windows 8.1 reconises my printer and install their own drivers, so Windows 10 did the same thing, but no software to check the ink level. Thankfully Canon produces the drivers for both 8.1 and then, mainly because the printer is still being produced.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-May-16 10:06:13
Print Post

I am sure that it is not really necessary to update from WIN 7, at the moment. Win & was always a very nice interface and for me at any rate fairly efficient compared to what came before.

The "BUT" though is that periodically you do just need to bite the bullet and do it. I was in the process of buying one new computer and doing a shuffle round the house to get rid of a couple of very old XP machines, which had refused to stop working. Having got rid of the XP machines as everything else was entitled to the free upgrade, I decided to go ahead and get them all looking the same, well except for the Kubuntu Linux machine.

Sadly there is normally a cost to these things in that some hardware and software is almost bound to be incompatible.

HP I think are an example certainly with there printers where a little jiggling will almost always produce a working driver as almost everything they have ever produced still works. In part because they along with Epson set the standards back in the good old dot matrix days.

Another big BUT comes in here though, I can not remember what my early scanners and printers (Star - Epson compatible) cost, but it was hugely more than now and for good or evil I think that we have all gone down the disposable route now. Sadly though, even if you buy something really expensive, there are no cast iron guarantees that it will work on the next operating system.

Edited by philippercival (Wed 04-May-16 10:07:00)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-May-16 11:05:37
Print Post

Windows 7 is supported for another 4 years, I know plenty of people who is staying with windows 7, they have no intention of moving to Windows 10. Even some people like myself who are using Windows 8.1 that have no intention of moving and others who have moved to 10 and now wants to go back to 8.1. Once you get rid of the start screen, replace it with a start menu, then get rid of the silly side bars and the modern apps on 8.1 it really is not a bad OS, the UI is a bit bland that is the only problem, windows ten is worse.

I have been thinking of getting a new laptop, I think about it and then think why do I need one, I have one downstairs that i use once in a blue moon and have Linux on it, it is a bit slow as it is only a celeron, but I do think the CPU from my old Laptop that went pop on me last years is compatible and that is a dual core Intel something or other, so I may just try and stick that in and see if it works.

I have had a look at laptops, but I am fussy, I want a AMD A10 based machine with Windows 7 or 8.1 on, I do not want windows 10 installed on it. i have had a look, found some but then not sure about spending the money.,

I am not a fan of HP printers, I have seen far too many problems with them in the past and the price of ink is way over the top. I use Cannon printers, in fact I been thinking about getting a laser and looking at Canon for that. But HP scanners are great, i have a Scanjet 7650 and while it was expensive, not that I paid full price for it, it have been a good workhorse.
I do think about getting a all in one Canon, but to be honest I am happy with my set up. The only advantages about a all in one is they take less space and you can normally copy documents without the computer.

You are right a lot are throw away now, but that is the same for a lot of things, if your TV went wrong would you get it fixed? My TV cost £600 7 years back, if it went wrong I would have to think about if it was worth fixing, even if I do think that it is better than most TV sets on the market. It is a plasma, but I could pick up a decent set these days for about £300.

Well according to Microsoft, Windows 10 is the last one it will just be updated, not sure how true that is, but then we do not know what the future holds in hardware technology and what they will come up with that Windows 10 will not run on, I mean CPU wise.
Saying that I think by that time I will not be worrying about it.
It is annoying when you buy a bit of hardware and find that it will not work with the next version of the OS. i have a sound card, which works with 10, but MS do not like the drivers and Windows 10 replace them and then the card don't work and there is not way to stop that happening, another reason why I will not use ten.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to