Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-May-16 16:55:56
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade will end July 29

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Aren't those exactly the activities they are interested in wrt people in any level of public service? Blackmail of someone with sensitive information is one of the greatest security risks we face.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-May-16 12:21:54
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade will end July 29 *DELETED*

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-May-16 12:56:42
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Debate is fine, but only when the language falls within the site rules and does not carry the risk of causing offense

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-May-16 20:39:10
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Just because you disagree with those people does not mean they're wrong and you're right. All it means is that you have different views and opinions on things.

Both are valid.

It's no different to, say Sturgeon, angling for another referendum until the Scottish people give the right answer, i.e. the answer that agrees with her.

I do not think I saiod they was wrong and I was right and in this instance there is no wrong or right as such apart from the fact that companies and not just software companies seems to think it is their right to get as much info on as as possible and that includes the ones think broadband uses for advertising. Nothing against advertising, but they do not need to know what site I visit to advertise.

I just think it is sad that people will give up all privacy these days.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-16 10:02:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Bit harsh!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User pxr5
(regular) Sat 04-Jun-16 08:19:11
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

This is interesting. I'm getting a little confused with contradicting information I'm reading on the Windows 10 Upgrade protocol. Basically I may be getting a new PC and want to know what I can install on it. Effectively:

I own Windows 7 Retail, currently installed on my PC.

I can install this on a new PC as long as it's removed from the first PC

I've updated my PC to Windows 10 (before 29 July 2016)

Windows 10 is now activated with Microsoft on my PC

I rolled back my PC to Windows 7 as the ethernet connection kept dropping

Is this Windows 10 license/activation linked to the Windows 7 retail key or the my PC's hardware? (I've read this retail WIndows 7 licence would have converted to a Windows 10 retail, but also that it is Windows 10 OEM).

If the former I should be able to install windows 10 on a new PC, even after 29 July 2016 - correct?
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 04-Jun-16 09:46:50
Print Post

[re: pxr5] [link to this post]

Pretty sure that the automatic activation process still ties the entitlement to specific hardware no matter what. However, you can now manually link your Windows 10 upgrade to a Windows 7/8 product key. This wasn't possible originally hence the conflicting information. Unfortunately, in your case, it does mean re-upgrading to Windows 10 to do the linking.

So on your upgraded Windows 10 PC go to Settings -> Updates -> Activation (or just type Activation into the start menu); click 'Change Product Key' then enter your Windows 7/8 retail key. Now when you buy a new PC you should be able to activate your Windows 10 install using the Windows 7/8 product key even after July 29th.

John.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jun-16 17:31:36
Print Post

[re: pxr5] [link to this post]

If you have a retail version of windows 7 then any updates related to your windows 7 can be installed on any computer as long as you do not have the original Windows 7 or the Windows 10 linked to your windows 10 running on another machine.

in other words, yes you can run Windows ten using your windows 7 key on another machine.

But if you are gong to run windows 10 on the new machine then why bother using your key?
the other problem is that some machines mainly laptops will have the key in the UEFI, so that may confuse the issue

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jun-16 17:33:38
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sark:
Pretty sure that the automatic activation process still ties the entitlement to specific hardware no matter what. However, you can now manually link your Windows 10 upgrade to a Windows 7/8 product key. This wasn't possible originally hence the conflicting information. Unfortunately, in your case, it does mean re-upgrading to Windows 10 to do the linking.

So on your upgraded Windows 10 PC go to Settings -> Updates -> Activation (or just type Activation into the start menu); click 'Change Product Key' then enter your Windows 7/8 retail key. Now when you buy a new PC you should be able to activate your Windows 10 install using the Windows 7/8 product key even after July 29th.

His version of Windows 7 is retail, so he can run it on any computer as long as erases it from the original computer.
That is why I got a retail version because I build my own computer and used to update it a lot I was not limited on how much I could update.

OEM versions of Windows are linked to machines.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 04-Jun-16 18:14:21
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Yeah Windows 7 no problem. But if he tries to upgrade to Windows 10 after July 29th without first linking the upgrade to his Windows 7 product key before July 29th then it won't activate. I don't think it's enough to do the automatic activation, I think you have to enter the key manually.

You still might be able to get Microsoft support to authorise the upgrade though. I guess they'll be pretty lenient about it as they want everyone on Windows 10 anyway. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft announce an extension to the free upgrade programme on July 29th.

John.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to