Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 20:21:24
Print Post

Windows 10 free upgrade will end July 29

[link to this post]

There's been speculation here and elsewhere
...some people have been wondering whether Microsoft will extend or make the free upgrade offer permanent.
But in Windows blog
The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 was a first for Microsoft, helping people upgrade faster than ever before. And time is running out. The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 and we want to make sure you donít miss out. After July 29th, youíll be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119.
Of course it's possible Microsoft may change their approach but I wouldn't bet on it.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 22:02:16
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade will end July 29

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

We will see, Ms have done too many u-turns.
Since I have already installed windows 10, my 8.1 is linked to it so I can install 10 after the free offer if I want to. My windows 8 is a retail version, not a OEM.

Also a link to tell you how to get Windows 10 for free after the 29th.July.

http://www.neowin.net/news/fyi-how-to-get-a-free-upg...

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-16 06:38:52
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Suspect its a marketing thing to get people to install it now. I still wont bother.

As been said you cant take anything MS say seriously

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-May-16 08:01:40
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

i suspect it may get extended by a little bit too.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-May-16 10:06:27
Print Post

The text in that link says upgrade for free at any time, then in the list of steps Step 3 says to buy a retail copy???

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-May-16 10:59:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It actually says:
If you buy a retail copy of Windows, you can install that on one PC.
so it's not telling you to buy a copy, just how you can - in effect - do so for free.

Not perhaps the best wording, but the procedure they outline tells you how to "buy" a Windows 10 retail licence for free. It's just a question of 1. do the free upgrade now, then 2. downgrade again. This gives you the Windows 10 licence which you can use at a future date if you wish.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-May-16 11:01:46
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I'm not so sure. Pretty much everyone who is going to go for the free upgrade will have done so by now.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-May-16 15:19:53
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Please explain how you buy something (a retail copy of Win 10) for free. All you've basically done is repeat the nonsense I pointed out.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-May-16 15:44:55
Print Post

You probably want to consider the meaning of the word "if".
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-May-16 21:33:17
Print Post

That paragraph seems to be there to explain the difference between a retail and OEM copy. It's actually irrelevant and only serves to cause confusion.

The whole article is simply long-winded waffle which explains that to upgrade after July 29 for free, you have to upgrade before July 29 for free.

Oliver.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 06:34:20
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Hopefully it shows people that they do have a choice, in that they can update and then go back to their old Os until they are ready if they ever are to update to 10

Not the best article I know.

I updated to 10 and then reinstalled 8.1. My version of windows is a retail version, so ten is linked to it and not the computer.

I am thinking of getting a laptop,, but not sure yet, but I want to get it in the next month as I want windows 8.1 on it and it is getting hard to get now, i also want to get a AMD based one.
If I get a windows 8 one I can update it to 10 and then roll back other wise I will be have to buy a windows 8 disk, if it is possible to get one now.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-May-16 10:24:33
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I tend to agree, Oliver. However, if we are right, in a list of instructions as to what to do it isn't just irrelevant. It is positively misleading.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-May-16 10:29:16
Print Post

You need to try a SATS grammar test for 11-year-olds, and get some tuition on English comprehension. Plus the relevance of context to the meaning of many sentences.

In short, don't be so (expletive deleted) rude. You have completely failed to understand what is wrong.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-May-16 10:34:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
You probably want to consider the meaning of the word "if".
First, I don't "want" to do any such thing.

Second, what is the "probably" there for?

Third, if you meant "need", then it is you who needs to brush up on both grammar and vocabulary.

Once you've done that you may be able to make useful comments.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-May-16 10:39:49
Print Post

Adrian, you've said a few times that yours is a retail copy. By that, do you mean it is the standard free update that we are all offered, or something else that is also free? I do remember seeing a method months ago on how to obtain or create an ISO disc, but thought that was to do with doing a clean install rather than an in situ upgrade.

Is that what you mean by a retail copy please?

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-16 10:52:26
Print Post

It would probably be better to keep snide, personal comments to the Park forum rather than letting them intrude here.

Most of us are trying to help the OP; you seem intent on trying to trip people up. Enough already.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 11:08:05
Print Post

As the OP I don't see where I was seeking any help.

In case you have signatures turned off, I'm already on Windows 10 on both desktop and laptop, and am very happy with it. As are all the people I know who have self-upgraded or who I have helped to upgrade.

I was merely highlighting an announcement that confirmed, albeit in Microsoft-speak, the cut-off for the free upgrade. The fact people may then revert to their previous OS doesn't negate that cut-off date, they've still taken advantage of the free upgrade.

And, to be honest, Microsoft-speak is nothing particularly unusual or special, it's very similar to the outpouring of the marketing or PR units within many companies.

Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-May-16 11:20:45
Print Post

It would probably be better to keep snide, personal comments to the Park forum rather than letting them intrude here.

Most of us are trying to help the OP; you seem intent on trying to trip people up. Enough already.
You seem to be having a bad day? I hope things improve for you. And, as a result, for the rest of us.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-16 11:44:27
Print Post

Forgive me if I should have said "help other people" rather than "help the OP".

Clearly help is not sought by anyone, so I'll leave the Windows forum alone in future.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-May-16 12:29:13
Print Post

Like this?
Most of us are trying to help ...; you seem intent on trying to trip people up.
Your speciality throughout the forum, IMHO.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 16:51:31
Print Post

My Windows 7 pro is what they call a retail version, in that it came in a box with two versions of Windows 7, 32 bit and 64 bit, it also means I can use it on any computer I want as long as I uninstall it from the old machine. Because I had that got a discounted version of Windows 8 as they offered it at a discount to windows 7 users for a while. Still pro and still classed as retail. So If i update to Windows 10 that would also be classed as retail and will be linked to my Windows 8 key and not the computer.

A OEM versions of windows is what comes with a prebuilt machine and laptops normally, in that they can only be used on that product, if you update a OEM version of Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 then it is linked to the computer. If you do a roll back to your old OS, you can still reinstall Windows 10 at a later date.

]

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 16:53:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
As the OP I don't see where I was seeking any help.

In case you have signatures turned off, I'm already on Windows 10 on both desktop and laptop, and am very happy with it. As are all the people I know who have self-upgraded or who I have helped to upgrade.

I was merely highlighting an announcement that confirmed, albeit in Microsoft-speak, the cut-off for the free upgrade. The fact people may then revert to their previous OS doesn't negate that cut-off date, they've still taken advantage of the free upgrade.

And, to be honest, Microsoft-speak is nothing particularly unusual or special, it's very similar to the outpouring of the marketing or PR units within many companies.

But do all the people you updated
know about the spying on Windows 10 or have left that bit out while trying to encourage them to update? If they know about the spying and the EULA they may not be so happy to have Windows 10 on their machines.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 19:10:54
Print Post

Windows 10 spies no more or less than Windows 8 tbh - all the additional spying features can be simply switched off anyway.
Not a big deal.

People would be foolish to not seize the upgrade opportunity unless they have specific reasons not to (very old/bespoke hardware, applications etc).

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 19:47:38
Print Post

Try switching off the telemetry in Windows 10 then and see how far you will get. Have a closer look at the Windows 10 EULA,

I know that MS had some updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 to do the same telemetry, but at least it is possible to stop them downloading and installing. That is another problem with Windows 10, very little control over updates.

Windows 10 is very much cloud based and Ms only allows you to turn off a minimal amount.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-May-16 20:09:14
Print Post

Facebook has 1.5 billion users. No-one cares about security. Get over it wink
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 21:12:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Facebook has 1.5 billion users. No-one cares about security. Get over it wink

I am on facebook myself, but I only give out the info I want them to know. There is a difference to giving out the data than having it snatched from you.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-May-16 22:07:33
Print Post

I don't think you're representative of the 1.5 billion others TBH
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 22:38:12
Print Post

I've got all the privacy invading nonsense features switched off and Win10 works fine.

All this [censored] is there to aid the average user, admittedly I don't want it, there is still the option though to turn it off, it doesn't mean you don't need to upgrade.

The same was said about Windows 8 smile

(and also I remember when XP came out people said it was spying on users... same old paranoia)

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-May-16 06:47:54
Print Post

I don't think you're representative of the 1.5 billion others TBH

But I do not care what 1.5 billion other people do TBH. i doubt many people turn location and GPS off on their phone, I do.l so just because a billion people follow each other like sheep, don't mean I have to.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-May-16 06:54:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I've got all the privacy invading nonsense features switched off and Win10 works fine.

All this [censored] is there to aid the average user, admittedly I don't want it, there is still the option though to turn it off, it doesn't mean you don't need to upgrade.

The same was said about Windows 8 smile

(and also I remember when XP came out people said it was spying on users... same old paranoia)

You think you have it all turned off? you have turned off what MS don't mind you turning off, like Cortana and knowing about you, that is if it is really turned off and not still sitting in the background, which people say it is.
Telemetry can not be turned off, it have settings, but they are hidden unless you know what you are looking for. there is software that claims they can turn it off, but even if they can, why should we have to use software to do that?

As for XP spying, there have always been talk that there is a back door to the NSA/CIA/GCHQ. the same with 7 and 8, how true that is , i do not know. There is now a update for 7 and 8 that puts the same telemetry spy wear on windows 7 and 8, but thankfully a lot of people knows about it and put it out on the net and now that update is blocked on my computer.

Even without the spying i do not like Windows 10 and to be honest I have no reason to updated or downgrade to it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 07:13:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
But I do not care what 1.5 billion other people do TBH. i doubt many people turn location and GPS off on their phone, I do.l so just because a billion people follow each other like sheep, don't mean I have to.
Fair enough and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but you were using the argument about "other people"
But do all the people you updated know about the spying on Windows 10 or have left that bit out while trying to encourage them to update? If they know about the spying and the EULA they may not be so happy to have Windows 10 on their machines.
and I was just saying that "other people" probably don't hold your views. The example is Facebook, here we have 1.5 billion users documenting their lives on an hourly basis which essentially eliminates their privacy.

The think about spying as shown by Gordon Welchman in Hut 6 is that it isn't necessary to know exactly what is being said; all you need to know is who said something, who they said it to, when they said it - the metadata. And this is exactly what Facebook reveals to the world.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-May-16 09:47:50
Print Post

I am a fool!!!!!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-May-16 09:50:38
Print Post

Hooray!

Standard User neo_wales
(learned) Sun 08-May-16 12:19:45
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

To be honest I don't give a dam about being 'spied on' by MS/Google/Facebook et al; makes no difference to me in the real world.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-May-16 13:26:46
Print Post

But do all the people you updated know about the spying on Windows 10 or have left that bit out while trying to encourage them to update? If they know about the spying and the EULA they may not be so happy to have Windows 10 on their machines.
Yes.

When I was working I was respected by my customers for my integrity & honesty. That continues in the help and advice I offer to those who ask for help and advice, I tell them as best as I can what the situation is and let them decide. And I also practice what I preach. I never advised anyone to go Windows 10 (or earlier versions) until I was using it on one of my systems.

I've yet to actually talk to anyone who's bothered about what computer systems, search engines, applications, store about their usage. They get on with their lives without such paranoia.

Tony
Standard User neo_wales
(learned) Sun 08-May-16 22:50:05
Print Post

Yes.

When I was working I was respected by my customers for my integrity & honesty. That continues in the help and advice I offer to those who ask for help and advice, I tell them as best as I can what the situation is and let them decide. And I also practice what I preach. I never advised anyone to go Windows 10 (or earlier versions) until I was using it on one of my systems.

I've yet to actually talk to anyone who's bothered about what computer systems, search engines, applications, store about their usage. They get on with their lives without such paranoia.

Good post CM, sadly W10 seems to attract tin foil hat wearers and common sense/logic seems to fall on their deaf ears frown

Even stranger is that they are all using the internent/smart phones LOL

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-May-16 07:02:48
Print Post

Fair enough and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but you were using the argument about "other people"

I really don't understand people they saay about privacy and then they just give all the information out .

and I was just saying that "other people" probably don't hold your views. The example is Facebook, here we have 1.5 billion users documenting their lives on an hourly basis which essentially eliminates their privacy.

The think about spying as shown by Gordon Welchman in Hut 6 is that it isn't necessary to know exactly what is being said; all you need to know is who said something, who they said it to, when they said it - the metadata. And this is exactly what Facebook reveals to the world.

This is the problem, as I said avbove I do not understand people, they complain about all the CCTV on the streets and yet allow so much of their info to be sent around over the net.

If I do update someone's computer to windows 10 i will get them to read the EULA and also some other sites jkust to make sure they know what they are giving away. But then with MS doing the dirty and pushing their telemetry to windows 7 and 8, most peoiple have no idea the data that gives out.

If people do not care about their privacy, I wonder if they would want Cameras set up in their home and someone looking at all their private documents.

Up to people at the end of the day, I will stay as I am, if I could find the software I require on Linux I would go to that permanently, but sadly I can't so I got to stay with Windows on the main computer.

Most of my friends and mates do care about privacy and most are staying with Windows 7/8.1 and got rid of the telemetry update. Some have even gone to Linux, because for what most of them require of their computer Linux does the job.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-May-16 07:05:08
Print Post

Yes.

And that is the scary thing, they are so used to their privacy being invaded that they just lets it happen, it is not paranoia at all, because it is happen, privacy is being invaded and yet people just let it happen.

Up to them at the end of the day, I have enough of the cameras at work being on my all day, nice to get home and have some privacy.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-May-16 08:02:16
Print Post

Just because you disagree with those people does not mean they're wrong and you're right. All it means is that you have different views and opinions on things.

Both are valid.

It's no different to, say Sturgeon, angling for another referendum until the Scottish people give the right answer, i.e. the answer that agrees with her.

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Mon 09-May-16 08:03:57)

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-May-16 16:13:39
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

Only those that are doing illegal activities need be worried. I don't think any snooping agencies are bothered about affairs, people looking at porn, etc.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-May-16 16:55:56
Print Post

Aren't those exactly the activities they are interested in wrt people in any level of public service? Blackmail of someone with sensitive information is one of the greatest security risks we face.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-May-16 12:21:54
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade will end July 29 *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-May-16 12:56:42
Print Post

Debate is fine, but only when the language falls within the site rules and does not carry the risk of causing offense

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-May-16 20:39:10
Print Post

Just because you disagree with those people does not mean they're wrong and you're right. All it means is that you have different views and opinions on things.

Both are valid.

It's no different to, say Sturgeon, angling for another referendum until the Scottish people give the right answer, i.e. the answer that agrees with her.

I do not think I saiod they was wrong and I was right and in this instance there is no wrong or right as such apart from the fact that companies and not just software companies seems to think it is their right to get as much info on as as possible and that includes the ones think broadband uses for advertising. Nothing against advertising, but they do not need to know what site I visit to advertise.

I just think it is sad that people will give up all privacy these days.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-16 10:02:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Bit harsh!

Standard User pxr5
(regular) Sat 04-Jun-16 08:19:11
Print Post

This is interesting. I'm getting a little confused with contradicting information I'm reading on the Windows 10 Upgrade protocol. Basically I may be getting a new PC and want to know what I can install on it. Effectively:

I own Windows 7 Retail, currently installed on my PC.

I can install this on a new PC as long as it's removed from the first PC

I've updated my PC to Windows 10 (before 29 July 2016)

Windows 10 is now activated with Microsoft on my PC

I rolled back my PC to Windows 7 as the ethernet connection kept dropping

Is this Windows 10 license/activation linked to the Windows 7 retail key or the my PC's hardware? (I've read this retail WIndows 7 licence would have converted to a Windows 10 retail, but also that it is Windows 10 OEM).

If the former I should be able to install windows 10 on a new PC, even after 29 July 2016 - correct?
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 04-Jun-16 09:46:50
Print Post

[re: pxr5] [link to this post]

Pretty sure that the automatic activation process still ties the entitlement to specific hardware no matter what. However, you can now manually link your Windows 10 upgrade to a Windows 7/8 product key. This wasn't possible originally hence the conflicting information. Unfortunately, in your case, it does mean re-upgrading to Windows 10 to do the linking.

So on your upgraded Windows 10 PC go to Settings -> Updates -> Activation (or just type Activation into the start menu); click 'Change Product Key' then enter your Windows 7/8 retail key. Now when you buy a new PC you should be able to activate your Windows 10 install using the Windows 7/8 product key even after July 29th.

John.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jun-16 17:31:36
Print Post

If you have a retail version of windows 7 then any updates related to your windows 7 can be installed on any computer as long as you do not have the original Windows 7 or the Windows 10 linked to your windows 10 running on another machine.

in other words, yes you can run Windows ten using your windows 7 key on another machine.

But if you are gong to run windows 10 on the new machine then why bother using your key?
the other problem is that some machines mainly laptops will have the key in the UEFI, so that may confuse the issue

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jun-16 17:33:38
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sark:
Pretty sure that the automatic activation process still ties the entitlement to specific hardware no matter what. However, you can now manually link your Windows 10 upgrade to a Windows 7/8 product key. This wasn't possible originally hence the conflicting information. Unfortunately, in your case, it does mean re-upgrading to Windows 10 to do the linking.

So on your upgraded Windows 10 PC go to Settings -> Updates -> Activation (or just type Activation into the start menu); click 'Change Product Key' then enter your Windows 7/8 retail key. Now when you buy a new PC you should be able to activate your Windows 10 install using the Windows 7/8 product key even after July 29th.

His version of Windows 7 is retail, so he can run it on any computer as long as erases it from the original computer.
That is why I got a retail version because I build my own computer and used to update it a lot I was not limited on how much I could update.

OEM versions of Windows are linked to machines.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 04-Jun-16 18:14:21
Print Post

Yeah Windows 7 no problem. But if he tries to upgrade to Windows 10 after July 29th without first linking the upgrade to his Windows 7 product key before July 29th then it won't activate. I don't think it's enough to do the automatic activation, I think you have to enter the key manually.

You still might be able to get Microsoft support to authorise the upgrade though. I guess they'll be pretty lenient about it as they want everyone on Windows 10 anyway. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft announce an extension to the free upgrade programme on July 29th.

John.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-16 10:42:29
Print Post

Sorry to ask this, what someones may say, obvious question. If after upgrading to Windows 10 and LINKing Windows 10 updates to my Windows 7 "Product Key" as advised before. Then after reverting to Windows 7 from this Windows 10 update, HOW DO I restart my Windows 10 update again, if I wish to in later date, in my now Windows 7 Environment? Do I need to prepare a FULL copy of Windows 10 somewhere in a "bootable" format and activate it with my Windows 7 "Product Key", now linking to Windows 10 installation, or there will be a "Link" somewhere in my Windows 7 after previous linking of Windows 10 to Windows 7??

Thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sun 05-Jun-16 11:40:46
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

I'm not sure if Windows 10 will still appear in Windows Update after a rollback. But worst case you can just go here to upgrade again. It won't need activating again if it was previously installed on the same PC.

John.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-16 14:11:35
Print Post

But worst case you can just go here to upgrade again. It won't need activating again if it was previously installed on the same PC.

This LINK is exactly what I'm looking for IF I needed to upgrade to Windows 10 again after the previous rollback to Windows 7 from Windows 10 on the same PC.
Many thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jun-16 13:06:39
Print Post

I'm not sure if Windows 10 will still appear in Windows Update after a rollback. But worst case you can just go here to upgrade again. It won't need activating again if it was previously installed on the same PC.

after a roll back you think you have got away with it, but after a few weeks it all starts again and tries to get you to update again, in fact i know someone where MS have tried to update their machine again after a roll back.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User pxr5
(regular) Sat 02-Jul-16 12:03:25
Print Post

Thank you - that works. I've just upgraded to WIndows 10 on my old PC again and activated it using the Windows 7 retail key. I'm supposing now, that when I get a new PC it's just a matter of entering this 'key' during installation.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jul-16 20:24:50
Print Post

Both my desktop and laptop PCs were upgraded to Win10 from Win 7 Pro (full retail version). I then did a clean install from an ISO. They are now running Win 10 Pro with the Win10 generic licence key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T (they have very slightly different Product Ids). Both systems are fully activated.

If I were to change the licence key (Product Id?) to the relevant Windows 7 Pro licence key, does that mean I can then use that key on a replacement PC to activate an ISO built Win10?

In general, what are the benefits of so changing the licence key?

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to