Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 16:51:31
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade will end July 29

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My Windows 7 pro is what they call a retail version, in that it came in a box with two versions of Windows 7, 32 bit and 64 bit, it also means I can use it on any computer I want as long as I uninstall it from the old machine. Because I had that got a discounted version of Windows 8 as they offered it at a discount to windows 7 users for a while. Still pro and still classed as retail. So If i update to Windows 10 that would also be classed as retail and will be linked to my Windows 8 key and not the computer.

A OEM versions of windows is what comes with a prebuilt machine and laptops normally, in that they can only be used on that product, if you update a OEM version of Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 then it is linked to the computer. If you do a roll back to your old OS, you can still reinstall Windows 10 at a later date.

]

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 16:53:32
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
As the OP I don't see where I was seeking any help.

In case you have signatures turned off, I'm already on Windows 10 on both desktop and laptop, and am very happy with it. As are all the people I know who have self-upgraded or who I have helped to upgrade.

I was merely highlighting an announcement that confirmed, albeit in Microsoft-speak, the cut-off for the free upgrade. The fact people may then revert to their previous OS doesn't negate that cut-off date, they've still taken advantage of the free upgrade.

And, to be honest, Microsoft-speak is nothing particularly unusual or special, it's very similar to the outpouring of the marketing or PR units within many companies.

But do all the people you updated
know about the spying on Windows 10 or have left that bit out while trying to encourage them to update? If they know about the spying and the EULA they may not be so happy to have Windows 10 on their machines.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 19:10:54
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Windows 10 spies no more or less than Windows 8 tbh - all the additional spying features can be simply switched off anyway.
Not a big deal.

People would be foolish to not seize the upgrade opportunity unless they have specific reasons not to (very old/bespoke hardware, applications etc).

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 19:47:38
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Try switching off the telemetry in Windows 10 then and see how far you will get. Have a closer look at the Windows 10 EULA,

I know that MS had some updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 to do the same telemetry, but at least it is possible to stop them downloading and installing. That is another problem with Windows 10, very little control over updates.

Windows 10 is very much cloud based and Ms only allows you to turn off a minimal amount.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-May-16 20:09:14
Print Post

Facebook has 1.5 billion users. No-one cares about security. Get over it wink
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 21:12:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Facebook has 1.5 billion users. No-one cares about security. Get over it wink

I am on facebook myself, but I only give out the info I want them to know. There is a difference to giving out the data than having it snatched from you.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-May-16 22:07:33
Print Post

I don't think you're representative of the 1.5 billion others TBH
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-May-16 22:38:12
Print Post

I've got all the privacy invading nonsense features switched off and Win10 works fine.

All this [censored] is there to aid the average user, admittedly I don't want it, there is still the option though to turn it off, it doesn't mean you don't need to upgrade.

The same was said about Windows 8 smile

(and also I remember when XP came out people said it was spying on users... same old paranoia)

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-May-16 06:47:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I don't think you're representative of the 1.5 billion others TBH

But I do not care what 1.5 billion other people do TBH. i doubt many people turn location and GPS off on their phone, I do.l so just because a billion people follow each other like sheep, don't mean I have to.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-May-16 06:54:38
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I've got all the privacy invading nonsense features switched off and Win10 works fine.

All this [censored] is there to aid the average user, admittedly I don't want it, there is still the option though to turn it off, it doesn't mean you don't need to upgrade.

The same was said about Windows 8 smile

(and also I remember when XP came out people said it was spying on users... same old paranoia)

You think you have it all turned off? you have turned off what MS don't mind you turning off, like Cortana and knowing about you, that is if it is really turned off and not still sitting in the background, which people say it is.
Telemetry can not be turned off, it have settings, but they are hidden unless you know what you are looking for. there is software that claims they can turn it off, but even if they can, why should we have to use software to do that?

As for XP spying, there have always been talk that there is a back door to the NSA/CIA/GCHQ. the same with 7 and 8, how true that is , i do not know. There is now a update for 7 and 8 that puts the same telemetry spy wear on windows 7 and 8, but thankfully a lot of people knows about it and put it out on the net and now that update is blocked on my computer.

Even without the spying i do not like Windows 10 and to be honest I have no reason to updated or downgrade to it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to